Transfer Severs

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

If one really wants to play, why would he wait for a call from some coach? The kid is in the Criminal Justice career field. Take my word for it. You knock on doors to get a job in that field, they don't come looking for you. Might try that strategy if he wants to play football.
Embrace the pace of the race.
BobLovely

sealhall74 wrote:If one really wants to play, why would he wait for a call from some coach? The kid is in the Criminal Justice career field. Take my word for it. You knock on doors to get a job in that field, they don't come looking for you. Might try that strategy if he wants to play football.
I totally agree! You go to them and express your interest...

Bob
LeatherCy

Nick just started classes at WIU this week. Fisher had been hired and part of the staff hired when he was released from Iowa State. As I stated previously NDSU called within minutes of hearing the announcement. Good think Fargo is a long ways from Macomb or he would be there now.
Lynx

LeatherCy wrote:Nick just started classes at WIU this week. Fisher had been hired and part of the staff hired when he was released from Iowa State. As I stated previously NDSU called within minutes of hearing the announcement. Good think Fargo is a long ways from Macomb or he would be there now.
What do you mean by released? Iowa State cut him, or did he ask for his release?
ibleedpurpleandgold

LeatherCy wrote:Nick just started classes at WIU this week. Fisher had been hired and part of the staff hired when he was released from Iowa State. As I stated previously NDSU called within minutes of hearing the announcement. Good think Fargo is a long ways from Macomb or he would be there now.
Maybe it just shows that he doesn't want to play anymore maybe brett talked to him and he told him he didn't want to play so he let the staff know that if a coach called me right after i left a program any interest i had in that program would be gone a like coach ash said in his forums just cause a kid went to FBS school doesn't mean he is a great players coaches @ that level make mistakes.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lynx wrote:
What do you mean by released? Iowa State cut him, or did he ask for his release?
He left Iowa State (both the team and the school) by his own choice. What I heard is that he was wanting to go to a school where he could go further with his education path. He was a Criminal Justice major at Iowa State, but apparently they don't offer a Masters in that...which is what he was wanting. Western does offer a Masters in the LEJA program (for reference, NDSU offers a Masters and Doctorate in their Criminal Justice program) and since Macomb is home, and he has friends here already...those likely helped the decision. Last I heard, he was still deciding if he wanted to continue playing football at all or not.

He's at Western now, that much we know. I'm sure that Brett has made the coaching staff aware of the situation, whether or not Nick wants to play football for us. It's possible we won't know anything for sure until spring practices start up.

I'd love to have him play for us, but if that's not the direction he wants to go with his life, you can't fault him for deciding to focus on his academics and future career path. I'm just glad we won't be having to line up across from him on the field next season (if he had gone to NDSU...for instance).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Like I said, I would bet Fisher had no idea who he is. Staff at NDSU more than likely recruited him in high school.

If I wanted to play, I would be contacting the coach, anyway. Wouldn't be expecting them to come calling to me. That's no way to go about anything.

Let's see how things shake out.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Mike Adams

Hello, I have been a long time reader of this board and have never posted. I felt the need so I created an account which proved to be difficult since the answer to the spambot question tells me our head coach is still Nielson. :oops:

First, let me say I am excited about the direction of Leatherneck Football and think the coaches I have heard so far are awesome. I have also enjoyed Brian Spotts insight and his pictures from the past. AND...I think Scott has done wonderful in starting this and maintaining it (I hope that is accurate because I give him credit for it).

Anyway, I think some of us are taking a naive approach to how college athletics should be working. I understand that in life you go get what you want - like a job or opportunities - but the exception to that rule is college recruiting (if you are an elite talent). There is a reason why NDSU contacted Mr. Severs so quickly just as there's a reason they have continued to dominate FCS football. I am sorry but better recruits are the opportunity that our staff should be going to get not the other way around (I am still floored that someone has suggested he should be contacting them as if we are so big time - because NDSU wasn't).

I agree completely that you better knock on doors in Criminal Justice to get ahead - I would also argue the same is true for a football coaching staff. I trust that our staff is out "knocking on doors" to find the best talent possible and I hope they knock on Nick's. He could be a huge get for our OL (or our DL) and he is a local kid. That would bring a connection to our new staff and the local community.

Anyway, I hope he decides he wants to play and hope we go get him - everyone wants to be pursued, especially recruits.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Mike Adams wrote:Hello, I have been a long time reader of this board and have never posted. I felt the need so I created an account which proved to be difficult since the answer to the spambot question tells me our head coach is still Nielson. :oops:
Crap, I'll go fix that now. Sorry about that.

Should be "Fisher" now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

I guess my biggest question is if the kid even wants to play.

I get that NDSU and WIU have master's programs in his major while Iowa didn't, and that is the reason he left Iowa. However, if he's graduating early and beginning work on his masters degree, there is also the possibility that all he wants to focus on is his studies.

I just think before we start jumping on the coaching staff, we need to know the particulars. I mean, if the kid is even lukewarm on playing, hounding him about it isn't going to do anyone any good.

If he wants to play, that would be awesome. If he doesn't, I wish him all the best in his studies and his career after grad.