Spring Sports

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
4EverPurple&Gold

With our recent hire of our new men's basketball coach, I think we need to start looking at our spring sports head coaching positions. 

This is just embarrassing:

Baseball: 4-26, 1-5 in confernce
Softball 8-27, 2-7 in conference
Tennis: 4-14, 0-4 in conference - didn't qualify for conference tournament 

Total: 16-67, 3-16 in conference 
wiu712

The Fall team sports were not any better:

Men's Soccer:  2-8-7.  5th place (out of 9) in the Summit League.

Women's Soccer:  4-10-3.  Last place in the Summit League.

Volleyball:  4-26.  Last place in the Summit League.

Football:  0-11.  Last place in the MVFC.

Men's Basketball at 16-14 will be the only team to finish with a winning record for this school year.

Women's Basketball finished 10-20.  9th place in the Summit League.

sealhall74

Who's in for Coed Rifle and Womens Bowling?  I think we need to shuffle things up a bit.

This stretch has not been good.  Have to look at this from a systemic level rather than a coaching Xs and Os thing.

1) My gut says we are not bringing in the caliber of athletes we have in the past.  This should be a very easy thing to determine. 
Just look at the other D1s at our level or above that also offered our signees.  

2) It is OK to bring in lower caliber athletes and turn them into superstars via a top notch strength and conditioning program, but I am not sure we are there either.

Embrace the pace of the race.
4EverPurple&Gold

wiu712 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 am The Fall team sports were not any better:

Men's Soccer:  2-8-7.  5th place (out of 9) in the Summit League.

Women's Soccer:  4-10-3.  Last place in the Summit League.

Volleyball:  4-26.  Last place in the Summit League.

Football:  0-11.  Last place in the MVFC.

Men's Basketball at 16-14 will be the only team to finish with a winning record for this school year.

Women's Basketball finished 10-20.  9th place in the Summit League.

In other words, Leatherneck athletics is: 52-156 this year 

Neckfansince71

Track and Field are definitely gaining momentum with their times/distances and the number of recruits they are getting!  Besides that, the TF/CC program is now hosting the Lee Calhoun high school event each year which this year attracted 700 student athletes and made the program a crisp $11,000 dollars.  

Every sport we sponsor could use an inflatable practice facility somewhere close to Western Hall and Q lot. A jolt of electricity could also supply Baseball, Softball, and Soccer with a little light.  We have a nice baseball facility, softball facility, and Soccer which would be enhanced if illuminated for night contests.  That would certainly get things going toward facility improvement.  I also say, spruce the "Hall" up as much as possible.   ;)
 jc
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:36 pm Who's in for Coed Rifle and Womens Bowling?  I think we need to shuffle things up a bit.

This stretch has not been good.  Have to look at this from a systemic level rather than a coaching Xs and Os thing.

1) My gut says we are not bringing in the caliber of athletes we have in the past.  This should be a very easy thing to determine. 

2) It is OK to bring in lower caliber athletes and turn them into superstars via a top notch strength and conditioning program, but I am not sure we are there either.

Bowling would be good, except they did away with the lanes in the Union.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:03 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:36 pm Who's in for Coed Rifle and Womens Bowling?  I think we need to shuffle things up a bit.

I took a bowling class there.  Living in Seal, so close to the Union, I spent a lot of time in there, especially in that game room playing pool.  Grades suffered accordingly, but it is sad that they both "vanished like a fart in the wind" (Who knows that movie?).  On the subject of movies, do they still show Thursday night movies in the Sandburg Theatre?  I fell asleep at a few of those.   Yep, different world today but I will end on a positive quote from that very same movie:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Thinking back, I think it my best friend from Seal who was taking the class and I volunteered to keep score or something like that.  No computer scoring back in those days.

Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

The space on the basement level of the Union that was formerly the Billiard & Pool Center (also called the Mississippi Room) has just re-opened.

is now called The 'Neck:
https://www.wiu.edu/student_success/uni ... heNeck.php

rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:21 am
rocki wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:03 pm

I took a bowling class there.  Living in Seal, so close to the Union, I spent a lot of time in there, especially in that game room playing pool.  Grades suffered accordingly, but it is sad that they both "vanished like a fart in the wind" (Who knows that movie?).  On the subject of movies, do they still show Thursday night movies in the Sandburg Theatre?  I fell asleep at a few of those.   Yep, different world today but I will end on a positive quote from that very same movie:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Thinking back, I think it my best friend from Seal who was taking the class and I volunteered to keep score or something like that.  No computer scoring back in those days.

Besides bowling there back in the day, I bowled in a Monday night league there for several years before they did away with the lanes. Although I realize it's not a strenuous activity, seems like it still would be better to at least get students a bit more active than gaming. Yeah, I'm old................
meganeck

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:22 am With our recent hire of our new men's basketball coach, I think we need to start looking at our spring sports head coaching positions. 

This is just embarrassing:

Baseball: 4-26, 1-5 in confernce
Softball 8-27, 2-7 in conference
Tennis: 4-14, 0-4 in conference - didn't qualify for conference tournament 

Total: 16-67, 3-16 in conference 

It will be interesting to see what they do with Baseball and softball. I know in the BOT meeting posted Bubb said he will conduct a National search for a baseball coach, I was really pulling for the baseball team because it seems like Sheriff is really up on the analytics of today's game. With their record though seems unlikely he will get the job permanently. I think it is probably time to go in a different direction with the softball program doesn't seem like Goler is the answer.