Head Coaching Search

wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:37 pm
I know that a lot of schools also do a "band day" where they have all the local HS marching bands show up, sit in the stands, then get to participate in the halftime show. I think that might help encourage local kids to get interested in WIU football somewhat.

Western used to have a designated "Band Day".  Approx 10 high school bands would be at the game and participate in the half-time show.  

The highlight at each of those half-time shows came at the end when all of the combined bands would spell out a huge  W-E-S-T-E-R-N that would stretch from one end zone to the other.  All of the bands would then play the Western Fight Song.  The crowd loved it !  

Those games would draw big crowds because many band parents would be present.

High School bands today seem more interested in competitions.  Perhaps that is why our "Band Day" has disappeared.

wiu51

They used to give all area high school players a free ticket to every game. Tanney stopped that I believe. 
sealhall74

wiu51 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:20 pm They used to give all area high school players a free ticket to every game. Tanney stopped that I believe. 

Good idea.  Give a HS kid a ticket hopefully he brings along Mom, Dad, sis, ... for a family outing.  That could put 2 or 3 hundred or more in the stands.  I know me and my Dad would make several 15 or so mile trips to see Monmouth College play ball way way back in the day when I was a young pup.  lol
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: High School bands today seem more interested in competitions.  Perhaps that is why our "Band Day" has disappeared.

That's somewhat true, but generally the competitions are later in the season…late September to mid-November usually. I know Macomb High’s band didn’t have anything going on the weekend of our home opener this year. I also know that plenty of other schools still have “Band Day”. When we played at Northwestern and the last time we played at NIU were both band day for those schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I think it was the South Dakota game day.  There was something going on somewhere I assume HS Band-related as there were numerous yellow HS busses in Q lot. 
sealhall74

Here is another thing I saw missing this year.  For some reason, the whole north end of Hanson Field was blocked off for pedestrian traffic except for players, cheerleaders, band, etc.  Someone tell me what the logic there is.  You go in the northwest entrance and have to walk all the way down around the south end and then walk back north to get to your seat on the east side.  North end endzone was a great place to watch the game IMHO.  Used to have some portable bleachers there.  Close to concession stand.  I even saw Jack T hanging out there with his buddies one day.  
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:40 pm For some reason, the whole north end of Hanson Field was blocked off for pedestrian traffic except for players, cheerleaders, band, etc.  Someone tell me what the logic there is.

That was a big inconvenience for people trying to get to the Concessions & Bathrooms on the east side.  The bathrooms underneath the west stands were locked at all of the games this year.

And since fans could not re-enter, people could not use the bathrooms inside the Union at halftime.

Probably not a good idea to aggravate the few fans who do show up at the games.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:40 pm Here is another thing I saw missing this year.  For some reason, the whole north end of Hanson Field was blocked off for pedestrian traffic except for players, cheerleaders, band, etc.  Someone tell me what the logic there is.  You go in the northwest entrance and have to walk all the way down around the south end and then walk back north to get to your seat on the east side.  North end endzone was a great place to watch the game IMHO.  Used to have some portable bleachers there.  Close to concession stand.  I even saw Jack T hanging out there with his buddies one day.  

That was just a "this year" thing because of COVID. Non-university personnel were not allowed on the field or in close contact with players. It's not something that will continue in the future.
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:32 pm I think it was the South Dakota game day.  There was something going on somewhere I assume HS Band-related as there were numerous yellow HS busses in Q lot. 

There was some type of district music festival going on, non-marching band related, in Western Hall that day.
EDIT - it was the ILMEA District 4 concert festival: https://ilmea.org/d4concert-festival

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:08 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:40 pm Here is another thing I saw missing this year.  For some reason, the whole north end of Hanson Field was blocked off for pedestrian traffic except for players, cheerleaders, band, etc.  Someone tell me what the logic there is.  You go in the northwest entrance and have to walk all the way down around the south end and then walk back north to get to your seat on the east side.  North end endzone was a great place to watch the game IMHO.  Used to have some portable bleachers there.  Close to concession stand.  I even saw Jack T hanging out there with his buddies one day.  

That was just a "this year" thing because of COVID. Non-university personnel were not allowed on the field or in close contact with players. It's not something that will continue in the future.

I guess that makes some sense but those barracades did little to stop the close contact with players and their "fans" after the game was over.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:10 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:08 pm

I guess that makes some sense but those barrades did little to stop the close contact with players and their "fans" after the game was over.

It's less about the actual effect of it and more that the university could tell the NCAA that they technically did what they could to separate the on-field personnel from the fans and non-university personnel.