Gameday @EIU

wiu2013

wiu2013 wrote:
JoeWx21 wrote:Well no one else will say it so I will

The WIU Men's Basketball Team is SOFT.

Bunch of divas who think they are good but seeing the reality they are not.

Multiple and stupid Turnovers each game, taking stupid shots, committing dumb fouls, and no inside game.

AGAIN Coach Billy Wright your Basketball Team is SOFT...WEAK...HAS NO HEART

I hope someone send this to them.

(and yes I am more vocal then usual and pissed off because I have no clue why when one of these programs get a taste of success they take 2 steps back. I am jealous some of the more season alums have seen these programs once thrive and succeed and I want that. 10 years in Macomb and saw one championship team (2012 basketball team) and 4 playoff appearances (2010 and 2015 football, and 2012 and 2013 basketball). So this could be frustration coming out, but when you see conservative and non-discipline coaching going on wasting good talent that pisses me off more then seeing a good team, playing good games being beat by better talent).
[/quote

Have you ever seen highlights of Coach Wright playing in high school or college? He was one of the toughest point guards around. I am sure he knows that these boys are soft and lack a tough mentality. So, if this message got passed along to him what would be your suggestion to toughen them up? In this day and age, most of them are beyond sensitive with their feelings, you can't scream their face and be an irate coach because you will be fired, disciplined, ridiculed?
Blackjack

Agree with all above. Wasting talent for sure. These freshman are doing ok but not going to make any difference either. WIU will not be able to get much better talent than they have. With this very basic system and all the dumb subbing, and predictable offense and defense we are just gonna get same results. If I was a coach scouting from another team, I would have an easy job. And it has nothing to do with talent on WIU. Just put a good defender on Covington and hope he doesn't turn into Michael Jordan and hit 40 on 50% shooting from 3. All the other players will be worried about getting taken out and not just play basketball.

With regard to toughness,, the refs call tickytack fouls now, so the game in general is soft. And to take a charge you have to be perfectly up right and fall straight back, cant lean an inch, feet pointed perfectly forward, and they still may not call charging.. I hate it btw, but they want more scoring less defense.
JoeWx21

I did notice how hard he was playing at Bradley since I used to live in the Peoria area...but do not forget Billy Wright also had help in some guy name Anthony Parker who was pretty damn good (that team was good enough to win the MVC title and get the automatic bid into the NCAA tournament in 1996...the last time the Peoria area had that much buzz for Bradley was in 2006).
JoeWx21

Blackjack wrote:Agree with all above. Wasting talent for sure. These freshman are doing ok but not going to make any difference either. WIU will not be able to get much better talent than they have. With this very basic system and all the dumb subbing, and predictable offense and defense we are just gonna get same results. If I was a coach scouting from another team, I would have an easy job. And it has nothing to do with talent on WIU. Just put a good defender on Covington and hope he doesn't turn into Michael Jordan and hit 40 on 50% shooting from 3. All the other players will be worried about getting taken out and not just play basketball.

With regard to toughness,, the refs call tickytack fouls now, so the game in general is soft. And to take a charge you have to be perfectly up right and fall straight back, cant lean an inch, feet pointed perfectly forward, and they still may not call charging.. I hate it btw, but they want more scoring less defense.

Again, that comes with coaching. Teach the guys to take proper charges. Also the players and coaches can ask the refs why a charge was not called. Ticky tac fouls or not, you cannot expect one guy to carry a team and hope the role playing crew picks up their game. That is what I mean by being soft. No one wants to work hard or play dirty.
wiu2013

JoeWx21 wrote:I did notice how hard he was playing at Bradley since I used to live in the Peoria area...but do not forget Billy Wright also had help in some guy name Anthony Parker who was pretty damn good (that team was good enough to win the MVC title and get the automatic bid into the NCAA tournament in 1996...the last time the Peoria area had that much buzz for Bradley was in 2006).
I am talking about the mental toughness! You would not have called him or any player on that team soft! This team definitely lacks that and for someone who has watched him his whole career, I know he knows these boys are soft!
Blackjack

just saying, I hope he figures it out for the fans and the players. Cause losing to subpar competition sucks..
wiu2013

I hope so too, sooner than later! Unfortunately, I think until the "soft," "untalented", and the "soft and untalented" players get released or graduate it is going to be an uphill battle! In my opinion, two will graduate this year.
vatusay

Ahhh yes, we have fallen back to the DT days. It was always great being one of maybe 137 people in the stands (sure wish they had those super comfy black leather seats then!). Only difference is the DT teams were absolutely loaded with raw talent. The teams from last year or two? Not so much.

Back to the bottom of all of D1 for WIU.
#ALLIN #YOLO
vatusay

Kind of expanding on last post. I don't know that there is a single player on this roster that would have been on the same talent level as any of Thomas' teams. I know talent isn't everything, proved by those very same teams. They just didn't play team basketball, had no discipline, and many had off court issues.
#ALLIN #YOLO
JoeWx21

vatusay wrote:Kind of expanding on last post. I don't know that there is a single player on this roster that would have been on the same talent level as any of Thomas' teams. I know talent isn't everything, proved by those very same teams. They just didn't play team basketball, had no discipline, and many had off court issues.

Thank You Vatusay