9/13 WIU Vs Drake

wiu712

Besides the Macomb High School band being at the game, the six teams of the Western Illinois Junior Football League were also a part of the half-time show. These are 5th and 6th graders who play their games on Sunday afternoons at Hanson Field.

The six teams are:
Macomb
Bushnell-West Prairie
Abingdon-Avon
Monmouth-Roseville
Rushville-Industry
Biggsville West Central
wiu712

Photo of the scoreboard with the sun shining on it:
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=549E182C
WIU0812

PA system was terrible on west to but I fully expect new one coming in next couple years. Was there any announcements at half time? I am assuming nothing since no one has mentioned.
sealhall74

Now wide awake, got that late night UNI-Hawaii game posted in my Pick'em game, with cup of tea in hand, leisurely searching for a nice independent professionally written review of yesterday's game online somewhere, and I can't find jacksh*t. Even the illustrious Des Moines Register has nary a word about the game (maybe they are still celebrating the Cyclone victory). Holy crap! Not even a score mention inside the the Iowa College Roundup amongst the St. Scholastica and Buena Vista scores. Nothing in Hawk-eye or Journal Star either. I think the McDonough Voice takes the weekend off so was not expecting much there. Times certainly have changed. Gone are the days when a reporter or photographer would rush back to the office from a game to get his/her stuff done in time to make the morning press. Now that I think about it a little harder, this is circa 2014 and I would think they would be able to click away on their laptop inside the press box during and after the game and have at least a line or two ready to go in short notice. Oh well, I guess I will hit the gym early today. Got to do some prep work for the "Old Stompin' Ground Run Around" coming up in three weeks.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:PA system was terrible on west to but I fully expect new one coming in next couple years. Was there any announcements at half time? I am assuming nothing since no one has mentioned.
That's strange. It was coming through loud and clear on the WRMS-FM broadcast stream. That is how I knew Macomb HS band was there. LOL
WIU0812

Ya not sure sounded like a speaker issue but not sure
wiu712

Story of the game as seen on WGEM Sports with Western Alum Dylan Austin:
http://www.wgem.com/story/26526785/2014 ... ptember-13
wiu712

The Peoria Journal-Star did have a small Associated Press article about the game:

Western Illinois dominates Drake

Trenton Norvell accounted for two touchdowns to lead Western Illinois to a 38-13 victory over Drake Saturday.

Norvell completed his first five pass attempts, then rushed for a 7-yard touchdown on Western Illinois’ opening drive. He threw a 71-yard touchdown pass to Quadarias Mireles in the fourth quarter to cap the scoring for the Leathernecks.

Norvell was 15 of 22 for 205 yards and J.C. Baker ran for 130 yards on 20 carries to lead Western Illinois (2-1).

Cody Thibault came off the bench and threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Michael Hudson and Ben Tesson kicked a 43-yard field goal to pull Drake (1-2) within 14-10 at the half.

David McDaniel blocked a Cam Bohnert punt and Brad Blumenshine returned it 27 yards for a touchdown to give Western Illinois a 28-10 lead in the third quarter.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:The Peoria Journal-Star did have a small Associated Press article about the game:

Western Illinois dominates Drake

Trenton Norvell accounted for two touchdowns to lead Western Illinois to a 38-13 victory over Drake Saturday.

Norvell completed his first five pass attempts, then rushed for a 7-yard touchdown on Western Illinois’ opening drive. He threw a 71-yard touchdown pass to Quadarias Mireles in the fourth quarter to cap the scoring for the Leathernecks.

Norvell was 15 of 22 for 205 yards and J.C. Baker ran for 130 yards on 20 carries to lead Western Illinois (2-1).

Cody Thibault came off the bench and threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to Michael Hudson and Ben Tesson kicked a 43-yard field goal to pull Drake (1-2) within 14-10 at the half.

David McDaniel blocked a Cam Bohnert punt and Brad Blumenshine returned it 27 yards for a touchdown to give Western Illinois a 28-10 lead in the third quarter.
Maybe I am getting blind, but I could not find it browsing through the PJS online sports section. I did finally find the above snippit by searching for "Western Illinois" from the front page (be careful what you search for and how you search for it). 712, you talked about desiring a little extra "mention" in another thread. With our name hidden under the global search box, that mention will never happen although Scots, Eureka, Knox, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois did get some "area" mention for readers the easy way.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Maybe I am getting blind, but I could not find it browsing through the PJS online sports section. I did finally find the above snippit by searching for "Western Illinois" from the front page.
Here's an easier way: Go to pjs.com/sports. All of the sports articles are listed there.

For example: http://www.pjstar.com/sports?sect=more