Recruiting, transfers, defections

meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:31 am According to Verbal Commits: https://verbalcommits.com/schools/western-illinois
these are the players who are currently listed as transferring (or at least have entered the portal)

Junior Forward Elijah Farr - transferred to us from Murray State, played in 23 games, averaged 12.3 minutes, 4 points and 1.5 rebounds
Junior Guard JJ Kalakon - transferred to us from Triton Junior College, played in 21 games, averaged 8.3 minutes, 2.3 points, and 1.3 rebounds per game
Freshman Walk-on Guard Jake Fisher - redshirted, did not play

Just to be clear, I don't have secondary verification on these, it's just what that one site is saying.

Farr doesn't seem to stay anywhere long, won't this be his 4th or 5th school now, between football and basketball.

hoops3

Ok!   Any rumors on who we’re going after?
sealhall74

He averaged about 15 PPG in last four games of the NJCAA tournament this year COMING OFF THE BENCH.  Now that is the kind of bench production you love to see, especially in pressure-packed tournament games.  John Logan won the NJCAA championship this year.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:01 am
He averaged about 15 PPG in last four games of the NJCAA tournament this year COMING OFF THE BENCH.  Now that is the kind of bench production you love to see, especially in pressure-packed tournament games.  John Logan won the NJCAA championship this year.

Just waiting to see if they off KJ Debrick he was also on that team and is also from Springfield and has gotten a few offers.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This is the kid from Springfield who won a NJCAA championship with John A. Logan.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Welcome aboard James. 

I will share a little story about kids coming off the bench to make a difference from way back yesteryear (like late 1960s).  I grew up in a small town (Alexis), we played in the Little 6 Conference at the time along with a nearby school of Aledo.  They were rival schools mostly due to very good football programs.  Aledo had a guy named Jim Smith who was a superb running back, big, powerful, seemed mature beyond his years.  He went on to play football at Monmouth College and eventually got a look at the Pro level.  Those were the HC Reichow years and my Dad and I would make the short trip quite a few times to see Monmouth play in those years.  https://www.profootballarchives.com/pla ... 21900.html
Note he probably weighed close to 220 in HS which was huge back then.

As good as he was on the gridiron, for whatever reason, he did not make the starting 5 on the hoops team.  Instead, the coach would sit him the entire first half and then bring him off the bench, usually early in the 3rd quarter or whatever moment the coach thought he needed a spark, a little extra physicality maybe, to turn the game around.  It was like a moment that the entire Aledo crowd was waiting for and Jim Smith usually delivered the goods.  It was that same scenario every time I saw us play Aledo.

Not that James is not good enough to crack the starting five, but just thought you might get a kick out of that story.

Another little tidbit about Reichow.  He worked summers for Dekalb in Monmouth overseeing the detasslers and I was one of them for a summer.  My bus crew got fired after a few days in the cornfield because he counted too many missed tassles from us.  I can still picture him with the binoculars checking us out.  LOL

Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:47 am This is the kid from Springfield who won a NJCAA championship with John A. Logan.

any know or hear who else was supposedly after him.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Joe Petrakis, 6'10" forward from Wichita, KS

'18/'19 - at Dodge City College (KS): 12 starts as a true freshman, 14.7 minutes per game, 4.8 points per game
'19/'20 - at K-State: Redshirted
'20/'21 - at K-State: 11 games played, 33 total minutes, 15 total points (highest % of that in 1 game against Oklahome State...15 minutes, 6 points)
'21/'22 - at Western Carolina: started 30 games, 22.9 minutes and 8 points per game
'22/'23 - at Illinois State: played in 22 games, 9.4 minutes per game, 1.9 points per game

Will have 1 year of eligibility left.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
hoops3

Added Ryan Myers a 6-2 guard from Indian Hills