NCAA Redshirt Rule Change for this year

Tmelker
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 pm

It appears the NCAA has changed the redshirt rule for football this year, which allows a freshman to play in 4 games and still be considered a redshirt.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... RU.twitter
GV Dad
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:11 pm

This is a great rule change. No brainer for all involved. Just wish we had a few scrubs on the schedule to take full advantage of it! Indiana St at home I guess.
wiu712
Posts: 4018
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:19 am

Another NCAA change ==> Western Illinois prepared for new transfer NCAA rules.

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ncaa-rules
GV Dad
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:38 am

I like this new rule as well. And the biggest piece that I think benefits us is they will be creating a database that the Coaches will place the players name into that is wishing to transfer. That DB will be available for all other schools to view. Should make for some interesting new recruiting avenues. Especially for the FCS level coaches. As the rules for sitting a year in FBS won't be changing.
rocki
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm

So, do we have any players that are wanting to leave? I sure hope not.
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5180
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

rocki wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm
So, do we have any players that are wanting to leave? I sure hope not.
At this point, I think anyone who wanted to leave has left. We had a few guys step down due to more significant injuries, had maybe one or two transfer to smaller schools (more playing time, generally), but for the most part, everyone is sticking around I think.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm

ST_Lawson wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm
rocki wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm
So, do we have any players that are wanting to leave? I sure hope not.
At this point, I think anyone who wanted to leave has left. We had a few guys step down due to more significant injuries, had maybe one or two transfer to smaller schools (more playing time, generally), but for the most part, everyone is sticking around I think.
Who's hurt?
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5180
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 pm

rocki wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm
ST_Lawson wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm
rocki wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm
So, do we have any players that are wanting to leave? I sure hope not.
At this point, I think anyone who wanted to leave has left. We had a few guys step down due to more significant injuries, had maybe one or two transfer to smaller schools (more playing time, generally), but for the most part, everyone is sticking around I think.
Who's hurt?
R-Fr. Matt Kielbasa. From the 2018 roster updates thread: "Matt had to give up Football as advised by his doctor. Has to have career ending shoulder surgery. It’s too bad...Good player but better kid!"

I guess it was just the one, not "a few".
A couple of guys just didn't fit with the program or didn't do well enough with their grades.
TE Jackson Riley had a few issues, was suspended for violating team rules last year (4 games) and is transferring to UM-Duluth.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Does anyone know did WIU take advantage of this new rule and did any true freshman play more than 4 games and not redshirt or were all the freshman able to redshirt?
GV Dad
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:22 pm

meganeck wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:17 pm
Does anyone know did WIU take advantage of this new rule and did any true freshman play more than 4 games and not redshirt or were all the freshman able to redshirt?
I don't think any Freshman played in more than 4 games. I know Herschel Blankenship played in the first 4 on Spec teams and then didn't dress the last 7 games.
Post Reply