GDT: WIU at NIU (9/24/16)

Western_101

umm, back in the day there was the BCS....Bowl Championship Series (that era is over).

Correct me if I'm wrong gang, but, I'm pretty sure FCS stands for Football Championship SUBDIVISION no Series. and FBS would be Football Bowl subdivision again,not Series.

I guess if I were to write sports for a living I might try ta want to know that stuff ;) :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

You're not wrong:
Football Bowl Subdivision
Football Championship Subdivision

That's what FBS and FCS stand for.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

I read the Tribune article and it basically was a "verse" about what is going wrong in Dekalb, not what is going right in Macomb. That's just the way it is! Rockford Tv station put a "Pretzel " twist on the game which was great for surrounding communities and for Mr. Mcshane!!! Great day for the Leathernecks! The wheels at NIU have basically come loose and I think "team" problems that surfaced at the bowl game last year have resurfaced this year besides the their injuries. The Necks are good but as Seal said, I think they were worn down by NIU which definitely showed up at the end of the game. Guess its the FBS depth at position surfacing its ugly head. The other thing is, if you are going to beat an FBS opponent on their home turf you are going to have to make things happen from the beginning to the end of the game. It might just be me, but it always seems like the yellow flag begins to appear as the pressure mounts in these games and not necessarily in the direction of the "upstart!" The sweeps and sideline passes worked well for NIU all day. I have no idea why they tried to go up the middle on the ground and on a jump pass at the end but I am glad they did. Their wide-outs were very good and their running back seemed to strong arm our DB's when he got loose in the secondary. I can definitely see that the WIU play calls in the late moments of the 4th quarter were designed to keep NIU off balance but their D-line charge really seemed to disrupt anything that they tried to do. Glad the clock ran out, even though the time keeper seemed to have a lazy finger, but then I always feel that way when my team is in the lead and hanging on......

The Leatherneck Club gathering on Friday night was good!!! I think we had more people in Champaign, more parents and such, but the team stayed in Lisle, just 6 minutes from my house in fact, but 45 minutes from Dekalb which I am sure had an impact on player parents participating, but still a good event with a great talk from Coach Fisher. We may be FCS but the spread at the Hilton for the players was FBS all the way. The team and coaching staff walked in with class.....dressed in their purple and grey travel sweats ready to eat. And "consume" is what they did. They just walk with a step I have not seen for awhile at WIU. Friendly, humble, and ready!! Sat with Coach Fisher and his wife for a few moments after the LC gathering and as the players and training personnel were finishing up. He is a just a personable and class act. We are so lucky to have him at the helm! (Why do I keep hearing Chicago's hit, "If she would have been faithful" playing in my head!!!! Thanks Coach N for getting it started....Coach Fisher will take it from here!!! ;) jc

ps. In the past I have pretty much stayed in the "alumni" tent shaking hands and meeting people. Once again I did have the chance to reconnect with LC members, my fraternity brothers, my wife's sorority sisters and former alumni council members at the tent, but for the first time we tailgated (wife, daughter and son-in-law) in the parking lot with NIU and WIU team family, fans, and friends and to tell you the truth, it was a wonderful time. I of course continued to look for Leatherneck Club members and two different people went directly on line and joined after we talked. Its not really a hard sell any longer. There are a whole lot of people once again interested in the "Purple and Gold!"
Neckfansince71

ST, saw a glimpse of you in the parking lot after the game but you were chasing a car! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NIU#1FBinIL wrote:Congrats on the win.

Chicago Tribune: NIU comeback falls short twice in final minutes of 28-23 loss

Good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks NIU#1, we appreciate you coming by and lending your insight on NIU. As I mentioned earlier, outside of when we play you, I'm an NIU fan. I've got a ton of friends who went to Northern...most of them in the Marching band...and I want to see you guys do well. I hope you're able to get things turned around and get back to the top 25 in the near future.
wiu712

Story of the game as shown on Rockford television station WREX. It features an interview with Steve McShane who is from Freeport. Freeport is 28 miles west of Rockford.
http://www.wrex.com/story/33184204/2016 ... -in-dekalb
W1U

ST_Lawson wrote:"The Huskies are quite literally on a higher level than their Football Championship Series opponent, after all, and it's likely none of the Leathernecks' home-state players would have chosen Western if Northern had come calling."

What the ****!
Wow. I guess I missed the part where the MAC was the Big Ten.

There are several teams in the Valley that would compete in the MAC and one team that could win it.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:ST, saw a glimpse of you in the parking lot after the game but you were chasing a car! ;) jc
Ha...yea, I'd hopped in our van, and then saw someone I know pretty well (Lin, from Engraving by Lin). So, ran over to give her a hug and say hi. Some of you may know Jim and Suzy Miner (longtime fans/supporters of Western). Lin said she was texting them updates all through the game (they're out in Colorado right now).
wiu712

Steve McShane, WIU get under Huskies' skin, then knock 'em out cold.

From today's Rockford Register-Star:
http://www.rrstar.com/sports/20160924/s ... m-out-cold

There is a short 23-second video on that page showing the post-game celebration.
yokedneck

Does anyone have a game program from yesterday they'd be willing to part with?

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]