Football Staff Changes

meganeck

MB1965 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:28 pm So now 4 coaches have left since last season -Franna-Grant-Priefer and Savage. This is concerning that they didn't see any thing positive to stay and build on. Not sure what Franna is doing now but Grant went to wr job at SIU, Priefer a QC job and Savage a high school job. All lateral moves except for Savage who went back to his old high school as head coach. 

Franna's contract wasn't renewed so it wasn't his decision to not come back.
MB1965

Have there been any hire's to replace the coach's that left? Rumor has it that another is packing his bags soon....

MB1965 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:22 am Have there been any hire's to replace the coach's that left? Rumor has it that another is packing his bags soon....

To a conference team. 
MB1965

Yes to a school up NORTH. So we are starting spring ball real soon and are without 
1 defensive back coach
2 TE / special teams coach
3 receivers coach
4 rumored resignation position coach

Does anyone else find it odd that when our new HC came aboard none of his assistant coaches came with him and now he can't keep the coaches here at WIU?
rocki

MB1965 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:06 am Yes to a school up NORTH. So we are starting spring ball real soon and are without 
1 defensive back coach
3 receivers coach

Does anyone else find it odd that when our new HC came aboard none of his assistant coaches came with him and now he can't keep the coaches here at WIU?

I personally don't find it odd, as it seems there are many possibilities as to why things have shaken out the way they have. Not knowing the particulars of exactly why coaches left, I don't want to jump to conclusions that it is all the head coach's fault. Are they getting more $$$$$, are they closer to home, are there other ties to the places they are relocating? I don't know, and don't pretend to. We all know Western has struggled for years so it probably isn't the "dream job" for coaches. However, we have had success in the past and I see no reason we can't have success in the future - we just haven't found the right mix yet. Just my 2 cents worth.
letsgonecks

rocki wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:29 am
MB1965 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:06 am Yes to a school up NORTH. So we are starting spring ball real soon and are without 
1 defensive back coach
3 receivers coach

I personally don't find it odd, as it seems there are many possibilities as to why things have shaken out the way they have. Not knowing the particulars of exactly why coaches left, I don't want to jump to conclusions that it is all the head coach's fault. Are they getting more $$$$$, are they closer to home, are there other ties to the places they are relocating? I don't know, and don't pretend to. We all know Western has struggled for years so it probably isn't the "dream job" for coaches. However, we have had success in the past and I see no reason we can't have success in the future - we just haven't found the right mix yet. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you're a college assistant coach, you have a go bag packed like you're on the run from the FBI.  Especially at the lower levels and ones like WIU, that don't pay very well and you don't dream of sticking around and one day being the top dog.  We win coaches will leave, we lose coaches will leave and that's not uncommon.

Is it ideal to have multiple openings right before spring, no, but isn't Mark still around to coach TE's and Special Teams.  Was talk of former WIU WR Reggie Grey filling that position, so hopefully still an option.  Don't want our HC having to focus on coaching a position as well, but he could take that on.  

dogwhisper

1 defensive back coach
3 receivers coach

Agreed, thought it was strange to begin with and still seems odd, not trending in the right direction.

4EverPurple&Gold

1 defensive back coach
3 receivers coach

This is really concerning to me especially with how last season went. 

Tere North

Dad should not be an assistant. The Coach needs to stand on his own two feet. It was a disaster when Coach Crane's Dad was unofficially involved calling plays from the balcony. 
dogwhisper

8 staff changes in the last year including the most recent with Kirkwood to UND.  I get the feeling that nobody wants to work with Hendrickson from his previous staff or the staff that he just hired, the only original hire on offense that is left is the QB coach and his dad if that counts.