11/5/22 - vs North Dakota State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VSImage

Game Date/Time: Saturday, November 5 at 1 PM
Media: ESPN+, Leatherneck Sports Network Radio
Live Stats: https://goleathernecks.com/sidearmstats ... ll/summary
Game Notes and Info: Western Illinois | North Dakota State

NDSU appears to be having something of a "down year" (by their standards). That means that they've actually lost 2 games this season, which has not been very common lately for the Bison. They started off the season with a couple of dominant home wins, 56-14 over Drake, then 43-3 over North Carolina A&T. They then (finally) were able to play an FBS game (most FBS teams have been avoiding them lately) and lost a close one to the PAC12's Arizona Wildcats (31-28). Rolling into the MVFC, they won at South Dakota (34-17), against Youngstown State (27-14), and at Indiana State (31-26) before suffering their second loss of the season in the Dakota Marker game against South Dakota State (23-21). They then followed that up with a 24-7 victory over Illinois State.

Here's the statistical comparison between the two teams. We actually have a bit more passing yards than NDSU so far this season, although they have over 3 times as many rushing yards than we do. We're still holding strong in the "fewest penalties" category, only losing 31.12 yards per game to penalties (3rd in the FCS). Otherwise, NDSU leads pretty much every category.

History

The Leathernecks and Bison have faced off 11 times going back to 2007. We've played every year from '07-'11, then '14-'19, which was our last meeting. NDSU holds a 9-2 series lead in that timeframe, with the only WIU victories being in 2008 and 2010. The last matchup with NDSU was in 2019, when WIU fell 57-21 at the Fargodome.

Rankings

Sagarin Ratings (includes all 261 DI teams): WIU is #206, NDSU is #78
Massey Composite: WIU is #101, NDSU is #6
NDSU is also #4 in both the STATS Perform Top 25 and the AnyGivenSaturday Top 28.
Massey Ratings gives us a 6% chance of winning this game, with a predicted score of 37-10 for the Bison.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Lakesbison

Hello Leathernecks.
You are still my #2 team in the MVFC/SUMMIT for knocking off SDSU in mens basketball couple years back, that was a fun night to watch that live!

NDSU is coming.,,   should bring some fans as we have 6 illinois Kids on the team.

ps- will you have the full team back this week?

sealhall74

Lakesbison wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:54 am Hello Leathernecks.
You are still my #2 team in the MVFC/SUMMIT for knocking off SDSU in mens basketball couple years back, that was a fun night to watch that live!

NDSU is coming.,,   should bring some fans as we have 6 illinois Kids on the team.

ps- will you have the full team back this week?

As for that night, it was date night (our very first one, I had to fly in for it and my wife to be had to drive through a snow storm) so yes, it was a special night and the memory of Jenkins Jr last shot going astray is forever etched in my mind. Can you believe he is still playing ball, now for Purdue as a grad transfer?

As for the other issue, I am clueless while shoeless (still in my flip flops in this nice warm weather).  Still iffy if I will be making the trip south from the Quad Cities but leaning toward it.

Embrace the pace of the race.
jtrinaldi

Wonder what the spread will be on this one. Gotta be over 60.
Lakesbison

jtrinaldi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:34 am Wonder what the spread will be on this one. Gotta be over 60.

was there 57 WIU players OUT last week?  why?

will they be back this week?

NDSU has never run up a score on anyone, its not what they do.
sealhall74

Lakesbison wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:30 am
jtrinaldi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:34 am Wonder what the spread will be on this one. Gotta be over 60.

You got the luxury of getting up big enough early in games against many teams and letting the younger guys see quite a bit of action during the season.  I want to to be sailing on that cruise ship sometime in the next 5 years.

Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

I know we've been hit with injuries, but I wasn't aware there were 57 out - leatherneck57 is the one who usually has the inside scoop on what's up.
jtrinaldi

Nah, Bobby neck Brace was trying to save his job by running up the score
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

jtrinaldi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:09 pm Nah, Bobby neck Brace was trying to save his job by running up the score

Yeah, I expect it out of him. I don't expect NDSU or SDSU to do that, generally.

SDSU beat us 34-10. They had only 3 pass attempts in the 4th quarter when they knew that their defense could pretty easily shut down our offense...everything else was running the ball.
While NDSU could leave in their starters and probably put up 3 digits against us, I see something closer to the SDSU score...or maybe the same but shifted a bit down...27-3 or something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
4EverPurple&Gold

I will be going to the Bombers game instead as I am sure a lot are. 

NDSU will have a lot of fans, they always travel great and super nice.