Future Football Schedules

WIU2DC
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm

GV Dad wrote:I'm not a big fan of our scheduling at all. I like playing one FBS per year, but our other Non Cons should all be winnable FCS games. Whoever thought Montana, Montana St and Eastern Washington were good ideas shouldn't be allowed to schedule anymore! LOL

The Valley is tough enough to give us the SOS we need. You schedule the FBS games for recruiting. But we need those 2 Automatic wins in the Non Con.

So I am going to disagree with this and next year I don’t see a game we can’t or shouldn’t win in OOC. But, using last year as an example we played two decent BIGSKY teams and a BIGTEN team. I personally like the challenge and watching us play teams that are better than a NEC. Until we get our program to the level of NDSU we shouldn’t go the route of making our OOC schedule 1 FBS and 2 NEC or patriot league teams. It shows WIU can play with the other good FCS conferences and helps (I think?) with recruiting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRS Neck
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 am

WIU2DC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm
GV Dad wrote:I'm not a big fan of our scheduling at all. I like playing one FBS per year, but our other Non Cons should all be winnable FCS games. Whoever thought Montana, Montana St and Eastern Washington were good ideas shouldn't be allowed to schedule anymore! LOL

The Valley is tough enough to give us the SOS we need. You schedule the FBS games for recruiting. But we need those 2 Automatic wins in the Non Con.


So I am going to disagree with this and next year I don’t see a game we can’t or shouldn’t win in OOC. But, using last year as an example we played two decent BIGSKY teams and a BIGTEN team. I personally like the challenge and watching us play teams that are better than a NEC. Until we get our program to the level of NDSU we shouldn’t go the route of making our OOC schedule 1 FBS and 2 NEC or patriot league teams. It shows WIU can play with the other good FCS conferences and helps (I think?) with recruiting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The FBS team definitely does. Eastern Washington or Montana St, does nothing for recruiting. If anything, it takes away from it, as families will not care for the travel to those remote areas. It may excite some of the true fans of the FCS, to see how we match up outside of league play. But it really did nothing for attendance last year vs Montana, so not sure if the benefit there. We already play the best in the FCS in our own conference. If we went 2-1 in the non con last year instead of 1-2 we would have made the playoffs. That’s what the recruits want to see.

Are you getting back for a game next season DC? Would love to have you visit our tailgate!
CRS Neck
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 am

WIU2DC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm
GV Dad wrote:I'm not a big fan of our scheduling at all. I like playing one FBS per year, but our other Non Cons should all be winnable FCS games. Whoever thought Montana, Montana St and Eastern Washington were good ideas shouldn't be allowed to schedule anymore! LOL

The Valley is tough enough to give us the SOS we need. You schedule the FBS games for recruiting. But we need those 2 Automatic wins in the Non Con.

So I am going to disagree with this and next year I don’t see a game we can’t or shouldn’t win in OOC. But, using last year as an example we played two decent BIGSKY teams and a BIGTEN team. I personally like the challenge and watching us play teams that are better than a NEC. Until we get our program to the level of NDSU we shouldn’t go the route of making our OOC schedule 1 FBS and 2 NEC or patriot league teams. It shows WIU can play with the other good FCS conferences and helps (I think?) with recruiting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, I agree with you about our Non Con next season. I love our chances to go 3-1!
WIU2DC
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 am

CRS Neck wrote:
WIU2DC wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm
GV Dad wrote:I'm not a big fan of our scheduling at all. I like playing one FBS per year, but our other Non Cons should all be winnable FCS games. Whoever thought Montana, Montana St and Eastern Washington were good ideas shouldn't be allowed to schedule anymore! LOL

The Valley is tough enough to give us the SOS we need. You schedule the FBS games for recruiting. But we need those 2 Automatic wins in the Non Con.

So I am going to disagree with this and next year I don’t see a game we can’t or shouldn’t win in OOC. But, using last year as an example we played two decent BIGSKY teams and a BIGTEN team. I personally like the challenge and watching us play teams that are better than a NEC. Until we get our program to the level of NDSU we shouldn’t go the route of making our OOC schedule 1 FBS and 2 NEC or patriot league teams. It shows WIU can play with the other good FCS conferences and helps (I think?) with recruiting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, I agree with you about our Non Con next season. I love our chances to go 3-1!

I think 4-0 is a chance as Colorado State isn’t that good of a team but I would also be very happy with a 3-1 i OOC play too. If any of you guys are thinking about going to the CSU game this year, you should go. Their stadium is wonderful and it’s one of the better stadiums I’ve ever been in. (I was there last year when Illinois State beat them and I think I’ll be going to the NAU game this year) go necks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am

Minnesota just announced they added WIU to their 2022 schedule
wiu712
Posts: 4424
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Minnesota rounds out 2022 football schedule with Western Illinois.
https://kfgo.com/news/articles/2019/apr ... -illinois/
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5345
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:07 pm

meganeck wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
Minnesota just announced they added WIU to their 2022 schedule
Interesting. We already have South Alabama (Sun Belt) on the schedule for that year. I wonder if we're going with 2 FBS games that year, or if something has changed with the game at USA.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:20 pm

ST_Lawson wrote:
meganeck wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
Minnesota just announced they added WIU to their 2022 schedule
Interesting. We already have South Alabama (Sun Belt) on the schedule for that year. I wonder if we're going with 2 FBS games that year, or if something has changed with the game at USA.
That’s a good question or maybe the athletic department is getting ahead of the money woes? Two FBS games may fund the whole season of a decent amount of it. Plus, I like having one FBS Team we may be the favorites against or close to (USA) and then one where it’s about the money.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 pm

ST_Lawson wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:07 pm
meganeck wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
Minnesota just announced they added WIU to their 2022 schedule
Interesting. We already have South Alabama (Sun Belt) on the schedule for that year. I wonder if we're going with 2 FBS games that year, or if something has changed with the game at USA.
A few years ago we played Wisconsin and Northwestern in the same season
User avatar
ST_Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 5345
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Macomb, IL
Contact:

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm

leatherneckcountry wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:07 pm
meganeck wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
Minnesota just announced they added WIU to their 2022 schedule
Interesting. We already have South Alabama (Sun Belt) on the schedule for that year. I wonder if we're going with 2 FBS games that year, or if something has changed with the game at USA.
A few years ago we played Wisconsin and Northwestern in the same season
That was a 12-game season though, so we were able to play 4 games OOC. We had 2 money games and two easy wins, if I remember correctly. I don't know if 2022 is the same though. If it's only an 11-game season, then we only have one other OOC game, home against Southern Utah. They've been pretty good lately, so there's a real chance of 0-3 to start the season if we struggle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Post Reply