NMSU

WIU2DC

Guest wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:21 pm
Guest wrote:Does anyone know if you can take an Uber or Lyft from the El Paso airport to Las Cruces and back?

How many of y’all are going? My buddy is being the DD for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just me. 

I sent you a DM

WIU2DC

Does NMSU have a blog? I can’t find one.

GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:09 pm Does NMSU have a blog? I can’t find one.

Assuming this is what you meant by "blog"?

Sports Trough (247sports.com)

WIU2DC

DarcyP

Watching UMess v. New Messico State and wondering if we might have a chance versus this Bottom Ten stalwart. Comments?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

DarcyP wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:39 pm Watching UMess v. New Messico State and wondering if we might have a chance versus this Bottom Ten stalwart. Comments?

As compared to other FBS teams, yes they're both pretty bad, but over the last year, we've been quite a bit worse.
New Mexico State actually went 7-6 overall last year...6-6, plus a win over Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl.

That being said, according to Massey Ratings, they fall squarely in the middle of the range of difficulty we'll have this year, giving us a 23% chance of a win.
That's a higher chance than: Missouri State (21%), SIU (16%), North Dakota (12%), UNI (6%), and NDSU (2%)
The teams that should be "easier" than NMSU are: South Dakota (26%), Illinois State (29%), Indiana State (35%), Southern Utah (36%), and the lone game where we're favored...Lindenwood (67%).

So...I guess if we've made some SIGNIFICANT improvements in the offseason, then we might have a shot, but I'm not holding my breath. I think our "ceiling" is probably wins over Lindenwood, SUU, and both ISU's to go 4-7 this year. I'll watch the game...of course I'd love to see us win it...but it seems rather unlikely.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:41 am
DarcyP wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:39 pm Watching UMess v. New Messico State and wondering if we might have a chance versus this Bottom Ten stalwart. Comments?

As compared to other FBS teams, yes they're both pretty bad, but over the last year, we've been quite a bit worse.
New Mexico State actually went 7-6 overall last year...6-6, plus a win over Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl.

That being said, according to Massey Ratings, they fall squarely in the middle of the range of difficulty we'll have this year, giving us a 23% chance of a win.
That's a higher chance than: Missouri State (21%), SIU (16%), North Dakota (12%), UNI (6%), and NDSU (2%)
The teams that should be "easier" than NMSU are: South Dakota (26%), Illinois State (29%), Indiana State (35%), Southern Utah (36%), and the lone game where we're favored...Lindenwood (67%).

So...I guess if we've made some SIGNIFICANT improvements in the offseason, then we might have a shot, but I'm not holding my breath. I think our "ceiling" is probably wins over Lindenwood, SUU, and both ISU's to go 4-7 this year. I'll watch the game...of course I'd love to see us win it...but it seems rather unlikely.

UMass looked to be a much more improved team than they've been over the last few DECADES.  Was it NMSU is just that bad or didn't play to their potential, we'll have to wait and see how the season shakes out for both.

Gives me hope that we'll have a chance to compete next week.  Too many question marks to gauge if we have a shot in hell to win.

Is NMSU that bad or is UMass that much better?

Will NMSU come out with something to prove and want to make a statement or could this loss send their season spiraling down the shitter?  For our sake next week, I hope the latter, but for Coach Kill, I hope they rebound week 3!!!

What do we even have for a team?   Can we move the ball?  Can we stop anyone? My hope is we shock the world and it starts next Saturday, but that might be a dream.

My optimistic Leatherneck Fandom feels like the coaches will have them prepared, we'll be much improved on both sides this year and we'll win.  Million dollars on the line,  I'm taking NMSU.

sealhall74

letsgonecks wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:57 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:41 am

UMass looked to be a much more improved team than they've been over the last few DECADES.  Was it NMSU is just that bad or didn't play to their potential, we'll have to wait and see how the season shakes out for both.

Gives me hope that we'll have a chance to compete next week.  Too many question marks to gauge if we have a shot in hell to win.

Is NMSU that bad or is UMass that much better?

Will NMSU come out with something to prove and want to make a statement or could this loss send their season spiraling down the shitter?  For our sake next week, I hope the latter, but for Coach Kill, I hope they rebound week 3!!!

What do we even have for a team?   Can we move the ball?  Can we stop anyone? My hope is we shock the world and it starts next Saturday, but that might be a dream.

My optimistic Leatherneck Fandom feels like the coaches will have them prepared, we'll be much improved on both sides this year and we'll win.  Million dollars on the line,  I'm taking NMSU.

Win or lose, I would be encouraged if we have some semblance of a running game.  We have been struggling for at least the last 3 years in that area.  When you struggle there, your QBs tend to also struggle in the air.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck57

Game Notes and depth chart for NMSU

https://goleathernecks.com/documents/20 ... S_NMSU.pdf

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Oh right, I forgot Jerry Kill was at NMSU now. Everywhere he goes, we keep running into him.

He was at SIU from '01-'07, where we played them 7 times and came away with only 1 win (in 2001, his first year and back when we were still pretty darn good).
He was at NIU from '08-'10, where we played them once in 2009 and were crushed by them, 41-7. We went 4-1 against NIU from '96 to our last game in '16, with the only loss being against Jerry Kill's version of the team.
He was at Minnesota from '11-'15, where we played them once in 2013 and lost 29-12.
He stepped down as HC of Minnesota due to health reasons in 2015, spent some time away from the sidelines, then eventually got back into it as an assistant on staffs at Rutgers, VA Tech, then TCU.
He was named HC at New Mexico State in 2022, and now...in 5 days...the Leathernecks face off against a Jerry Kill-led team for the 10th time.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000