Time to Fire Billy Wright and Rebuild the Basketball Program

WIUSuperFan

I hope Billy Wright is gone as early as Monday. 2nd worst season for Wright as head coach. We missed the tournament for the second time under his coaching. Embarrassing. :x
As always, shoutout to the players for their dedication to the program. Just wish it would have been better times for the team.
Devin Biggs
BS, Meteorology (2017)
Alumnus of Western Illinois University
Email: dm-biggs@wiu.edu
Mr King

WIUSuperFan wrote:I hope Billy Wright is gone as early as Monday. 2nd worst season for Wright as head coach. We missed the tournament for the second time under his coaching. Embarrassing. :x
As always, shoutout to the players for their dedication to the program. Just wish it would have been better times for the team.
He only played six the second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr King

Mr King wrote:
WIUSuperFan wrote:I hope Billy Wright is gone as early as Monday. 2nd worst season for Wright as head coach. We missed the tournament for the second time under his coaching. Embarrassing. :x

Sitting on the bench

Rocky Swishterson

The 5-win season comes to an end with yet another pre-conference tourney elimination before the tourney even begins. Twof of our five wins were against schools that are not D1. If we do not get a new head coach immediately, we might want to consider going to DII ourselves. This is disgusting.
OldHare

Will the dismissal of Coach Wright occur before SLT or will this extend further into the future? Hopefully the university can scrape up enough $$ to find a coach. The women's program found JD. UND found a guy that might move them forward for less than the average pay. It is a tough business with a likable guy like Coach Wright.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

OldHare wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:51 pm Will the dismissal of Coach Wright occur before SLT or will this extend further into the future? Hopefully the university can scrape up enough $$ to find a coach. The women's program found JD. UND found a guy that might move them forward for less than the average pay. It is a tough business with a likable guy like Coach Wright.
Honestly, my hope is that it will happen tomorrow. Coach Wright is a decent guy, from everything I've heard/seen, and is a solid recruiter, but that's just not enough at this level of athletics. You have to be able to coach well in the middle of a high-intensity game and be able to motivate your players to give just a little bit extra when it's needed, and that's where it seems like he's fallen a bit short. He'd be a great #2 coach and I wish him the best, but we need to change things up...what we've been doing is obviously not working for us.
The reason I want to see it happen tomorrow is because it'll give us plenty of time to get in early on the coaching search, and it'll give Coach Wright more time to get his name out there on people's short lists.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Mr King

OldHare wrote:Will the dismissal of Coach Wright occur before SLT or will this extend further into the future? Hopefully the university can scrape up enough $$ to find a coach. The women's program found JD. UND found a guy that might move them forward for less than the average pay. It is a tough business with a likable guy like Coach Wright.
Who likes him he is tormenting my son everyday. He didn’t even got to the team dinner after the loss Saturday.

leatherneckcountry

Mr King wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:35 pm

only playing 6 or 7 guys is pretty normal at the D1 level Kansas is the #1 team in the country and they only play 7 guys U of I only plays about 7 guys. ORU played 7 guys on Saturday as well.
Mr King

leatherneckcountry wrote:
Mr King wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:35 pm

only playing 6 or 7 guys is pretty normal at the D1 level Kansas is the #1 team in the country and they only play 7 guys U of I only plays about 7 guys. ORU played 7 guys on Saturday as well.
He play mainly his bigs be because they are in foul trouble. Why keep playing the same 6-7 players and you keep losing. Mix it up. Every team that beat us ran us in the ground because we were out of gas. Then De Shawn would come off the bench get us back in the game and not play the whole second half. And I don’t call this D1 basketball. This in not one of the top teams in D1 Kansas has been a top team for decades.they have no offense very poor defense ranked 348 in the nation.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Mr King wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 pm Who likes him he is tormenting my son everyday. He didn’t even got to the team dinner after the loss Saturday.
Sorry, I should have said "from the outside perspective". I have no insight into what goes on in the locker room or offices/meeting rooms. Sorry to hear that your son is having a rough time this season. Hopefully we can get a new coaching staff in here quickly and he can better utilize your son's talents.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000