2016 Leatherneck Football Preview - Quarterbacks

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Some QB position updates:

A guy that I don't know that I'd seen any mention of before, Tre Cervantes (I think it's actually Trey), is a Freshman QB coming to us from Buffalo Grove HS. Here's some highlights from this last fall:
He's listed at 6'3" and 185 lbs: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?r ... h=football

Cameron Birse's roster page has been added also: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?r ... h=football
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LegalEagle

Didn't really know which thread to post this in.

Did anyone see this article about the top 30 QB for the next draft?!?
Regardless of how our current QB situation stands. It's pretty awesome that the work that Norvell and the offense did over the last 3 seasons is being recognized with some legit looks. I honestly hope Norvell gets drafted, not only do I think this kid earned it. But the exposure and pride that will be bringing a smile to my face to see a Leatherneck walk on that stage next spring would be amazing.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2017-nfl- ... st-part-2/

Can't get over the irony that we finally have a top 30 QB prospect in the draft and he may not be starting in the fall though.
LegalEagle out...
sealhall74

I dont know who is going to be on the field but I do know one thing. Last year, these two QBs had a combined NET rushing total of 50 yards for the ENTIRE season. We will not get to the next level in the MVFC without significant improvement in this area.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

Great depth this year. Novell honorable mention last year, Sean All Newcomer, and two QBs in Birse and Slowik who developed at the FBS ranks.

With that, wanted to share the success of QBs that transfer out that have done well for themselves.

Gervais transferred to DII Findlay and was a regional nominee for the Harlon Hill Trophy given the the top divisional player.

O'Hara had a great year at Juco and now finds himself in the FBS. A historically poor North Texas, but FBS non the less.

Northern exhausted his eligibility last year in the NAIA ranks, but won a National Championship last year and lost it the previous.

Just to fill in all the ranks, Nick Schroeder who came to WIU as a QB, complete 1 pass last year at DIII UW-Stevens Point. Punter there and backup QB.

So ready for this season to start.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A QB roster update...Cameron Birse has left the team. Not at all surprising once McGuire was announced as the starter (they're both considered sophomores for 2016). Sounds like he was fairly mediocre at Arkansas State, so not a huge loss anyway.

If you look at the likely QB depth chart for the next few seasons, it's unlikely he was going to be getting much (if any) playing time...McGuire likely starting the next three years...I'm hearing good things about Sampson in camp (he'll still be likely redshirted this season), so he'll make a good backup to McGuire until Sean graduates.

2016 - McGuire (So), Norvell (Sr), Slowik (Jr)
2017 - McGuire (Jr), Sampson (R-Fr), Slowik (Sr)
2018 - McGuire (Sr), Sampson (So)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000