WIU at Northern Illinois (9/24/2016)

wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:We're in pretty sore need of updating the west side of our stadium too, something that athletics and the university is well aware of, but I don't know that we have the money right now
The university could call the current condition of the west side stands a "Life Safety Code" issue like they did when they replaced the seating at Western Hall.

Anyone who was present for the November 21st game vs South Dakota State will remember how the snow and ice made it hazardous to go up and down the stairs on the west side. There are no handrails in the aisles on the west side.

Funding, of course, would be the major hurdle to overcome.
NIU#1FBinIL

RedNeck wrote: Provided NIU can win 3 or 4 games this season a loss for the 'Necks this week on the road at an FBS won't hurt come post season selection time.
The 'Necks won't have to concern themselves with that, worst case scenario NIU is a 6-6 Bowl team this season, and that's if NIU losses every "tough" game (I don't believe that will be the case). At that point, NIU is probably looking at a very winnable bowl game against a Sun Belt team in Montgomery, AL of all places.

Of course, best case scenario is that NIU runs the table and goes 9-3 winning the MAC West division for the seventh straight year and playing in/winning the MAC Championship Game. Chances are the season will be somewhere in between. But even a 7-5 or 8-4 type of year, depending on what happens with the other teams in the West, could have NIU winning the division and representing the West in the Championship Game in Detroit.

Point is, that of course Western will try to win the game (and has a decent chance to), but a loss won't be a "bad loss" at all.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NIU#1FBinIL wrote:Point is, that of course Western will try to win the game (and has a decent chance to), but a loss won't be a "bad loss" at all.
Absolutely. In my original season predictions, I was putting us at 2-1 after this weekend (hoping for 3-0, but not really expecting it). If we can stay competitive with NIU throughout the game (win or lose) and NIU is able to do even halfway decently this season, the playoff committee won't really care.

My initial estimates were that we'd finish 7-4 with wins over EIU, NAU, INSU, MSU, USD, ILSU, and SIU. Losses to NIU, SDSU, NDSU, and UNI.
Given what I've seen so far out of our team (and some of the other teams), I think I may have to revise UNI to a toss-up game. They haven't been playing all that well, plus we get them back here at home. NIU and SDSU we might be pretty close to on a neutral field, but we have both of them at their places, so they have a bit of an advantage...still winnable if we play really well though. NDSU we have at home, but damn....after that performance against Iowa...barring some huge letdown by the Bison, I don't really see them losing. Then again, anything's possible, we very nearly beat them two years ago in their 4th championship year, with their future #2 drafted NFL QB, in a season where they only lost one game and had beaten Iowa State by 20 points.

My point is, 7-4 with wins over the teams I have listed, and staying competitive in most of the rest of the games (I do not want to see another 52 point demolishing by the Bison)...that'll get us in the playoffs, especially considering we would have won 3 out of our 4 final games in the season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

There is a big difference between TRYING to win and doing EVERYTHING YOU CAN to win in games like this. I sensed that Nielson was more of a TRYING coach (i.e. keep it simple, don't give up very much of your playbook to future conference opponents, just take the check and be happy, etc.). My gut is telling me that Charlie is more of an EVERYTHING kind of guy. We shall see on Saturday.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Superneck

Just ordered my tix through Alumni and will be at the tent on Saturday! Gotta tell you though...not a big fan of a $15 general parking cost. I pay less than that for United Center for Blackhawks games. Anyone know something I don't know about parking at NIU?
NIU#1FBinIL

Last edited by NIU#1FBinIL on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NIU#1FBinIL

Last edited by NIU#1FBinIL on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NIU#1FBinIL

Superneck wrote:Just ordered my tix through Alumni and will be at the tent on Saturday! Gotta tell you though...not a big fan of a $15 general parking cost. I pay less than that for United Center for Blackhawks games. Anyone know something I don't know about parking at NIU?
You can see where the "General Parking" areas are located relative to Huskie Stadium on the map here:

Directions & Parking Map

Also, including some links that you may find helpful:

NIU Football GameDay Guide - Sept. 24 vs. Western Illinois (UPDATE)

Huskie Stadium Fan Guide

THE YARD at Huskie Stadium: Music, Food, Football & Fun!

THE YARD at Huskie Stadium is THE place to be prior to every NIU football home game this fall. Free and open to the public, The Yard is located on the West Lawn within, well, yards of the stadium entrances and is the official pregame tailgate for ALL FANS.

Inside The Yard, enjoy free live music, purchase food from one of several popular local vendors, or stop by the beer garden. Catch football action from around the country on the giant video screen while your kids check out the inflatable games in the Kids' Zone.

THIS WEEK IN THE YARD

September 24 vs. Western Illinois

Live Entertainment: Cal Stage Band
Team of the Week: Men's Basketball
Huskie Legends: TBD
Food Vendors: Lukulos
In the Kids Zone: Live STEM demonstration. The Huskie Bounce House, Football Toss, Obstacle Course, Bubble Ball, Corn Hole
Special Item: Share your experience directly to the screen via Twitter and Instagram by using #NIUGameday! Football season ticket member gift pickup at the customer service tent. Family Weekend check-in for those who have prepurchased tickets through Family Connections.
Don't Miss: Nissan display. Purchase new Huskie apparel at the VCB tent. Pregame pep rally with the NIU Marching Band, Silverettes and Cheerleaders, Mission and Victor E. Huskie

*Schedule of Events
11:30 a.m. - The Yard Opens
12:00 Noon - Music from "Cal Stage Band"
1:00 p.m. - Pregame Pep Rally with Huskie Marching Band
1:15 p.m. - Special Guests
1:20 p.m. - More Music from "Cal Stage Band"
2:15 p.m. - The Yard Closes - Head into the Stadium!
2:30 p.m. - KICKOFF! Beat the Leathernecks

* schedule subject to change
Last edited by NIU#1FBinIL on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Western_101

"all is quite on the Western front"
wiu712

I see that NIU closes their tailgate in The Yard 15 minutes before the game:
2:15 p.m. - The Yard Closes - Head into the Stadium!

Western used to do this when tailgating was in the Pit.

Leatherneck fans in the Chicago metro area can listen to the game on Chicago radio station WIND, 560 AM.