10/22/22 - vs Youngstown State (Homecoming)

letsgonecks

Like any fan and especially a die hard, I was beside myself and filled with many not good emotions.  After some meditation and a few Busch Lights, I realized that this game didn't mean anything.  Sure it would have meant a lot for the boys, staff and always great winning at homecoming, but 1-6 or 0-7 means nothing.  If we were fighting for a playoff spot, I don't think I'd be able to sleep for a week and would be pissed at coach and everyone, but not the case.

This was our best game and against a team that might not be world beaters, but doing much better than WIU.  We ran the ball, we made stops, forced turnovers and converted on some 3rd downs that we typically don't.   Still a lot to correct and by no means happy about our current situation, but at least they were actually in a spot to blow a game this year.

wiu712

YSU rallies for improbable 28-27 win at Western Illinois.
From the Youngstown "Vindicator":
https://www.vindy.com/sports/local-spor ... -illinois/

The Vindicator's prediction for this game:  Youngstown State 42.  Western 10.

4EverPurple&Gold

After some sleep and more bud lights I have moved on.

Just caught up in the emotion. Last couple seasons have been painful and any sign of winning is special.

Got two chances to win coming up - Mo State and Ind. State 
sealhall74

In keeping with the alcohol-related theme going, I will just say I went with a couple of Jack&Cokes at the Straight No Chaser show in Davenport.  My wife hit the Italian Champagne a little hard at Biaggi's before the show but I dont think it had anything to do with the game outcome.

What year was it that lowly ISUb upset a highly ranked NDSU team in the FargoDome?  We got the Bison at home.  This could be our year to shock the world.  Never stop believing.  Keep pounding that rock.

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_c ... d1dbe.html

Last edited by sealhall74 on Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

One positive thing...the listed attendance of 7,217 is the most we've had at a game since 2014. The second game of that season we hosted Drake and had 9,445 in attendance.
Also, that 7,217 was nearly all WIU fans. The band (and alumni band) were really close to the YSU section, and there weren't more than 100 Penguin fans there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
4EverPurple&Gold

That's awesome Scott!! Watching on the TV the crowd looked great 
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:12 pm Big tent within the confines today.  What is going on there?

I think that was the tent for the VIP's, invited guests, game-day sponsor (MDH), etc.  It was located in the northwest corner of Hanson Field.

Last edited by wiu712 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:55 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:12 pm Big tent within the confines today.  What is going on there?

I think that was the tent for the VIP's, invited guests, game-day sponsor (MHD), etc.  It was located in the northwest corner of Hanson Field.

They also had the football come their way few times on kickoffs. One went into the tent, one bounced over the tent, and another landed at the feet of the camera person just to the side of the tent.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

So with about 2:29 remaining my wife bolted from our seat saying, "I just can't take this up here.  She ended up standing by the "No Standing by Fence sign pacing back and forth until it was over.  I just stood at my seat just beneath the press box and held on.  I have got to admit that I was shaking by the time it was over.  When you are having trouble winning you have got to do everything that you can to shorten the time left, especially if you are 10 points up.  They completed the Hail Mary against a defensive back with not alot of reps, especially during this 5 alarm fire.  The pass play at 3rd down though really confused me and I sure wish as I am sure they to that we could have had that one back.  

No matter!  It was such a great weekend.  Parade was longer than the last couple of years with some actual old fashion tissue paper floats that took some work and organization, students were at the game, alumni and parents too.  There is a flat piece of gravel now sitting between Corbin and Browne which I am sure is full of activity this morning and will be until winter stops the progress of the CPA.  Our infrastructure needs are now being taken care of and it pleased me to hear a WIU administrator to say,
" there is just a total good vibe" this weekend.  

We were an improved football team on Saturday and you can bet we will continue to improve.  We are missing at time 8-9 starters and this is going to pay off in the future.  I do like Bruno, I do like the fact that the O line is beginning to gell and our 126 yards of offense on the ground is a good re-start.  The red-shirts were on "masse" on the sidelines and almost every program was entertaining future athletes.  

I think you will see more "special tents" in the corner due to the fact that the athletic department is really getting after marketing and sponsorship chances.  It is still going to take time, but as I said before, the good ship WIU is beginning to make some headway.  

8-)
 jc

ps.  I am once again working for the Leatherneck club as a "tail twister" and "hand shaker!"  If you get a chance, take a minute and join at the level you are comfortable with.  "Lets just keep the ball rolling!"
MB1965

I had to take some time before writing this as I was too upset Saturday night and all day Sunday. The Youngtown state coaches should be sending our HC/OC Meyers Hendrickson a BIG thank you card for the bonehead decision to call a pass play on 3rd and 3 with time ticking down while holding a 2 point lead  :roll: Call a run play and Youngtown is forced to call their last time out! This game was not lost on the field of play, it was lost on the sideline in the coaches box  :oops: