Team Preview from thefcswedge.com

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A guy who frequents AnyGivenSaturday.com and helps run theFCSWedge.com is writing MVFC team previews for the season. He just posted one for Western yesterday, but has been going through all the teams over the last couple of weeks. Here's the link to all the conference previews for anyone interested: http://thefcswedge.com/category/confere ... iews/mvfc/

For the most part, I think he's pretty spot-on. He does mention the need to find a short-yardage option (now that Watson is gone), but I think that'll be covered by a combination of WRs and TEs. He addresses some of the question marks at defense and special teams...things that have hopefully been improved with the different coaching staff and added personnel.

I think he's probably about right on his prediction for the season...he's got us finishing 7-4 overall, 5-3 in the conference, which would be good enough to make the playoffs again this year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

I'd say fair enough review. Still hoping we'll have a pleasant surprise when it comes to a RB picking up the slack (and tough yards).

Funny, but when he did the review on USD, they got really torqued off. They seem to think our ex-coach is going to wave a magic wand and make them "all that" this year. I have my doubts.

Anyway, I'm anxious for the season to get started. Can't wait to see what the 'Necks can do this year!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Right. Will USD be better this year than last year...I think probably a little, but it's still the same guys out there playing. Same with us, Fisher is a great guy, but he can't magically make our defense and special teams amazing. I think both aspects will be a little better, which combined with what should be one of the top passing attacks in the FCS, should amount to a better season this year than last.

RB-wise, I think a steady rotation of guys plus using TE's in the short passing game will cover us well enough in that area.
Our 3rd and 4th WR on the depth chart would be starting WRs at a lot of FCS schools, so having them as options even beyond Lenoir and Borsellino should work well...no matter who's defending who, we're almost always going to have someone free who can catch the ball well.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Pretty reasonable prediction.
Question for someone in the know. With an offensive background, is Charlie going to be calling his own plays this year?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck57

sealhall74 wrote:Pretty reasonable prediction.
Question for someone in the know. With an offensive background, is Charlie going to be calling his own plays this year?

Coach Fisher will have a lot of say so in the offensive game planning but he is very excited and confident to have an offensive coordinator like Coach Malone calling plays. Coach Malone is a proven OC and I'm sure he and Charlie are both on the same page and with Coach Elliott calling the plays on the sidelines I truly believe we will put up some big numbers on offense this year.

From what I hear the kid from Temple has had a great camp but let's not forget the RB's already on the roster that will carry the rock and do a good job.

This team has never been through a camp like we had this year with everyone living in the dorm, upper classmen rooming with freshman, conditioning, practicing to WIN every day, along with positive meetings, team functions, not to mention a special visit from Don Beebe and so on. Believe me our boys will be well prepared and ready next Thursday in Charleston! I can't wait to see them play.

I will be at practice tomorrow afternoon and will let you know any updates.

Go Necks!!!
LN57