WIU at South Dakota (10/29/2016)

Leatherneck57

Before anyone says anything about a QB change or anything else.

Our defense played lights out again in the 2nd half for the second week in a row! Even though we gave up some big plays in the first half and down the stretch we forced a fumble and Sean led us on an 80 yard drive to win the game. If leading this team to 21 second half points isn't leadership you guys are blind! Sorry...but its the truth! I wouldn't want anybody else leading this team and just think...we have him 2 more years! SD is a good football team but we shot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties and allowed SD to continue drives.

I was just as upset as everyone else in the first half but this team does not quit! They didn't quit last week against the best program in the country and could have easily won that game...lord knows we left 13 points on the field! This team doesn't know how to quit and Coach Fisher won't let them! I will enjoy this victory and say this...I'm proud to be a Leatherneck and proud of these kids! All of them!!! We are sitting 6-2 and 3-2 in the best conference in FCS!

BTW...I saw the former staff lose numerous times just like this when they were at Western! Hmmmm...who would I rather have leading our program?

LN57
JoeWx21

First, let's give mad props to Josh Smith (23) and Jalen Acklen (17) for that win. I will say the 2nd half was much better than the 1st (minus that huge pass play). Only holding them to just 3 points. Sean played better especially with stepping up in the pocket.

I don't know why they can't play like that the whole game (like they were at the beginning of the year).

Let's hope this momentum continues next week when ISU comes into town especially since they just upset SDSU.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote:
letsgonecks wrote:Come on boys, let's "Fisher" coach Fisher. Put him in a tight spot down the stretch to fold.
You mean Nielson?
Ha. That's what I get for drinking during the games. Very much needed though.

Love these guys and they drive me crazy. Like a having kids!!!!
rocki

JoeWx21 wrote:First, let's give mad props to Josh Smith (23) and Jalen Acklen (17) for that win. I will say the 2nd half was much better than the 1st (minus that huge pass play). Only holding them to just 3 points. Sean played better especially with stepping up in the pocket.

I don't know why they can't play like that the whole game (like they were at the beginning of the year).

Let's hope this momentum continues next week when ISU comes into town especially since they just upset SDSU.

I'm watching the replay - got called away from the game in real time. I did end up somewhere that I was able to hear the end on the radio, so I know the end result. Don't want to comment on actual plays/players until I eyeball the video.

Second, "play like that the whole game (like they were at the beginning of the year).....I don't quite remember that. I remember being down and coming back, or being up and crumbling in the 3rd and/or 4th quarters and fortunate to pull out the wins. I don't think we've put a full game together yet. It will happen - don't know when, but it will.

Happy they pulled it out - when I was called away it was really lopsided in favor of USD - obviously our second half must have been really good to get the W/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote:Ha. That's what I get for drinking during the games.
Maybe I need to start...might make the games easier to handle.

Also, how many pass interference calls did they not call on them....4?...5?...more?
They were getting all kinds of calls and we still came away with the win.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

If there were 8100 people at that game I'll kiss your @$$! There was no one on the other side! Looks like their student support is just like Western's!!!

If it weren't for the Purple
Platoon our student support wouldn't exist! It makes no sense to me that our student body wouldn't want to support this team?!?! It's sad...really sad!

LN57
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck57 wrote:If there were 8100 people at that game I'll kiss your @$$! There was no one on the other side! Looks like their student support is just like Western's!!!

Platoon our student support wouldn't exist! It makes no sense to me that our student body wouldn't want to support this team?!?! It's sad...really sad!

LN57
Yea, I don't get it either. You've got a football team that's playing some pretty great football, we've had some beautiful weather for games, and if you're a student, you get in free. They need to get their butts to the stadium for the last couple of home games this season.

I've been there for 1-win seasons, and seasons where it rained every single home game, and paid my $ to get in nearly every time (I don't have to pay for homecoming...alumni band gets in for free with the band).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
1721Higgins

Can someone please explain to me why the offensive gets so conservative in the 2nd half? It's been the same all season they can move the ball up and down the field the entire 1st half and then when they come out from halftime the offense gets predictable and doesn't really take the shots it did in the first half. A team can't rely on the defense to make a stand like they have the last few games especially with how beat up the defense is.

Interesting question over on the Yotes Board. I believe the answer wears a long sleeve button down shirt with a red tie. Used to be a purple tie.
rocki

1721Higgins wrote:Can someone please explain to me why the offensive gets so conservative in the 2nd half? It's been the same all season they can move the ball up and down the field the entire 1st half and then when they come out from halftime the offense gets predictable and doesn't really take the shots it did in the first half. A team can't rely on the defense to make a stand like they have the last few games especially with how beat up the defense is.

Interesting question over on the Yotes Board. I believe the answer wears a long sleeve button down shirt with a red tie. Used to be a purple tie.
Hahahahahaha!!!!!! :lol:
rocki

Leatherneck57 wrote:If there were 8100 people at that game I'll kiss your @$$! There was no one on the other side! Looks like their student support is just like Western's!!!

LN57

True. I guess I'm an anachronism - I still feel like it should be back in my day.....rickety wooden bleachers on the east side, but we were all packed in shoulder to shoulder. The games were THE place to be on Saturdays. And yes, we liked to drink back in the day, as well (original Peach Blossoms, anyone?).

At the NDSU game the cheerleaders were throwing out mini-footballs and Tshirts. What do they have to do, throw out tablets and iPhones to get a student crowd there? :roll: