10/4 #1 NDSU at WIU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Whoever is running the music needs to be queued into what's going on with the game much better.
We were very lucky that we were not penalized because of that loud music from the north endzone speakers. There were multiple times when that music was still blaring when the North Dakota State offense was snapping the ball.
This is true. The band got in trouble one time for doing that, back when I was still in band. We got warned by the refs and apparently the director at the time (probably Shueller) got a pretty serious talking to by the athletics department for it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:Whoever is running the music needs to be queued into what's going on with the game much better.
We were very lucky that we were not penalized because of that loud music from the north endzone speakers. There were multiple times when that music was still blaring when the North Dakota State offense was snapping the ball.
This is true. The band got in trouble one time for doing that, back when I was still in band. We got warned by the refs and apparently the director at the time (probably Shueller) got a pretty serious talking to by the athletics department for it.
Does not the band director have a headset like coach wears so he is in constant communication with someone in the press box? I see it done that way at other places (e.g. ESPN Old Spice for basketball).
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Does not the band director have a headset like coach wears so he is in constant communication with someone in the press box? I see it done that way at other places (e.g. ESPN Old Spice for basketball).
Nope, not in the least. The "communication" between the band and the announcers, music, etc. is pretty much nonexistant as far as I know. At basketball games there's a rundown of the schedule timeouts and what happens during each (special "event", announcement, band plays, etc.) but as far as I know, they don't have that for football. The way that I've always observed it in football is the drum majors have to essentially look over their shoulders for what's going on on the field and try to fit in music whenever they can. They do the best job that they can given the circumstances, but there's usually nobody telling them when to have the band play and for how long.
EllyK

ML Drum Major here - As far as communication goes, there is little to none between Dr. Thomas and the press box. If anything, he knows when there are going to be certain activities or announcements during quarter breaks, and then we take it from there. There are people in Athletics that he has connections to - this is where I think he gets a majority of his information.

As far as stadium music is concerned, I wish they wouldn't play it at all. During player warm-ups sure, but after kick-off it's our game, it's what we are here for and we pay the University to do it (Marching Band is a class). It was especially difficult during this game since the microphone/speaker system we use to communicate with the band went down for a majority of the game, which meant limited playing time as it was so difficult to communicate with the band which tunes to play.

The east side speakers are also terrible. It's very hard to hear PA announcements and especially the Refs when there is a penalty.
Western Illinois University '15
Villanova University '18

Marching Leatherneck 2011-2014
wiu712

EllyK wrote:As far as stadium music is concerned, I wish they wouldn't play it at all.
I agree! It's not needed when we have the band playing.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
EllyK wrote:As far as stadium music is concerned, I wish they wouldn't play it at all.
I agree! It's not needed when we have the band playing.
Yup, play it up until the game starts, during the couple of minutes before halftime when the band is making their way down to the field, and during the couple of minutes after halftime until the band is back in their regular place in the stands. Otherwise...shut it off and let the band play.
Lakesbison

man its Monday, and I can finally muster up the strength to come on here and congratulate you guys. WR Zach Vraa getting hurt allowed WIU to put 8-9 in the box and ndsu coaches were too dam stubborn to abandon the run. Along with a stout leatherneck defense led to a 17-10 win that we wont soon be bragging about up here in BisoNation!

you guys are on the right path!
WIU0812

Unfortunately for the band this seems to be how most college football games have been going with a mixture of band use and different songs played through speakers. Also, surprised there is no headset to help with communication when each should play, even a 30 dollar set of two way radios at walmart would work. I think we will see some major changes with the new stands because these will obviously include upgrades to the sound system and to the whole broadcasting division which should hopefully in turn allow for better coordination.
wiu712

The use of the recorded music seemed to quiet the crowd instead of revving it up.

On third downs by the NDSU offense, the crowd on the west side would start to make noise and get loud. Then the recorded music would come on from the north endzone speakers, and everybody would stop yelling.

My opinion: Stick with the band and the crowd to make noise for the game. The recorded music seemed to be more of a distraction.
WIU0812

wiu712 wrote:The use of the recorded music seemed to quiet the crowd instead of revving it up.

On third downs by the NDSU offense, the crowd on the west side would start to make noise and get loud. Then the recorded music would come on from the north endzone speakers, and everybody would stop yelling.

My opinion: Stick with the band and the crowd to make noise for the game. The recorded music seemed to be more of a distraction.

Sounds like they need to choose some new music that ppl will sing like "we will we will rock you" or something like that or band can play I suppose. Like said before I think this year is experiment more than anything since it is first real test of the everything. It will get better and kinks will get worked out things will be different especially once they are able to actually see the game.