ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote:Interesting O'Malley had originally committed to UofI
That reminded me of something. We're obviously not going to get all these kids. Some of them will end up getting FBS offers and going to those schools. However, becoming familiar with and sending out offers to kids who are "borderline" P5 players could pay dividends in the future. If they don't get as much playing time where they end up going, want to be closer to home, or are just unhappy with the situation for whatever reason after a year or two, they may look to transfer to an FCS school that would offer a better situation for them. Sending out offers to these kids is essentially getting our "foot in the door" for if they decide they want to go elsewhere. They'll remember the staff and remember that we were willing to give them an offer and that could play strongly into their decision-making process.

You don't really want to build your team around transfers, but they can be very important at filling holes and allowing your younger players to be redshirted and get more experience, so you're not putting them out there too soon....as well as finding the occasional "diamond in the rough" (*cough *cough...Stecker).
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:Interesting O'Malley had originally committed to UofI
That reminded me of something. We're obviously not going to get all these kids. Some of them will end up getting FBS offers and going to those schools. However, becoming familiar with and sending out offers to kids who are "borderline" P5 players could pay dividends in the future. If they don't get as much playing time where they end up going, want to be closer to home, or are just unhappy with the situation for whatever reason after a year or two, they may look to transfer to an FCS school that would offer a better situation for them. Sending out offers to these kids is essentially getting our "foot in the door" for if they decide they want to go elsewhere. They'll remember the staff and remember that we were willing to give them an offer and that could play strongly into their decision-making process.

You don't really want to build your team around transfers, but they can be very important at filling holes and allowing your younger players to be redshirted and get more experience, so you're not putting them out there too soon....as well as finding the occasional "diamond in the rough" (*cough *cough...Stecker).
I know he's not a transfer but Viti from this past class who had committed to maryland until the coaching change had a relationship with coach fisher which was huge.
leatherneckcountry

I've also noticed a ton of these kids have offer from the army and air force i wonder if we are going to be running a similar system to those two schools.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote:I've also noticed a ton of these kids have offer from the army and air force i wonder if we are going to be running a similar system to those two schools.
Could be using the service academies as a vetting source. They absolutely will not offer a kid unless he is of strong character and shows good academic potential in addition to the athletic prowess. Could also be a little of the "Coach P effect" as Don Patterson was a '73 Army grad.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
leatherneckcountry wrote:I've also noticed a ton of these kids have offer from the army and air force i wonder if we are going to be running a similar system to those two schools.
Could be using the service academies as a vetting source. They absolutely will not offer a kid unless he is of strong character and shows good academic potential in addition to the athletic prowess. Could also be a little of the "Coach P effect" as Don Patterson was a '73 Army grad.
True, but I wonder if you also see the service academies offer a few more than your average school due to not everyone wanting to go the "military" route. Like, say, for example, a school gets on average...15% of the kids they offer (this is just an example, not saying this is actually what they get). But service schools, despite the fact that they are pretty good schools academically, have the military requirement, and some kids might not be willing to do that. So maybe they only end up getting 10% of the kids they offer (on average...again...just as an example). So they end up offering a larger number, knowing that they will get fewer than the schools that they are roughly comparable to in terms of football "quality".

Not sure of that's a thing, but it was just a thought I had.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:
True, but I wonder if you also see the service academies offer a few more than your average school due to not everyone wanting to go the "military" route. Like, say, for example, a school gets on average...15% of the kids they offer (this is just an example, not saying this is actually what they get). But service schools, despite the fact that they are pretty good schools academically, have the military requirement, and some kids might not be willing to do that. So maybe they only end up getting 10% of the kids they offer (on average...again...just as an example). So they end up offering a larger number, knowing that they will get fewer than the schools that they are roughly comparable to in terms of football "quality".

Not sure of that's a thing, but it was just a thought I had.
Academies also have the benefit of their own "Prep Schools". I assume some of these academy offers will end up going that route if a kid needs a little academic push or does not end up with an official nomination from congress. Convince a kid to try the Prep School for a year and hope you can hook him/her for the long term.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Did a quick scan through of what I've already posted and didn't see these guys listed yet (could be wrong...it's early...brain's not up to full speed yet).

Justin Hall -
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4272698

Jamauri Laguerre -
Can't find a hudl page for him, but here's some info: http://247sports.com/Player/Jamauri-Laguerre-89232
and some highlights:

Isaiah Hill -
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3117758/isaiah-hill