#17 Y'town- 12,096
#18 Mo State-11,665
#21 SDSU-10,936

WIU 6 games- 4,525
SIU 6 games- 9,155
EIU 5 games- 6,495
Illness State- 8 games- 9,685
leatherface

Additionally, as a point of reference, WESTERN'S average wouldn't place in the top 30 of D2 average.
The new Ad will have their hands full addressing attendance. Obviously, winning is a key, however, other ideas need to be looked at to increase interest and attendance.
JoeWx21

I know everyone will have ideas on how to improve attendance at the games, but to me there are 3 areas that needs to be addressed to really make Hanson Field or Western Hall fun to go to.

1. The Video Board. It finally arrived in 2014, but it did not enhanced the game experience. I know it was the 1st year but it felt like all I was seeing were replays, announcements, and ads. Nothing to get the crowd excited and involved. Whoever is in charge of it needs to find ways to get the crowd into the game. Involve the PA, play some pump up music, anything within the rules to get the players amped up.

2. The Band. What was once a proud symbol of WIU football games now seems to be small and annoying. Every year it's the same songs they play in the stands, and some of the song does not tie into what happens on the field. If they can play new songs every halftime show how hard is it to play new songs in the stands? Continue the traditions of the pregame, especially playing the Marine Corp hymn to honor Lt Col. Hanson, but be more involved with the game instead going through the motions of playing songs.

3. The Students. We all know that winning teams bring crowds to the game, but still it is the presence of the student body that makes it fun. Our biggest crowds last season were the NDSU and ISUr games. With those teams making into the title game last year expect much bigger attendances at those two programs. Unfortunately, the rest of the season the students were more inclined to get alcohol poisoning in q lot instead of going to the game. I challenge the AD office to find ways to bring the students to the game. I also challenge the athletes to be more involved with the student body to go to the games. Why not start new traditions at WIU instead of continues ones at the big colleges they didn't get in to.

If these 3 areas can be fixed the game experience at the football and basketball games would be more fun.
sealhall74

Went up to Philly this week to see some baseball. Not a Philly fan or a Pirate fan so the games were just so-so for me. What got me fired up was the Philly Phanatic mascot - always pulling off some crazy antics on the field or on top of the dugouts. His hot dog gun was unreal:

The Philly cheesesteak from Tony Lukes was also worth the price of admission.

Highlight for me though was watching the "CraaaackerJaaaaack" girl in action. Our very own Peach Blossoms could learn a thing or two from her. Her only flaw was she did not lace up those Corcoran jump boots but I overlooked it.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-10-04/s ... park-boots

It does take a great deal of work from many people to pull off an entertaining event. For me, conventional is nearly always boring. I love the "outside-of-the-box" way of doing things - give people something to talk about around the water cooler.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu51

I know tommy had one idea on how to gets kids into the games, and I hope the athletic department follows through with it. If they do you will see attendance go up.
rocki

And that would be..............?????
Mizzou Rah

The team itself has made great strides in the past couple of seasons. I see a much improved team this year as well although with the brutal schedule it may not be reflected in the record.

But agree with Joe:

1. The video board is a joke, commercials and promoting material needs to be reduced and more plays shown. The size needs to be twice as large.

2. The band, the same halftime show each game gets really old.

3. The students, non existent. I think that this is mostly the result of poor performance on the field but as I have harped on time and again, the home side of Hanson Field is hard to look at and needs to be spruced up with some simple remedies since it appears that after 4 years of the same old stuff it won't be improved again this year. Same cruddy bleachers, same faded paint, same dirty aisles. Lack of pride is sad.