Question about tailgating

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I know that some of you have been directly involved in organizing/hosting tailgates at home football games in the past. I'm working with a few band alumni to see about setting up a band alumni tailgate at homecoming this year. I've never done anything like this...always been too busy doing the band alumni stuff...but I know that we always have a decent number of band alumni at homecoming every year that aren't interested in being in the alumni band, and I felt like I wanted to start doing some things for them as well.

Anyway, so I'm wondering, what do you do for tailgating? Do you plan on a specific amount of food/drinks? Have people pre-register so you know how much to get? Do you have a donation bucket to help cover costs or just pay for it all yourself? Any suggestions or things to keep in mind?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

For our parents group, I always get an initial headcount to start the planning and then a final headcount a week out. We do themes and have people volunteer to care for the main items. Others will sign up to either bring a side/complementary item or they can Venmo me a cash donation. I split this amount the groups caring for the main items.

some of our themes have been ballpark basics (Burgers, Brats and Dogs).  Bowl Mania ( chili, soups, stews, etc. anything you eat from a bowl), App to Go Crazy ( all appetizers and finger food), Seafood Boil and Friendsgiving (Deep fried Turkey and sides). 

we always have too much food and never have issues with getting donations. We’ve been doing it for several years though, so the group knows what to expect. 

GV Dad

We also started a “Hospitality Cooler”. For drop by or new members to enjoy.