Interesting Off Season

L'Étranger

rocki wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:59 pm
L'Étranger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 pm Meeting scheduled at the end of break. I imagine some kids will want to see which way the wind blows and make a decision then.

I expect some coaching turnover, and some more will probably declare after that.

This break, or Christmas break?

This break.
rocki

L'Étranger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:59 pm
rocki wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:59 pm
L'Étranger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 pm Meeting scheduled at the end of break. I imagine some kids will want to see which way the wind blows and make a decision then.

I expect some coaching turnover, and some more will probably declare after that.

This break, or Christmas break?

This break.

Thanks for the information. Interested to see what's up.
Neckfansince71

I guess we better get use to this "portal" thing.  Its not going away and it seems to me that its not really what it is cracked up to be for alot of middle of the road players.  Football athletes are basically committing to one year only which does not give them a complete picture of their future playing time or success. ;)
 jc
rocki

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:14 am I guess we better get use to this "portal" thing.  Its not going away and it seems to me that its not really what it is cracked up to be for alot of middle of the road players.  Football athletes are basically committing to one year only which does not give them a complete picture of their future playing time or success. ;)
 jc

I agree, but I'm not a student athlete so I don't know what their thinking process is. Unfortunately, it's here to stay and lately seems to be very active. I would think it would be difficult to pick which "portal players" would be good prospects, or which ones are looking for something....(I don't know how to put this politely) like more playing time that they are actually not ready for.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:14 am I guess we better get use to this "portal" thing.  Its not going away and it seems to me that its not really what it is cracked up to be for alot of middle of the road players.  Football athletes are basically committing to one year only which does not give them a complete picture of their future playing time or success. ;)
 jc

Yup, it is what it is. The teams that are going to do well are the ones that can recruit the best transfer players to fill in their upper-class ranks. You have a good player as a Freshman, you'll probably get him for a year or two, but I think the days of keeping most players around for 4-5 years is gone. Of course you'll have a few players who decide to stick around, whether due to loyalty/good relationship with the coaching staff, or just because they like the school and are fully aware that they won't play at the next level. You get a kid from Quincy, Rock Island, or Springfield, and you might get them to stay due to being able to play in front of friends/family more often, but those players are going to be fewer and further between.

To be fair, I think things are a little bit more crazy now and for the next few years due to the extra COVID year of eligibility changing around the math for recruiting/scholarship numbers, but even before COVID, the transfer portal was starting to cause a lot more chaos in that area.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:36 pm

They made a good point about Brantley, the only good thing that might have come out of Brantley getting hurt, who knows if he stayed healthy he have have looked to transfer, now it sounds like he is committed to staying. 
rocki

meganeck wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:31 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:36 pm

They made a good point about Brantley, the only good thing that might have come out of Brantley getting hurt, who knows if he stayed healthy he have have looked to transfer, now it sounds like he is committed to staying. 

I guess I didn't realize he would still be eligible, let alone be able to come back from that kind of break - thought it might be career ending.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Naseim Brantley was named Newcomer of the Year for the MVFC and is a first-team all-conference WR.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2022/11 ... -year.aspx

Other awards:
Offensive Player of the Year - YSU RB Jaleel McLaughlin
Defensive Player of the Year - ILSU LB Zeke Vandenburgh
Freshman of the Year - INSU QB Cade Chambers
Coach of the Year - SDSU's John Stiegelmeier

We also had all-conference honorable mentions: DB T.J. Limehouse, LB Juan DelaCruz, and PK Mason Laramie
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
L'Étranger

letsgonecks

L'Étranger wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:59 pm

Yeah, saw Reed entered late last week, so thought he might as well.  Both could have been big pieces the next few years, but is what it is.