PLAY OFF!? PA,PLAY OFF?!!? CAN WE??

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't know much about who's specifically at fault, but I'm not holding out hope for the playoffs this year.

Generally in 11 game seasons, the playoff committee has felt comfortable taking 7-4 teams from good conferences, especially if they've finished the season strong (those 7 wins do have to be against Div. I schools...Div. II and III don't count towards that). However, in a 12 game season, like last year and this year, they are VERY reluctant to take anyone at 7-5, even from a power conference. Last year they didn't even take an 8-4 Youngstown State (5-3 in conference) although much of that could be because they lost their last 3 games.

If we somehow win out, then our record would be 7-5 overall, 5-3 in the conference. Things we have going for us: the conference overall is VERY strong this year (some say the best overall that an FCS conference has ever been); if we win out, we'd have won the last 4 games in a row and against the GPI's #14, #42, #7, and #10 ranked teams; our conference losses would have been close games against the unanimous #1 undefeated Bison, a close game against the GPI's #2 ranked undefeated Redbirds, and the loss to GPI's #12th ranked SIU.

What we have going against us...5 losses. I honestly don't know if the committee has ever taken a 5-loss team that didn't win their conference's auto-bid.
Only team close to that was 2013 New Hampshire...only played 11 games in what was a 12-game season for most, finished 7-4 overall and were at-large out of the CAA.

I've seen people say that the MVFC deserves 6-7 teams in the playoffs this year, and likely we do, but the committee has not been favorable towards the conference in the past, and depending on how the remaining games go, I don't know if we'll get more than 3-4 total. If that's the case, I don't see us getting in...not this year.

Still, technically there is a chance, but we gotta win out...starting with tomorrow. One game at a time.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Bandneckproud

WIU0812 wrote:
Bandneckproud wrote:I hope we do win out the season but if the secondary is leading in tackles we are in big trouble. We are not getting the job done up front!!!!!!
Secondary should lead in tackles, LB specifically should have the most as they are the ones guarding both run and pass and are the ones getting to the ball.... We have held most teams to their fewest rushing yards of the season in our games which means our D line has been great. If anything its the secondary in their pass defense that has been awful and has been the worst part of D.

Really!!! one of the main reason we are good in run defense is that we keep everybody and their momma in the box giving the secondary extra duty. Most of the pass plays we give up is over the middle playing a zones LB's become part on the secondary with their drop. I have notice the LB,s sometime get to there's drop late or not deep enough which create holes in the zones. Personally I would like to see more of a man to man coverage.
WIU0812

I am pretty sure there is no chance at all actually as they will not be selecting more than 4 teams out of our league and most likely based on past years they will only select 3 even if more deserve it. Basically it comes down to what is going to cause less issues for the selection committee and if they select a 7-5 teams over say a 9-3 team from a lesser league it will stir a large amount of arguments. From what I can see if we had won last week we were still in it with a slim chance, but I think winning out we will be that bubble team that gets disappointed, though I will still hope that the committee decides to just bring in all those deserving of it based on schedule of play.
WIU43

BobLovely wrote:
WIU43 wrote:Playoffs!!!!!!!! Not with this coaching staff, they suck especially the LB's coach.
Please enlighten us with your insights?

Bob
I think this coaching staff don't have the experience or knowledge to compete on the D1 level. If you went to the games you wouldn't have to ask me my insights. Sir!