Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
LocalFan

Isn't it part of human nature to always be able to justify the amount we earn (and usually finding an excuse why we deserve more) while also decrying how much another person is overpaid? Illinois has a spending problem and a revenue problem. Illinois also has a rigid constitution that requires public employee pension obligations to be honored without any reductions. I've lost count of how many Illinois supreme court cases have confirmed this. Right or wrong, pensions cannot be cut so the extravagant promises made by politicians decades ago must be honored, no matter the cost. The revenue problem needs to be addressed by amending the state constitution to allow a progressive income tax. The flat tax that we have now is in fact regressive and disproportionately affect low and middle income families. Retirement income should also be taxed. Income is income, regardless of source, in my opinion. But what politician will propose a "granny tax?" It would be political suicide! But, consider this. The senior citizen greeter at Wal-Mart pays more in Illinois state income tax than Al Goldfarb. How is that equitable?

I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated with Madigan, Rauner, WIU administration, and WIU UPI union. As Leatherhawk said, I'm tired.
sealhall74

LocalFan wrote:Isn't it part of human nature to always be able to justify the amount we earn (and usually finding an excuse why we deserve more) while also decrying how much another person is overpaid? Illinois has a spending problem and a revenue problem. Illinois also has a rigid constitution that requires public employee pension obligations to be honored without any reductions. I've lost count of how many Illinois supreme court cases have confirmed this. Right or wrong, pensions cannot be cut so the extravagant promises made by politicians decades ago must be honored, no matter the cost. The revenue problem needs to be addressed by amending the state constitution to allow a progressive income tax. The flat tax that we have now is in fact regressive and disproportionately affect low and middle income families. Retirement income should also be taxed. Income is income, regardless of source, in my opinion. But what politician will propose a "granny tax?" It would be political suicide! But, consider this. The senior citizen greeter at Wal-Mart pays more in Illinois state income tax than Al Goldfarb. How is that equitable?

I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated with Madigan, Rauner, WIU administration, and WIU UPI union. As Leatherhawk said, I'm tired.
There is a very simple solution to the granny tax problem. Don't vote in politicians whose first concern is that of being reelected. Also would not hurt to get the 20-somethings to the polls.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck10

It was my frustration, after 14 years, with all the survey/assessment data the administration had not leading to change, but instead, spinning the data to make everything look good and ignoring the need for change that led to my leaving in 2012. Much of the enrollment and retention issues we have now were looming then, and had leadership taken note and accepted rather than denying the writing on the wall, I think Western would be much more like SIU Edwardsville in thriving, not just trying to exist. And yes, I do believe retirement income should be taxed! I suggested it long ago as a partial solution, but the legislature fears that taking retirement income, including social security, which likewise is not subject to Illinois state tax, would lead to more retirees leaving the state.[/quote]

--------

I think your message indirectly answers the question why UPI is requiring something in return in exchange for giving up and giving back salary. For years Administration has not used data effectively and wisely. But for at least six years now every single time Admin has been short on cash UPI has given up raises or, now, will likely return earned salary. As you know UPI effectively sets the raise schedule for campus. The entire campus usually magically gets the same exact raises UPI negotiates. So no, UPI is not interested in just giving money up/back without getting something in return. But what was negotiated this time will cost the University little to nothing out of pocket. It is almost pure savings.

The current financial problems were totally not foreseeable. Admin cannot be blamed for the lack of a state budget. But the other part of the cash crisis, recruitment and retention, is primarily an administrative responsibility. (And don't get me started on the choices of leaders we have had for the Foundation the last ten years. The lack of significant fundraising results speaks for itself.) Academic programming is also an administrative function. They should have shifted resources to hotter programs years ago. (Much like SIUe did very effectively.)

Many, many faculty members are willing and able to assist with recruiting. Only a handful actually do (primarily in COFAC). Why does Admin not assign faculty ACES for recruiting? Lord knows there are gobs of faculty not teaching up to their full ACE loads. I know I have asked about this, but I'm always told, "there's no money for a car/mileage/per diem." That is a terrible, terrible excuse. I have suggested loading 8-10 faculty members on a university van and driving to regional high schools for a day of recruiting. The response I got? Silence. The cost would be, at tops, a few hundred dollars for a whole day.

I got off topic here. Yes, UPI expects something in return for giving up money. Admin should not be able to keep using its "get out of jail free card" of salary givebacks when it bears a significant amount of the responsibility for the financial problems. UPI members deserve to get something in exchange for the Admin not living up to its end of the contract. The "something" this time will actually cost Admin next to nothing.

UPI has been too slow in being a part of the solution, no doubt. But asking for something in return is how business is done in collectively bargained environments.

The real hurt that is coming, and the one nobody is talking about, is the massive increase in health care costs coming on July 1. I am hearing that premiums are expected to nearly double. That will make my family premium nearly $700/month. Health insurance will remain premium-free for retirees. :-)
wiu712

Leatherneck10 wrote:The real hurt that is coming, and the one nobody is talking about, is the massive increase in health care costs coming on July 1. I am hearing that premiums are expected to nearly double. That will make my family premium nearly $700/month. Health insurance will remain premium-free for retirees.
There are 4 basic levels of health insurance:
Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze

Gov Bruce Rauner has been saying for a long time that the State can no longer afford a Platinum level health plan for its employees. He would like to lower it down to a Silver plan.

His original proposal called for a 5X increase in the employee health insurance premiums. That has been lowered down to a 2X increase.

Don't you have to have 20 years of service to get the free health insurance as a retiree ???? For regular state employees, a retiree has to pay 5% of the cost for every year that they are under 20 years of service. For example: someone with 12 years of service would pay 40% (8 X 5%).
Leatherneck10

wiu712 wrote:
Leatherneck10 wrote:The real hurt that is coming, and the one nobody is talking about, is the massive increase in health care costs coming on July 1. I am hearing that premiums are expected to nearly double. That will make my family premium nearly $700/month. Health insurance will remain premium-free for retirees.
There are 4 basic levels of health insurance:
Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze

Gov Bruce Rauner has been saying for a long time that the State can no longer afford a Platinum level health plan for its employees. He would like to lower it down to a Silver plan.

His original proposal called for a 5X increase in the employee health insurance premiums. That has been lowered down to a 2X increase.

Don't you have to have 20 years of service to get the free health insurance as a retiree ???? For regular state employees, a retiree has to pay 5% of the cost for every year that they are under 20 years of service. For example: someone with 12 years of service would pay 40% (8 X 5%).
---

That's right... annuitants get a 5% subsidy for each year of employment, up to 20 years. A very (overly?) generous benefit. At a minimum retirees should be asked to pay the same premium as current employees, but the courts have ruled on that.

For some bizarre reason AFSCME bargains health care costs for the whole state. Gov. Rauner hates AFSCME more than any other union- and that's saying something.
ibleedpurpleandgold

Keep a look out on WMBD saw them on campus this morning video taping around Sherman.
wiu712

Leatherneck10 wrote:For some bizarre reason AFSCME bargains health care costs for the whole state. Gov. Rauner hates AFSCME more than any other union- and that's saying something.
Yes, AFSCME does negotiate the Group Health Insurance plan for all state employees and retirees.

The AFSCME employees have been working without a contract since July 1, 2015. Rauner may go to the Labor Relations Board to have an impasse declared in the contract negotiations. That would enable him to impose a contract. AFSCME would then have to decide to accept the imposed contract or go on strike.

The "20 Year" requirement for premium-free health insurance for retirees was put in back in the 1990's as part of a negotiated deal between Gov Jim Edgar and AFSCME. Prior to that, it only took 8 years of service to get the free insurance. So AFSCME will tell you that they have already given up a lot.
wiu712

Illinois comptroller: Paychecks for state officeholders to be delayed

From the Associated Press:

Illinois Comptroller Leslie Munger says the state's six elected constitutional officers and 177 state lawmakers will have to wait for their paychecks just like others in the state during the budget impasse.

Munger said at a news conference on Sunday that it isn't fair that she, members of the General Assembly and other state officeholders get their paychecks on time during the budget crisis while social service organizations and small companies that do business with Illinois must wait.

The failure to pass a budget has created a crisis that is now stretching into its 10th month and has left the state nearly $8 billion in debt.

Munger says until a budget is passed, the pay will be treated like other bills - meaning paychecks could be delayed by a month or two.

The decision affects the lieutenant government, attorney general, secretary of state, comptroller and treasurer. It also technically affects Gov. Bruce Rauner, although he takes a state salary of only $1 a year.

Salaries for those six positions, plus the 177 General Assembly members, total approximately $1.3 million a month, or $15.6 million annually, the comptroller's office said. The elected leaders are customarily paid on the last day of the month. Munger said her office will still process the vouchers monthly, but the warrants will then wait in a queue with other payments before being released when cash is available.