Head Coaching Search

Leatherneck177

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:34 am Here's a link to an article in the Springfield MO paper that lists salaries on Valley Coaches.  Of course Jared was last.  We need to be a little more competitive this time around to attract the Coach that we all want.   

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 765206002/

I'm not surprised that he was last, but the GAP between him and the next lowest is brutal. I understand that we are in a tough situation as a university, but we need to do better and be more competitive. It is actually embarrassing. 

sealhall74

Leatherneck177 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:45 am
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:34 am Here's a link to an article in the Springfield MO paper that lists salaries on Valley Coaches.  Of course Jared was last.  We need to be a little more competitive this time around to attract the Coach that we all want.   

I'm not surprised that he was last, but the GAP between him and the next lowest is brutal. I understand that we are in a tough situation as a university, but we need to do better and be more competitive. It is actually embarrassing. 

Sort of like the gap between our rushing per game average this year and the next lowest in conference.   Both need to be fixed ASAP.

Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:02 am

Sort of like the gap between our rushing per game average this year and the next lowest in conference.   Both need to be fixed ASAP.

I remember seeing he made 170k, but that could have factored in everything, including cost of insurance and the above is simply base salary.  Or he could have taken a decent pay cut to stay coach in 2021 on a 1 year deal.
https://www.news-gazette.com/news/local ... a4234.html

170k still the lowest in the conference.
rocki

So, who wants to step up and fund the " xxx and xxx Head Men's Football Coach" fund? (I can tell you right now, I don't have the financial means to do it).
sealhall74

Do we put in attendance incentives in the contract? If not, now would be a good time to start doing it.
Western_101

MIght be cool if ya got 5,000 to give a school you love, for them to refer upon you as that on t.v. and at home for one year. Meh, maybe a little cheesy too though.

GV Dad

Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:08 pm MIght be cool if ya got 5,000 to give a school you love, for them to refer upon you as that on t.v. and at home for one year. Meh, maybe a little cheesy too though.

You're spot one.  Even if you aren't in a place financially to donate that much, if you aren't in the Leatherneck Club or a Football Season ticket holder you have no right to complain about the Athletic Dept. Because you aren't doing your part either.  You can join the LC for $100.  To turn this program around it is going to take ALL of us, not just a new HC.  

letsgonecks

It was mentioned about an attendance bonus for the coach, but maybe the university tries to offer some sort of student attendance incentive.  This is not coach search related, but giving money to support was brought up and I'd be open to helping fund something.

Lets say its student only and for all or specific home games.  Could we scan and track student ID's as they enter the game?  Must be scanned in by a certain minute mark in the first quarter and then a random drawing to start the 4th quarter or specific minute mark and must be present to win.  Assuming you're not allowed to leave and come back in, so must stay for that specific timeframe.  The winner gets $500 cash?  Might not be that simple, but probably possible.

This could be promoted well before the season and be a major incentive for students to show up and stay.  You would think 2000+ students would find it worth while to spend a few hours at a game supporting their university for a chance to win $500.  Not bad odds either and maybe we win some games and they enjoy the experience and want to come to other games.

I hate to have to offer money for WIU students to support their team, but we need to find a way to get them out and engaged.  If someone knows how we can make this happen, I'd be open to further discussions and funding.  I usually donate to both the Leatherneck Club and University general use, but maybe this could be just as beneficial and worth trying.  Could be a complete failure and money wasted, but can't stand having limited student support.  I know this is a major issue for most none Power 5 schools and not winning doesn't help, but just trying to think of something.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 3:35 am
Western_101 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:08 pm MIght be cool if ya got 5,000 to give a school you love, for them to refer upon you as that on t.v. and at home for one year. Meh, maybe a little cheesy too though.

You're spot one.  Even if you aren't in a place financially to donate that much, if you aren't in the Leatherneck Club or a Football Season ticket holder you have no right to complain about the Athletic Dept. Because you aren't doing your part either.  You can join the LC for $100.  To turn this program around it is going to take ALL of us, not just a new HC. 

Many hands make light work. If you can spare more, great, but it's not really that expensive to join. I think the "Purple" level actually starts at $50 (that's under $5/month people), but obviously if you can swing a bit more, that's great. I know that it's quite likely that a good number of the people around here are already LC members, but for those of you who aren't, it's the easiest way to support the athletics programs.

My wife just got a promotion, so I'm going to have to see if she'd be ok with me spending a bit more of our money on our annual LC membership. Also, for those that aren't aware, you know how there's a few ads on this site?...that earns a little money every time you view it (so if you could disable your ad-blocker for leathernecknation.net, that'd be great) and anything beyond the cost of running the site gets donated to Athletics.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:46 am It was mentioned about an attendance bonus for the coach, but maybe the university tries to offer some sort of student attendance incentive.  This is not coach search related, but giving money to support was brought up and I'd be open to helping fund something.

Lets say its student only and for all or specific home games.  Could we scan and track student ID's as they enter the game?  Must be scanned in by a certain minute mark in the first quarter and then a random drawing to start the 4th quarter or specific minute mark and must be present to win.  Assuming you're not allowed to leave and come back in, so must stay for that specific timeframe.  The winner gets $500 cash?  Might not be that simple, but probably possible.

This could be promoted well before the season and be a major incentive for students to show up and stay.  You would think 2000+ students would find it worth while to spend a few hours at a game supporting their university for a chance to win $500.  Not bad odds either and maybe we win some games and they enjoy the experience and want to come to other games.

I hate to have to offer money for WIU students to support their team, but we need to find a way to get them out and engaged.  If someone knows how we can make this happen, I'd be open to further discussions and funding.  I usually donate to both the Leatherneck Club and University general use, but maybe this could be just as beneficial and worth trying.  Could be a complete failure and money wasted, but can't stand having limited student support.  I know this is a major issue for most none Power 5 schools and not winning doesn't help, but just trying to think of something.

I know I can do better with personal support but let me say this.  It a 2 way street.  Even the simple to do things like 50-50 raffle seem to have disappeared.  I know they were there last year with kids running around selling tickets.  In the 3 games I attended this year, I saw nothing, maybe it was there I dont know.  Dont remember any announcement about the winner so I assume not.  The Bison have an amazing 50-50 raffle system in place.  Totally automated.  Somebody in Fargo might be walking away with a huge chunk of cash this week as no winner in the previous game week.  I know different states have different laws concerning this kind of stuff, but it's like we dont even try to improve the situation except for the occasional coach offering up a free TV to some lucky student winner.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... 00-vs.-USD