Nikko Watson

letsgonecks

Think this topic is on a few different threads, so thought we'd just start a new one.

Since he's no longer on the schools directory, we'll assume he's been dismissed from the university. I'm sure there's an appeal process that he's currently taking part in or possibly accepted the dismissal. Like Golson at Notre Dame he can always re-apply to the university and possibly get back in next semester or next year.

With that being said, he'll still have 1 year of playing time left and 1 year left on the NCAA 5 year clock since he didn't redshirt. In his recent tweet he said, "Looking on the bright side I get my freshmen year back. Theres only one Leatherneck"

https://twitter.com/believe_41

Not handy enough to post the actual tweet.
WIU0812

So it sounds like his arrest which I believe was for Domestic Battery which I am not up on the laws that much, but sounds like it involved a fight? I guess best case scenario would be that he sits out this entire year and continues to train on his own time and without the team and does all the mental prep he can and then if NCAA allows and school is OK with his return he comes back next year to finish out his last season? I guess it is good that he did not get to play in a game this year and then find out school was removing him. Still we will miss him this year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here you go, Letsgonecks:

[tweet]509798611857965056[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I think the link did not work.
SunDevilLawyer

Assuming this stems from a domestic battery issue. Which doubt it does if it has affected acadmeics as well (while i do not know the scope of the school's policies in matters such as this, I have rarely heard of a student being expelled for a reason such as this). I feel like we should be wanting the facts of a DOMESTIC battery situation before anxiously awaiting his return.

In the event that it IS stemming from this situation, if it is bad enough for the school to say you may no longer attend our institution, then why would you want him on the team?

All this assumes that he was expelled and did not drop out as a result of losing a scholarship or some other superfluous details.
Tere North

The school policy would not expel him for an event unrelated to school, but the coach could certainly kick him off the team. Then, if he didn't want to be where he couldn't play, that would add up to leaving. Doubt we'll ever know the whole story, but I imagine this was a football decision.
WIU0812

So I just happened to be searching twitter and saw Nikko Watson tweeted nothing but "ISU"
rocki

Weird. Guess time will tell. Hard to imagine much until the court case is handled.
Western_101

if someone's school was being paid for by athletic scholarship and something happened that resulted in said player being kicked off the team would that mean no more scholarship?

That certainly would have a profound impact if all of a sudden one is found in a position to have to personally "foot the bill".

Seems like folks in the know are being tight lipped 'bout what caused Nikko's Dismissal.
meganeck

Per Daniel Makarewicz of Rock Island Argus, Watson is at Spoon River and was suspended for the semester. Not sure how this works, but using his redshirt this year and hopes to come back next year and be a 5th yr Senior