10/22/22 - vs Youngstown State (Homecoming)

wiu712

But if that pass had been completed for a first down, Western would have been able to run out the clock.

letsgonecks

MB1965 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:53 pm I had to take some time before writing this as I was too upset Saturday night and all day Sunday. The Youngtown state coaches should be sending our HC/OC Meyers Hendrickson a BIG thank you card for the bonehead decision to call a pass play on 3rd and 3 with time ticking down while holding a 2 point lead  :roll: Call a run play and Youngtown is forced to call their last time out! This game was not lost on the field of play, it was lost on the sideline in the coaches box  :oops:

I agree and disagree.  We were destined to lose this game and I'll get to the timeout shortly.  First off, we blow coverage and get bailed out that the WR somehow goes down on his own.  The very next play we blow coverage again, in a game under 3 minutes with a 10 point lead.  Then by some f'd-up chance they botch a hold that could take them out of needing a stop and making a FG to tie, but instead pick it up and easily complete a 2 point conversion.  Now they're in a spot to win with a FG.

Ok, so we could have made them use the timeout and that does make sense.  We could also put the game away and not worry about our D giving up big plays, like on the last drive or the end of the SUU game or end of the half at UT-Martin.  Anyways, we run a play that has Whyte open, but there's no time.  I'm assuming it wasn't Karsjens job to chip anyone off the edge and was likely the expected read, but when he didn't, there was instant pressure and no time.  Maybe we pick it up with the run, but not so sure. 

We allow them to get down the field in 53 seconds.  On their first play, they not only get a huge chunk, but we let a guy catch the ball in the middle of field and get all the way out of bounds.  Then, they're going to use their last timeout with 9 seconds left and likely try a 50 yarder or have to chance running 1 more play and hope they're not tackled in bounds.  Instead we have an injury, they don't have to use their TO, they run a play that easily picks up 8 yards and a much more comfortable FG attempt.  What's crazy is Tre makes the play, gets up fine, takes a few steps and then goes down.  If he can somehow stay up for 2 more seconds or steps, they're charged a timeout.

Again, I get running the ball and seeing if we pick it up on the ground or at least forcing them to use a TO, but I've also seen teams put away the opponent with simple play-action and some sort of crossing or drag route into the flat.  Good teams get it down or don't put themselves in these spots.  We're just not there.  

rocki

letsgonecks wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:06 pm
MB1965 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:53 pm I had to take some time before writing this as I was too upset Saturday night and all day Sunday. The Youngtown state coaches should be sending our HC/OC Meyers Hendrickson a BIG thank you card for the bonehead decision to call a pass play on 3rd and 3 with time ticking down while holding a 2 point lead  :roll: Call a run play and Youngtown is forced to call their last time out! This game was not lost on the field of play, it was lost on the sideline in the coaches box  :oops:

I agree and disagree.  We were destined to lose this game and I'll get to the timeout shortly.  First off, we blow coverage and get bailed out that the WR somehow goes down on his own.  The very next play we blow coverage again, in a game under 3 minutes with a 10 point lead.  Then by some f'd-up chance they botch a hold that could take them out of needing a stop and making a FG to tie, but instead pick it up and easily complete a 2 point conversion.  Now they're in a spot to win with a FG.

Ok, so we could have made them use the timeout and that does make sense.  We could also put the game away and not worry about our D giving up big plays, like on the last drive or the end of the SUU game or end of the half at UT-Martin.  Anyways, we run a play that has Whyte open, but there's no time.  I'm assuming it wasn't Karsjens job to chip anyone off the edge and was likely the expected read, but when he didn't, there was instant pressure and no time.  Maybe we pick it up with the run, but not so sure. 

We allow them to get down the field in 53 seconds.  On their first play, they not only get a huge chunk, but we let a guy catch the ball in the middle of field and get all the way out of bounds.  Then, they're going to use their last timeout with 9 seconds left and likely try a 50 yarder or have to chance running 1 more play and hope they're not tackled in bounds.  Instead we have an injury, they don't have to use their TO, they run a play that easily picks up 8 yards and a much more comfortable FG attempt.  What's crazy is Tre makes the play, gets up fine, takes a few steps and then goes down.  If he can somehow stay up for 2 more seconds or steps, they're charged a timeout.

Again, I get running the ball and seeing if we pick it up on the ground or at least forcing them to use a TO, but I've also seen teams put away the opponent with simple play-action and some sort of crossing or drag route into the flat.  Good teams get it down or don't put themselves in these spots.  We're just not there.  

I didn't see the last 3 minutes of the game, so this question may be really stupid to those who did see the final 3 minutes, but how did we screw up and let them even get the touchdown/conversion that allowed the game to be won on a field goal? Yeah, those 3 points were the final nail in the coffin, but we started off 10 points ahead, not just 2. Apparently we mucked up the series before the FG possession, am I correct?
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:52 pm

I didn't see the last 3 minutes of the game, so this question may be really stupid to those who did see the final 3 minutes, but how did we screw up and let them even get the touchdown/conversion that allowed the game to be won on a field goal? Yeah, those 3 points were the final nail in the coffin, but we started off 10 points ahead, not just 2. Apparently we mucked up the series before the FG possession, am I correct?

I did not see the end of the game either until a few minutes ago when I watched the replay on ESPN+.  Two blown pass coverages (40+ yards each) gave them a very quick TD.  They fumbled the snap for the extra point conversion but the holder somehow found someone in the the endzone to pass it to.  I could go either way on the 3rd down pass or run to keep the clock running and force them to use a timeout.  We chose to pass and they had an all out blitz on the play and blew it up.  Bruno never had time to make it work or improvise something else.  The blown coverages were more of an issue than our play call on 3rd down IMHO.  Also a factor was the wind throughout the game.  It affected the kicking games big time.  I thought whoever had the wind at their back in the 4th qtr would win and that turned out to be true.  Out of curiosity here, if a coach wants the wind behind him in the 4th quarter, what does he have to do make it happen?  Who won the coin toss in this game?

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:50 pm

I did not see the end of the game either until a few minutes ago when I watched the replay on ESPN+.  Two blown pass coverages (40+ yards each) gave them a very quick TD.  They fumbled the snap for the extra point conversion but the holder somehow found someone in the the endzone to pass it to.  I could go either way on the 3rd down pass or run to keep the clock running and force them to use a timeout.  We chose to pass and they had an all out blitz on the play and blew it up.  Bruno never had time to make it work or improvise something else.  The blown coverages were more of an issue than our play call on 3rd down IMHO.  Also a factor was the wind throughout the game.  It affected the kicking games big time.  I thought whoever had the wind at their back in the 4th qtr would win and that turned out to be true.  Out of curiosity here, if a coach wants the wind behind him in the 4th quarter, what does he have to do make it happen?  Who won the coin toss in this game?

Youngstown received the second half kickoff, so I would guess they won the toss. (Anyway, it seems like the teams that win the toss defer to the second half).

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Youngstown received the second half kickoff, so I would guess they won the toss. (Anyway, it seems like the teams that win the toss defer to the second half).

If you defer til 2nd half, I assume maybe wrongly that you could at that time choose a goal to defend or take the ball.  Am I right here?
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:37 pm

If you defer til 2nd half, I assume maybe wrongly that you could at that time choose a goal to defend or take the ball.  Am I right here?

The coin toss in football is a moment at the start of the game to help determine possession. The away team decides on heads or tail; if they win, they get to decide whether to kick, receive the ball, which endzone to defend, or defer their decision

sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:44 pm

The coin toss in football is a moment at the start of the game to help determine possession. The away team decides on heads or tail; if they win, they get to decide whether to kick, receive the ball, which endzone to defend, or defer their decision

If you defer at coin toss time, then dont you have to choose from the same options (kick, receive, endzone to defend) to start 2nd half?

rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:48 pm

If you defer at coin toss time, then dont you have to choose from the same options (kick, receive, endzone to defend) to start 2nd half?

I would guess so, but I'm not familiar with it happening, so don't know for sure.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:48 pm

I would guess so, but I'm not familiar with it happening, so don't know for sure.

I was not there to know just how blustery it was, but defenses tend to wear down come fourth quarter time.  That is when I would want my offense to have the wind behind them.