2016 Polls - Week 2

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

MVFC teams (and other opponents) in Week 2 Polls (following 9/10 Weekend games)
Previous ranking in parentheses following team name.

STATS FCS Poll (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs#)
1. North Dakota State (1)
5. Illinois State (10)
9. South Dakota State (9)
10. Northern Iowa (3)
16. Western Illinois (18)
20. Youngstown State (20)
24. Northern Arizona (19)
ORV Eastern Illinois
ORV South Dakota
OV Southern Illinois

Any Given Saturday Poll (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... 09-12-2016)
1. North Dakota State (1)
5. South Dakota State (6)
6. Illinois State (11)
11. Northern Iowa (3)
12. Western Illinois (16)
17. Youngstown State (18)
24. Northern Arizona (19)
ORV Section
28T. Eastern Illinois (NR)
39T. Southern Illinois (NR)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Only Question Mark for me is Illinois State. Basically they have played one game against a team that shot itself in the foot time and time again. Valpo, shouldn't count for a qualifier, everyone on this board Knows why.
Western_101

So I obvioulsy was curious bout the EIU Miami contest. Holy F tards Batman......WOW.....I mean WOw.......I have never in my life seen a team implode as badley as PROFOUNDLY as badly as MIAMI did....

For those that have ROKU.....click down to NCAA football and find the game...watch the last brutal 10 minutes......ESPN will prob only keep it up another couple days.
Western_101

This team feels like about a number 8-10 ranking......not being a homer......that feels ligit. Lotta bad FCS ball out their and honestly Ivy league shouldnt be ranked....hmmmm, I guess their not.
Western_101

RedNeck wrote:This team feels like about a number 8-10 ranking......not being a homer......that feels right. Lotta bad FCS ball out there and honestly Ivy league shouldnt be ranked....hmmmm, I guess their not.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hey Red, just fyi...I think you should be able to edit your own posts, so if you wanted to put that all together into one post, you could do that...just so you're aware.

For anyone that has access to ESPN3/WatchESPN, you can watch the EIU/Miami (OH) game here: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2874774/

EDIT - yea...watching the last bit of the game now. EIU was down by 10, but Miami was playing some pretty dirty football...quite a few penalties, a guy removed from the game for targeting, dumb plays by Miami to stop the clock when they needed it to keep running, and a bad kick causing EIU to have good field position. Plus just not covering all that well and allowing EIU to get the yards when they needed them.
EIU did a really good job of clock management too...saving time outs for the last drive, mostly passing plays, etc. And on that last TD by Church, EIU's O-line broke open a HUGE hole for him to run through....wasn't even touched.
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote:Hey Red, just fyi...I think you should be able to edit your own posts, so if you wanted to put that all together into one post, you could do that...just so you're aware.

For anyone that has access to ESPN3/WatchESPN, you can watch the EIU/Miami (OH) game here: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2874774/
What, and lose my "rain man" charm. that's my only redeemable quality Scott. Btw, the more disjointed I project, the better you look as our leader. Just have fun.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:What, and lose my "rain man" charm. that's my only redeemable quality Scott. Btw, the more disjointed I project, the better you look as our leader. Just have fun.
Haha....fair enough. :lol:
letsgonecks

No game this week, but do get mentioned in the weekly Stats FCS top 25 preview. Mr. Haley gives a shout out that we should possibly be ranked higher than 16.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 0140928104

Early polls don't really mean much, but you'd like the respect when earned. Only a few chances to move up this week.

G-Webb over #15 Citadel
SFA over #14 McNesse

If Norfolk State can somehow take down W&M that would move us past them. Not likely with NS's win coming against DII Elizabeth City State by a score of 20-12. Then stomped by a top Richmond team 34-0.

Maybe if UNI gets handled by EWU or vice-versa, but not likely.

Last possibility and not likely would be EIU stomping ISU. A win by EIU should move them top 15 and therefore move us up since we beat them on the road by 17. Might not be enough to move #8 ISU behind us unless its bad.

Finally, if Coastal beats Jacksonville State and no other ranked teams ahead of us lose, they might move them in front of us. Or they might not since they're leaving for the FBS and that tends to get teams fewer or no votes.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I do post the polls, but honestly, I'm not too concerned by them, and especially not at this point. It's kinda interesting to track, but I could pretty much care less if we're 16, 14, 12. The playoff committee does their own ranking at the end of the regular season and they don't really take the polls into consideration. The way it is now, if you're in the top 20 rankings, you're pretty much in the playoffs, and that's the important bit for me in terms of a football seasons "success" (at this point...still love to win a championship someday....maybe someday soon).

They take 24 teams into the playoffs now. A few of those will be lower-level conference champions that are ranked outside the regular top 20, but you'll also likely have a couple of top-20 ranked teams that don't play in the playoffs...Ivy League, MEAC, SWAC. If we win our 7+ games in an 11-game season, we'll be up there and in the playoffs.

Another thing to think of is that perception of the different rankings. I don't really think there's much difference in most people's minds between #11 and #19. If we break top 10 in poll, then that's something that kinda hits people's perception a bit differently. We beat NIU in 9 days and I think we will break the top 10, which can be important in getting students out to the games. Fans like many of us, we'll go to the games regardless of ranking, but for the more casual (or less-interested) student fan, seeing that we're ranked in the top 10, even if it's "just FCS" can be something of a draw.