WIU at South Dakota State (10/1/2016)

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:Obviously need to work on conditioning. ;)
The coaches apparently need to spend some time on the treadmill next offseason :lol:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
yokedneck

Did anyone endure the broadcast long enough to getthe explanation on the incomplete pass we challenged in the first half as a catch and fumble? Seemed very close based on in stadium replay.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
Western_101

yokedneck wrote:Did anyone endure the broadcast long enough to getthe explanation on the incomplete pass we challenged in the first half as a catch and fumble? Seemed very close based on in stadium replay.

Tom
I don't recall that there was an explanation given. However, there was a few different angles of the play and one in particular looked clear enough to me. Receiver catches ball, secures ball and turned up field then BAMMMM (think Emiral) he gets blasted by the defender, ball pops out trickles away and is recovered by the Defense.

Was it caught? Yes
Was it secured? Yes
Did Receiver have possession? Yes
Was it fast? Yes, the whole sequence was between 1-1.5 seconds. an eternity for 100 yard dash sprinters.

I guess I have two thoughts on the officials call. First, if the plays are happening too fast for them to make accurate calls maybe the crew would be less out of their league officiating High School games. D-I moves fast, real fast.

Second, It was my opinion that the slow motion replay revealed that it was a catch. Sometimes officials just don't like to be overruled and say they got it wrong. Reversing the call would be highly unpopular in front of the Large home crowd.

Just reporting what my two eyes saw.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If you have access to ESPN3, they usually have replays available for at least a week after the game. I've used that before to go back and look at plays that might have looked questionable but couldn't tell or didn't see for sure when I was watching initially. I've also done that at games that I've gone to in the last couple of years. If I see a play that really looked questionable, or something else I want to make sure to check out a few times in slow motion or from another angle, I'll make note of when in the game that happened and then when I get home and have time, bring up the ESPN3 replay, click forward until I get close to that point in the game and then take a couple of looks.

If it makes it easier than going and hunting for it, here's the link that should take you straight to the replay of last Saturday's game: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2890625/
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:If you have access to ESPN3, they usually have replays available for at least a week after the game. I've used that before to go back and look at plays that might have looked questionable but couldn't tell or didn't see for sure when I was watching initially. I've also done that at games that I've gone to in the last couple of years. If I see a play that really looked questionable, or something else I want to make sure to check out a few times in slow motion or from another angle, I'll make note of when in the game that happened and then when I get home and have time, bring up the ESPN3 replay, click forward until I get close to that point in the game and then take a couple of looks.

If it makes it easier than going and hunting for it, here's the link that should take you straight to the replay of last Saturday's game: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2890625/
The play is near the 20:45 mark.
Embrace the pace of the race.