Leaving the conference

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
meganeck

Scott, do you see the OVC adding any others teams and what do you think the Summit will do. You think they will target other schools or you think there is a chance it could dissolve with other conferences looking to nab the Dakota schools.
may know

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:06 pm Do we know how many OVC schools have a fan forum

Morehead St, Southern Indiana, Little Rock, Tennessee St, & Tennessee Tech have forums.
may know

meganeck wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:26 pm Scott, do you see the OVC adding any others teams and what do you think the Summit will do. You think they will target other schools or you think there is a chance it could dissolve with other conferences looking to nab the Dakota schools.

Matt Brown had a newsletter recently mentioning OVC and West Georgia had conversations. I’m not sure if that’s still true. 
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:21 pm So their tournament is in Evansville every year? How do they do it are the men's and women's done at the same time like summit or held separately

Yes, Evansville every year at the Ford Center (https://fordcenter.com/)

Looks like a pretty nice facility, but I've never been there, so I can't say for sure. It's the home arena of the Evansville Aces of the MVC.

Last year's OVC tournament was held March 1-4 (both men and women) with the top 8 teams taking part. They match up #8 and #5, and #6 and #7, winners play #4 and #6, winners of that play #1 and #2 (so the #1 and #2 seeds don't have to play until the semifinals and only have to win 2 games to win the conference tournament). Here's last year's bracket: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... racket.pdf

In general, they play the women's games (2 per day, most rounds) in the afternoon and the men's games (again, 2/day most rounds) in the evenings.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:06 pm Do we know how many OVC schools have a fan forum

Haven't looked into that yet, but I know I'll have to update my Team LInks page: app.php/links
leatherneckcountry

I noticed it looks like they do a lot of Double headers for Basketball

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:26 pm Scott, do you see the OVC adding any others teams and what do you think the Summit will do. You think they will target other schools or you think there is a chance it could dissolve with other conferences looking to nab the Dakota schools.

Hard to say. The OVC, once we join them, will be at 11 for basketball and 7 for football.
YSU is now even more on their own. OVC would probably be better for them travel-wise for football, but I think they like where they're at in the Horizon League.
Indiana State is essentially in the same boat...OVC would be good for football, but they won't want to leave MVC basketball.
Robert Morris (private school just a bit outside of Pittsburgh) is also a name I've seen tossed around. They're in the Big South for football and Horizon League for other sports, so again...like YSU.
I don't really have a great handle on who might be looking at moving up from the DII ranks currently. I saw mentions of Valdosta State and West Florida being looked at by the United Athletic Conference, which is where a couple  of former OVC teams left for (Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky).

Longer term, you probably are looking at what the UAC is doing. If they end up adding more western schools (picking up some of the more southern of the Big Sky schools), then some of the more eastern schools might want to look at condensing their footprint, in which case schools like EKU, Austin Peay, North Alabama, and Central Arkansas are all fairly close. I doubt any of them would jump to the OVC in the next year or two, but who knows how things might progress over the next decade.

If you want crazy long-term theories, I could see a possible situation where the Summit dissolves.
The northern Big Sky teams (EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Portland State, and Weber State) end up joining up with the 4 Dakota schools for a new 12-team version of the Big Sky.
The southern Big Sky teams (Northern Arizona, CS Sacramento, Cal Poly, and UC Davis) join the WAC side of the UAC (SUU, Utah Tech, Abilene Christian, Tarleton, UTRGV, Stephen F. Austin) for a 10-team conference.
The remaining ASUN side of the UAC (Austin Peay, UCA, EKU, UNA) then end up going either Southland (possibly UCA), OVC (Ausin Peay and North Alabama), or Southern Conference (EKU).
I don't know if any of this is likely, but it seems like conference affiliation across the south is shifting frequently, so who knows.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:20 pm I noticed it looks like they do a lot of Double headers for Basketball

You're right. I just took a quick look at the last weekend of last January (Thursday 1/26 and Saturday 1/28). All games were part of double-headers during those two days. I think I like that arrangement, assuming they keep it.
redmyers

may wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:52 am

Morehead St, Southern Indiana, Little Rock, Tennessee St, & Tennessee Tech have forums.

Semo fan here -- I'm unaware of any Tenn Tech forum, but there is a Semo one. Links to the other OVC forums below:

Semo:  https://csnbbs.com/forum-81.html
UALR: https://csnbbs.com/forum-291.html
Morehead: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ovcspor ... eagles-f6/
USI: https://screamingeaglesnest.freeforums.net/
Tenn St: https://tsutigerfans.boards.net/

leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:27 pm

Hard to say. The OVC, once we join them, will be at 11 for basketball and 7 for football.
YSU is now even more on their own. OVC would probably be better for them travel-wise for football, but I think they like where they're at in the Horizon League.
Indiana State is essentially in the same boat...OVC would be good for football, but they won't want to leave MVC basketball.
Robert Morris (private school just a bit outside of Pittsburgh) is also a name I've seen tossed around. They're in the Big South for football and Horizon League for other sports, so again...like YSU.
I don't really have a great handle on who might be looking at moving up from the DII ranks currently. I saw mentions of Valdosta State and West Florida being looked at by the United Athletic Conference, which is where a couple  of former OVC teams left for (Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky).

Longer term, you probably are looking at what the UAC is doing. If they end up adding more western schools (picking up some of the more southern of the Big Sky schools), then some of the more eastern schools might want to look at condensing their footprint, in which case schools like EKU, Austin Peay, North Alabama, and Central Arkansas are all fairly close. I doubt any of them would jump to the OVC in the next year or two, but who knows how things might progress over the next decade.

If you want crazy long-term theories, I could see a possible situation where the Summit dissolves.
The northern Big Sky teams (EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Portland State, and Weber State) end up joining up with the 4 Dakota schools for a new 12-team version of the Big Sky.
The southern Big Sky teams (Northern Arizona, CS Sacramento, Cal Poly, and UC Davis) join the WAC side of the UAC (SUU, Utah Tech, Abilene Christian, Tarleton, UTRGV, Stephen F. Austin) for a 10-team conference.
The remaining ASUN side of the UAC (Austin Peay, UCA, EKU, UNA) then end up going either Southland (possibly UCA), OVC (Ausin Peay and North Alabama), or Southern Conference (EKU).
I don't know if any of this is likely, but it seems like conference affiliation across the south is shifting frequently, so who knows.

I’ve also West Georgia and the OVC