9/16/23 - vs Lindenwood

wiu712

Our Game Day Operations needs improvement.

The bathrooms under the west grandstand were locked for the first home game.

There were several non-operating lights for our one and only night game.

Exceedingly loud music from the scoreboard was drowning out the PA announcer and the Western Band.  That was finally stopped by the Head Referee who issued a Warning to Western Athletics to "cut the music".

Last edited by wiu712 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:15 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:08 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 am We need a game day theme song that either the band or the music DJ breaks out exactly once a game at THE most opportune time.  We sort of have one (the Hey Sports song) but it is growing old. Dont ask me what it should be but it is something that each and every fan knows is coming and can't wait for it to get there so they can stand up and sing along, wave along, etc..  Wisconsin football has Sweet Caroline.  For the George Mason hoops fans, it was always Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer.  

Also, is it just me or does our down marker on the sideline get stuck on 4 a little too oflten?

I thought Wisconsin's was "Jump Around" between the 3rd and 4th quarters?
But yes, there's a lot that could be improved with gameday operations and the timing of things.

I dont know what it is could be Build Me Up, Buttercup.  If you have more than one, even better.  Even Wisconsin has some gameday issues.  Takes them a quarter and a half to fill in their student section in 1 row at a time.  I wish we had their problems.

Yes, I am old. I like the chanting part of this:   

sealhall74

Whatever the song or songs are, we need an ambassador like Doc Nix to promote them during the game.  Basketball arena smaller to work with but when that theme song comes on, he is running to the other end of court to the student section and waving his baton getting them involved.  In the old days, the Peach Blossoms were really a platoon of Doc Nixes.  Today, it will take a special guy or gal, one who is going to be around longer than 4 years.

https://iowa.pbslearningmedia.org/resou ... o/my-path/
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:58 am Whatever the song or songs are, we need an ambassador like Doc Nix to promote them during the game.  Basketball arena smaller to work with but when that theme song comes on, he is running to the other end of court to the student section and waving his baton getting them involved.  In the old days, the Peach Blossoms were really a platoon of Doc Nixes.  Today, it will take a special guy or gal, one who is going to be around longer than 4 years.

I nominate you.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:05 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:58 am Whatever the song or songs are, we need an ambassador like Doc Nix to promote them during the game.  Basketball arena smaller to work with but when that theme song comes on, he is running to the other end of court to the student section and waving his baton getting them involved.  In the old days, the Peach Blossoms were really a platoon of Doc Nixes.  Today, it will take a special guy or gal, one who is going to be around longer than 4 years.

I nominate you.

A appreciate your sentiments but I need to tell you my music story.  I think it was maybe 4th grade in elementary school, when my school decided it was time to figure out if they had any prospective musicians to look forward to.  They sent us all over to the HS to take a little test conducted by the band director.  From what I remember, it was him holding a couple of drum sticks beating on the top of piano in various rhythm patterns.  IIRC, the questions were like "Is one rhythm pattern the same as another, etc.".  Well, to say the least, the band director told my Dad, also a teacher at the HS, "I dont think your son shows much aptitude" or something to that effect.  Yet my two younger sisters both played in the band (sax and flute).  So I never did much with a musical instrument although my wife and I both now have guitars gathering dust and looking for some love.  Is it too late for a music career?

wiu712

Georgia Tech has been playing "When You Say Bud" ("Go Georgia Tech") at the end of the third quarter for 50 years.

rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:37 pm
rocki wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:05 pm

I nominate you.

A appreciate your sentiments but I need to tell you my music story.  I think it was maybe 4th grade in elementary school, when my school decided it was time to figure out if they had any prospective musicians to look forward to.  They sent us all over to the HS to take a little test conducted by the band director.  From what I remember, it was him holding a couple of drum sticks beating on the top of piano in various rhythm patterns.  IIRC, the questions were like "Is one rhythm pattern the same as another, etc.".  Well, to say the least, the band director told my Dad, also a teacher at the HS, "I dont think your son shows much aptitude" or something to that effect.  Yet my two younger sisters both played in the band (sax and flute).  So I never did much with a musical instrument although my wife and I both now have guitars gathering dust and looking for some love.  Is it too late for a music career?

Never too late. But hell, musically inclined or not, you could run around in front of the crowd waving a baton - or plunger, or whatever. 

sealhall74

Here is another game day thing GMU did really well.  The Tee Shirt Gun Guy.  He was a fan favorite for years.  Had a knack for running around the court teasing fans by aiming in their direction before moving on to the next section.  Sure beats a bunch of cheerleaders with weak arms tossing the shirts.

https://archive.spirit.gmu.edu/2010/11/ ... n-carlson/
Let’s Go Western!

Well…whatever the band and cheerleaders and loud  speaker mgr come up with, make sure the team knows that the song is for them and the fans…what about asking the team about what song they would like for their transition to 4th quarter.  I personally like “let’s get it started” by the black eyed peas for beginning of game or “start me up” by The Rolling Stones.  I found it amazing that the Lynwood team was screaming and jumping up and down basically shouting out their “war cry” so to speak at the 4th quarter transition.  WE NEED SOME SONG or symbol or person to get the LEATHERNECK war cry going.  Perhaps tying our legacy to the Marines with the famous “OORAH” chant, or something tied to our roots to the actual WIU Leatherneck history with Rock Hanson.  A U.S. Marines “HOLD the LINE” “Take the Hill” “Give No Quarter” attitude.  A ROAR
like none other… we need to strike fear into the opponent when they come to our turf!!!  It will help the team to believe in themselves and fire them up!  Those young men and coaches need us to believe in them.  The fans must be the 12th man!  No more apathy!  This starts with game day operations playing the hand they’ve been dealt with outdated facilities, Etc.  We still should expect excellence!
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:39 pm Here is another game day thing GMU did really well.  The Tee Shirt Gun Guy.  He was a fan favorite for years.  Had a knack for running around the court teasing fans by aiming in their direction before moving on to the next section.  Sure beats a bunch of cheerleaders with weak arms tossing the shirts.

The Western ROTC Cannon Squad has a T-Shirt Gun that they were using at various times during the two home games.