SIU AD Job Opening

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
VoiceOfReasonFan

Wow... listen to yourselves! Sometimes y'all blow my mind. I post a discussion hoping that people would at least chime in throw some love Tommy's way, instead we get a bunch of "give us a shiny new stadium" paid for by Leatherneck Nation's snake oil. Seriously... rewind about a year ago when the final 3 came to campus and interviewed for the AD spot. The young guy from Colorado, from what I know, pulled out of the running and the third finalist; well, I'll just be nice and say she wasn't a great option, in my humble opinion. We're lucky to have Tommy, check that, we need Tommy.

Speaking of the stadium, how long has it taken to break ground on the PAS building? Clock is still running on that, correct? First State funded campus building project since the 70s or something? So what's going to build the west side stadium? Western's robust endowment? Western Athletics Leatherneck Club's deep coffers built up while TVA was here!? Or maybe it'll come from all the gameday revenue being brought in from the great attendance at all the sporting events? Changes to all of this won't happen over night, but with the right people, it can happen.

The AD position at Western right now is one for a guy with experience, thick skin, creativity, and the motivation to build something from the ground up. Make no mistake, that's where this Athletics program, and one might argue, this University, is right now. To get back to a level of respectability, we need good people, check that, exceptional people to lead the way. I think we've got that in the head chair of the athletics department right now. And on the field, we've got quite a few really great coaches too. Rally around them, their hard work is appreciated, at least by this fan.
WIU0812

No one wants Tommy to go at all, he is best thing that has happened to the school in ages. I think no one wants another let down where a position opens else where and someone bails on the school so we are left picking up the scraps. It is easier to not talk about it than bring up the tough truth that this is something he may be interested in. I really love the way things are going and that Tommy has had great ideas that are cost effective and driven towards the future and not just the now. I hope he stays for at least 5 to 10 years and that they fill the SIU AD soon with someone else.

As for the stadium it has been said that it will not be funded with any state funds so money must be somewhere. I am sure they have know for upwards of a decade that this was coming and hopefully have been preparing funds and bonds for this project. I am sure that makes things go much faster than waiting on the state.
meganeck

I don't know much about the opening at SIU or how Tommy is doing, so I don't really have much to add. Agree though it would be disappointing if he did leave so soon after taking the job. Seems like he has done some good things so far.
Keyser Soze

There is no shovel ready project in place at this point regarding West Side of the Stadium. That money has to be in hand to start digging. The aforementioned rendering is called a "Program Study"--they are not attached to any actual blue prints----- that would come along in the next phase of design. At this point money needs to be raised privately to take the next step towards back end design and subsequent construction. The renderings are very nice compared to any of the previous two
Neckfansince71

Keyser,
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there usually a quiet/silent phase to any fund raising campaign? Usually isn't that 50% of the total necessary for the project? ;) jc
WIU0812

I would be okay with calling it Hanson field and HyVee stadium if we could get a very large donation from HyVee since they seem like they give us a decent amount of support.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:I would be okay with calling it Hanson field and HyVee stadium if we could get a very large donation from HyVee since they seem like they give us a decent amount of support.
Yea, you see that a lot...."So-and-so Field at Bighuge Stadium". So if it was Hy-Vee or something, then we'd have Hanson Field at Hy-Vee Stadium, for example. Or if a big $ donor steps up and provides a large chunk of the cost of the stadium, it could be Hanson Field at Joe Smith Stadium....or whatever. As long as we keep the Hanson Field part, I'm not opposed to going that route if it means that it gets done.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU0812 wrote:I would be okay with calling it Hanson field and HyVee stadium if we could get a very large donation from HyVee since they seem like they give us a decent amount of support.
Yea, you see that a lot...."So-and-so Field at Bighuge Stadium". So if it was Hy-Vee or something, then we'd have Hanson Field at Hy-Vee Stadium, for example. Or if a big $ donor steps up and provides a large chunk of the cost of the stadium, it could be Hanson Field at Joe Smith Stadium....or whatever. As long as we keep the Hanson Field part, I'm not opposed to going that route if it means that it gets done.
Another way to approach it is like what UCLA did when dedicated ALL of their facilities in honor of Jackie Robinson:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 07616.html

There are only so many fields, courts, and stadiums to go around for all of the big donors. I could see relinquishing Hanson Field moniker to some other party and letting the Hanson name be a bit broader in scope. After all, he was a basketball coach as well and the AD in latter years.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

We are lucky we have not sold rights to stadium before. More things like this will be happening in future to keep football alive at smaller d1 schools. I fully anticipate beer sales and sponsorship in next 10 years. Mainly due tonfact that it is large untapped revenue source that these schools need.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, essentially we'd have the "Ray 'Rock' Hanson Athletic Complex" or something, and then the field could be renamed something else?

I guess that might be ok...but it just feels weird to not have it be Hanson Field.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000