Site Admin

ImageVSImage

Family Day | Wear Gold

Game Date/Time:
Saturday, September 17, at 3 PM
Media: ESPN+, Leatherneck Sports Network Radio
Live Stats: https://goleathernecks.com/sidearmstats ... ll/summary
Game Notes and Info: Western Illinois | Southern Utah

This Saturday is the home opener, hosting the Southern Utah Thunderbirds. SUU was a member of the Big Sky at the time this game was scheduled, although they are now in the new WAC. They've had two games so far, opening up the season with a 44-13 win over new (no scholarships) FCS St. Thomas, then getting steamrolled by FBS Top 15 Utah, 73-7. HC DeLane Fitzgerald is in his first year with SUU after spending 8 years at Frostburg State (DIII), racking up a 62-19 record there. Last year, SUU finished 1-10 overall, with the only win being by 5 over Tarleton State (they did play two FBS teams last year though).

History
WIU has played SUU 4 times in our history, winning all the games. We played a H&H series in '97 and '98, where WIU won the first game at SUU 45-6, then won the return game the next year 31-3 at Hanson Field. Then in 2001, we hosted them, winning 27-20 and went back out to their place the following year, winning 38-28. This weekend's game is "part 1" of another H&H series, with us returning to Cedar City, UT on 9/23/23.

Rankings
Sagarin Ratings (includes all 261 DI teams): WIU is #206
Massey Composite: WIU is #206 and SUU is #197
Massey Ratings gives us a 56% chance of winning this game, with a predicted score of 37-34 for the Leathernecks: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=935075210

So, it looks like it's likely to be a pretty even game. This is one of two games this season that Massey currently gives us better than 50% odds to win (the other is Indiana State).

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Was Clay Bruno on the QB Depth chart before this week? I cant remember.  He is now. 
He threw for a ton of yards and TDs for Rochester (IL) HS, leading them to 5A title.

We will have to start calling our QBs the Triumvirate Squad.  From what I have seen so far, the 2 other QBs are our best RBs as well but the season is very early. 

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

If we're not able to run the ball against these guys, I'm starting a petition to have #poundtherock removed from everything WIU and cease and desist sent to stop them from using it.  Joking, kind of.

SUU gave up 142 yards to St. T's running backs in week 1.  They gave up a 60 yarder on the first play and then a 15 yard TD run on the next.  Their next longest was 35 and we've only topped that twice in the last 3 years and 2 games (42 for Kendon Walker and 36 for Norris, both in 2019).  Of the last 553 runs by a running back we've had 6 to maybe 8 of those go for 20+ yards.  I know all but 28 of those carries were under the last regime, but not coming out the gate too hot this year with a long of 9.

Guess I don't really care if we have negative yards rushing and we win, but all this talk of pounding the rock and a long of 9 is crazy.

By the way, we win this one by 2 scores and have confidence out the you know what going into the UNI game.  WIU 31 - SUU 17

letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:22 pm Was Clay Bruno on the QB Depth chart before this week? I cant remember.  He is now. 
He threw for a ton of yards and TDs for Rochester (IL) HS, leading them to 5A title.

We will have to start calling our QBs the Triumvirate Squad.  From what I have seen so far, the 2 other QBs are our best RBs as well but the season is very early. 

Yeah, all 3 weeks have had the Ogala, or Davenport or Bruno.  
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:22 pm Was Clay Bruno on the QB Depth chart before this week? I cant remember.  He is now. 

Triumvirate Trio has a better ring to it.   :lol:
I will take a triumph by just about any trio or part thereof this week.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:From what I have seen so far, the 2 other QBs are our best RBs as well but the season is very early. 

I think Davenport might be our best punter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
PoundTheRock

SUU Coach talking about the upcoming game at around 24:09. 

WIU2DC

PoundTheRock wrote:SUU Coach talking about the upcoming game at around 24:09. 

ImageImageImage their HC has some jokes. Funny guy! Also, from what I saw of their game against St. Thomas if we don’t handle them all four quarters and win by 2-3 scores we will have a long conference play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

Looks like depth could be very important as it’s supposed to be in the mid 80s on Saturday 
GV Dad

I like our chances this weekend.  We should have a new face on the OL Saturday which will be a HUGE help.  That group has not played well so far.  Hoping vs S Utah we can get some running game going.  

Defensively, I think we found some kids that can play, and found out some kids we thought could really can't.  So I think we get a solid effort on D this game.  Watch #27 Aidan Harrison.  He's going to open some eyes.  Also #31 and #32, Reed and West.  True Fresh that really stepped up in the 4th Q last weekend.  

Travel will be a nightmare for S Utah.  You have to factor that in as well.  Hopefully we get a good crowd for the home opener.  

WIU 30  S Utah 17