Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps to train at Western

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 am

This has been huge for Western and the Macomb community and I'm glad that Phantom has enjoyed their time here too. Sounds like, as long as everything can be worked out with our local facilities and administrators, they would like to make this an annual thing.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712
Posts: 4264
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

Phantom Regiment plays tonight.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2018 ... ys-tonight
leatherneckcountry
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Wow I wasn’t expecting a crowd this Big
wiu712
Posts: 4264
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 pm

Great performance! BIG crowd!

There is a Freshman Orientation group on campus this weekend. They were at tonight's show.

Image

Image

Image

Image
wiu712
Posts: 4264
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Phantom Regiment Happy with Spring Training at WIU .

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/phantom-regiment-h ... aining-wiu
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:44 am

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 849
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am

Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Tere North wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am
Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
I don't really know. Could be that the company that they get them from only make brass trombones. The addition of trombones is a new thing to drum corps...like in the last few years. It wasn't allowed back when I was marching in the late '90s.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
User avatar
Tere North
Posts: 849
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 pm

ST_Lawson wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm
Tere North wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:17 am
Scott, perhaps you'd know. All of their horns are silver except for their trombones. I love that all are silver instead of a mish-mash of silver and gold, but is there a reason that the trombones are gold, not silver?
I don't really know. Could be that the company that they get them from only make brass trombones. The addition of trombones is a new thing to drum corps...like in the last few years. It wasn't allowed back when I was marching in the late '90s.
They did just use them for a single number toward the end, swapping out their baritones. From a musical standpoint, other than the slide ability, would there be a benefit to trombones over baritones/euphoniums?
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Tere North wrote:
They did just use them for a single number toward the end, swapping out their baritones. From a musical standpoint, other than the slide ability, would there be a benefit to trombones over baritones/euphoniums?
Yes, there is a difference in tone between baritones and trombones. Trombones have a bit of a "harsher" tone generally. Baritones and especially euphoniums, have a much more "open" or "smooth" tone. Usage of each depends on what the corps is going for in terms of tonal quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Post Reply