WIU UNI Football at Modern Woodmen Park?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.

Image
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

sealhall74 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 am
Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.
Is that instead of a game at Hanson Field or instead of a game at the UNIDome?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 am
Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.
Is that instead of a game at Hanson Field or instead of a game at the UNIDome?
Yes
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

sealhall74 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 pm
ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 am
Any thoughts about having our annual football game with UNI at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport. It has hosted both high school and college football in the past although not recently after the major renovations were done. Seats about 4K for baseball probably a few more for football with some temporary bleachers that could be set up for the game. Not exactly mid-way between the schools but I do think there are a decent number of alumni (including me) for both schools in or near the Quad Cities area. Hotels not a problem, there are some nice ones close by.
Is that instead of a game at Hanson Field or instead of a game at the UNIDome?
Yes
I mean, which one? Each year we go back and forth...one game here, one game there. Which team is going to give up their home game for one in the Quad Cities? I suppose whomever does would probably have in the contract that they'd get ticket sales and concessions or something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 pm
sealhall74 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22 pm
ST_Lawson wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 pm


Is that instead of a game at Hanson Field or instead of a game at the UNIDome?
Yes
I mean, which one? Each year we go back and forth...one game here, one game there. Which team is going to give up their home game for one in the Quad Cities? I suppose whomever does would probably have in the contract that they'd get ticket sales and concessions or something.
Just split the revenue 50-50 every year. May not be a lot of revenue as it would cost to rent the facility.
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
User avatar
Western_101
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Location: Morton, IL

I think it is fine for high school football. Peoria's Midwest League(A) minor league team plays their home games at Dozer Park capacity 7,500. Peoria's Notre Dame high school has been scheduling one game per season at Dozer Park for a number of years now.

I don't like that so much of the playing surface for the football set up is comprised of the infield dirt. Football is meant to be played on grass or turf.

Another factor, playing D-I football in a 5,000 capacity (give or take) baseball field doesn't exactly add to the perception that WIU and UNI are D-I. I think if anything it would re-enforce the perception that many have that WIU plays at the D-II level.

I say leave Modern Woodman to the Minor League baseball and the occasional high school football games.

I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 6217
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Western_101 wrote:I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
I agree. There's much better options for basketball in the QC area than D1 football. I think NIU could also be a good opponent for a game at the arena in Moline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
User avatar
sealhall74
Posts: 4259
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Wherever, Windblows

ST_Lawson wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm
Western_101 wrote:I do like the Idea of playing one men's basketball game a year at Taxslayer Arena. Iowa or UNI would be the obvious preferred opponents.
I agree. There's much better options for basketball in the QC area than D1 football. I think NIU could also be a good opponent for a game at the arena in Moline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. A hoops game at the Taxslayer is much needed given the QC Campus nearby. Make it a recruiting event. Free admission for prospective students and family.
If Jimmy V was a programmer like me, he would have said it like this: while (!(succeed = try()));
Post Reply