9/16/23 - vs Lindenwood

sealhall74

Another dumb question but I still have a bucket full of them.  What is the maximum distance between home base and the competition venue that  a simple bus ride with no overnight stay is all you need to get ready?   Is a 3 hour bus ride too much?  If not, is that why we have a 6pm start time with Lindenwood, to make the travel convenient for them.  Do we stay overnight when we play the Redbirds?  
Embrace the pace of the race.

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:35 pm Another dumb question but I still have a bucket full of them.  What is the maximum distance between home base and the competition venue that  a simple bus ride with no overnight stay is all you need to get ready?   Is a 3 hour bus ride too much?  If not, is that why we have a 6pm start time with Lindenwood, to make the travel convenient for them.  Do we stay overnight when we play the Redbirds?  

We left to fly home after a 7p game in New Mexico to avoid another night of hotel expense.

huskie

Every team travels home after the game,  they need to get the kids back to school. This is nothing new, so please don't make a big deal about the travel.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Another dumb question but I still have a bucket full of them.  What is the maximum distance between home base and the competition venue that  a simple bus ride with no overnight stay is all you need to get ready?   Is a 3 hour bus ride too much?  If not, is that why we have a 6pm start time with Lindenwood, to make the travel convenient for them.  Do we stay overnight when we play the Redbirds?  
I seem to remember seeing them leave for a game at Illinois State the morning of the game once. Considering we don't have any hotels within an hour of us that can host a football team, Lindenwood might do the same heading up this way.

Hard to say though. I wonder if there's any place in Quincy that they could stay at and drive up to Macomb the morning of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:35 pm Another dumb question but I still have a bucket full of them.  What is the maximum distance between home base and the competition venue that  a simple bus ride with no overnight stay is all you need to get ready?   Is a 3 hour bus ride too much?  If not, is that why we have a 6pm start time with Lindenwood, to make the travel convenient for them.  Do we stay overnight when we play the Redbirds?  

Illinois State stayed in a Galesburg last Friday night.  I’m sure Lindenwood is staying in Quincy.  Coaches like to get their team out of town and all together. It creates togetherness.  They have a routine when on the road like team meetings etc.  Plus players rest better getting off campus and have no distractions like family coming in.  Most all of your home teams at the FBS level stay in a hotel the night before a game.  I’m sure there might be some FCS programs with larger budgets that do the same like NDSU, SDSU just to name a couple.

sealhall74

Leatherneck57 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:45 pm

Illinois State stayed in a Galesburg last Friday night.  I’m sure Lindenwood is staying in Quincy.  Coaches like to get their team out of town and all together. It creates togetherness.  They have a routine when on the road like team meetings etc.  Plus players rest better getting off campus and have no distractions like family coming in.  Most all of your home teams at the FBS level stay in a hotel the night before a game.  I’m sure there might be some FCS programs with larger budgets that do the same like NDSU, SDSU just to name a couple.

Interesting.  When I win the lottery, I am going to donate a bunch of millions of dollars to WIU to either 1) refurbish one of the now offline residence halls or 2) build something completely new, which acts as a "lab" for students in the hospitality-related academic programs.  We have that, right?  It would have all the amenities necessary to comfortably host a traveling football team and others.  It would not be the first such endeavor.  UNLV has a pretty good one.

https://www.unlv.edu/hospitality/hospitalityhall

Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck57

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:01 pm
Leatherneck57 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:45 pm

Interesting.  When I win the lottery, I am going to donate a bunch of millions of dollars to WIU to either 1) refurbish one of the now offline residence halls or 2) build something completely new, which acts as a "lab" for students in the hospitality-related academic programs.  We have that, right?  It would have all the amenities necessary to comfortably host a traveling football team and others.  It would not be the first such endeavor.  UNLV has a pretty good one.

https://www.unlv.edu/hospitality/hospitalityhall

When I played all the visiting teams stayed at the Holiday Inn north of University Dr.  I’ve always said if I win the lottery I would buy that property and build the “W” Hotel and host all teams for all sports that visit WIU.  You could stay busy with just those bookings.  I of course would do something with the West side as well!  I’m 65 now and it’s tough for me to climb those stairs without a handrail.  But that could be because of the beers at the tailgate prior to the game 🤣??

4EverPurple&Gold

Guest wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:57 pm

We left to fly home after a 7p game in New Mexico to avoid another night of hotel expense.

That's ridiculous and not fair to the student athletes  

leatherneckcountry

Looks like we could be playing in some rain tomorrow 
GV Dad

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:35 am
Guest wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:57 pm

That's ridiculous and not fair to the student athletes  

NCAA rules say teams have to have 1 complete day off a week.  No team activities at all; travel, meetings, walk thru, etc.  That day for the Majority of teams is Sunday.  You can't travel on Sunday and count it as your off day.  If you lose your Sunday off day, now you are down to 4 days of game prep rather than the normal 5.  Even FBS Power 5 schools travel Saturday night.  The KU Coach went on a rant about this rule this week.  They are playing at Nevada this Saturday, a 9:30 Kickoff Kansas time.  They have to fly home after the game, and make it back to Lawrence KS by 5am, or they lose their Sunday day off.  There's the NCAA for ya.