at Purdue

vatusay

Both of their bigs are impressive.

Gilbeck definitely drew the short straw tonight.

I didn't expect much from this game, really. Caught the second half. Shots just weren't falling. It's hard to get a clean look from anywhere against BIG team, let alone when there are two seven footers guarding the hoop.

Time for the season that matters to start. Hope these guys can put things together and play like a team.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu2017 wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:Dalan problem is that he's probably the worst defender that I've ever seen.
Really?????
he has probably the most deflections and blocked shots on the team with limited playing time, . Yes Ancrum has a hard time staying in front of small quick guards but who doesn't, he has improved and he plays help defense.. He challenges three point shots,.. When he is in, our Defense is better..
I could shoot over Delo or Duff,, but not Ancrum. Height, length, and leaping ability matter,, its basketball, not soccer
I think he does need some work on defense. He has length for sure, but his feet are usually spread much wider than his rather narrow shoulders. That is a big no-no. I like what he brings to the table on offense but even there he needs some balance work. Some of his shots end up being fades when they don't really need to be. That is one of the toughest shots to master in the game. If a guard can master that one along with the floater, the sky is the limit.
yep I agree with your analysis as usual.. I feel with his faults, as they may be, his upside is much more. yep that fade away is not necessary, he is short when he does that,, thats coaching..
Covington is going to be shut down way too many games, the only hope is to get Ancrum to take some defense away from Covington and free up Mike for the open three.. in other words Play team offense.. Covington doesn't have the leaping ability to shoot over defenders, as was seen tonight, he was forcing hurried shots because he had a good defender on him..
letsgonecks

Refs let the Purdue bigs set the tone early. Haas should have had 2 offensive clearing out fouls the first two possessions. Instead, he drew Brandon's first foul on the second and started his impressive FT shooting. We were still out matched, but when bigger and stronger teams knows they can be even more aggressive against us, we're screwed. Pretty sure Haas dunked on his tippy toes!!!!!!

The good news is we'll not see another team like this the rest of the year. The next match-up down low should seem a bit easier and hopefully keep building Brandon's confidence as we need him to perform, if we're going to win.

Mike is looking by far the best player on this team. Not just last night in front of family, but since he's been back. Hustles, hits the boards, can shoot, can drive a bit, and plays the best D. Against lesser competition, he'll continue to draw more attention and open things up for Garrett and Duff.

Speaking of Garrett, his shot was off last night and he was forcing. Maybe it was the forcing, but his shots looked to be coming out of his hand with a side spin.
wiu712

This game assessment by the Associated Press was in today's Peoria Journal-Star:

Western Illinois: The Leathernecks showed an ability to shoot 3-pointers, going 8 for 15 from beyond the arc in the first half - but are a sub-.500 team in large part because their interior players lack the size or skill to play with teams whose low-post players are the focal point of the offense, like Purdue.
sealhall74

I watched some Haas HS video highlights. He was just as tall and packing some baby fat poundage back then. Now he is all muscle after a couple years of college seasoning. Daum from SDSU is probably the closest thing we will see to him for the rest of this year.

The $64K question is this: Why am I not seeing that same kind of year-to-year player development from our guys?
Last edited by sealhall74 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:This game assessment by the Associated Press was in today's Peoria Journal-Star:

Western Illinois: The Leathernecks showed an ability to shoot 3-pointers, going 8 for 15 from beyond the arc in the first half - but are a sub-.500 team in large part because their interior players lack the size or skill to play with teams whose low-post players are the focal point of the offense, like Purdue.
The writer is a genius. LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2013

sealhall74 wrote:I watched some Haas HS video highlights. He was just as tall and packing some baby fat poundage back then. Now he is all muscle after a couple years of college seasoning. Daum from SDSU is probably the closest thing we will see to him for the rest of this year.

The $64K question is this: Why am I not seeing that same kind of year-to-year player development from our guys?
If you go back and look at Haas' first 2 seasons at Purdue he was just big, but very awkward like Brandon with a lot of fouling and missed short shots.
wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote:I watched some Haas HS video highlights. He was just as tall and packing some baby fat poundage back then. Now he is all muscle after a couple years of college seasoning. Daum from SDSU is probably the closest thing we will see to him for the rest of this year.

Easy question, WIU coaches can't develop these kids.. Its not just muscle, it footwork and everything. We shoot the 3 well, I'll give them that..

Swanigan had 21 points and 21 rebounds.. Ridiculous ,, gotta play zone some and front the post, We didn't even make it hard for them to get the ball to the post.. I don't get it..
Necks2003

Anyone have any idea the extent of the Sandifer injury?

Luckily, Bruster has had some descent minutes for the season thus far. I think he can step in and take over if needed. Not sure who the second point guard would be if Bruster needs to rest and they play a team that likes to run a lot of full court press.