Coach Hendrickson

rocki

Let’s wrote: Seriously?  We’re to fire Myers Hendrickson based on A subjective opinion about him not motivating players??? We know this how?  This thread was started based on subjective observations, conjecture and emotional opinions.  I still contend that a revolving door of players and coaches is not the answer. This team has had 3 games to play together. They have performed well in 2.5 quarters of every game.  Against Lynwood, they scored more points than in any game since Hendrickson has been here.  The quarterback threw the ball very well and racked up some great yards.  That little guy (#1) tailback/running back, special teams, whatever-that young man is a thriller! #2 is a good player as well.  We cannot judge this team yet because it’s a whole new team, and I hope to heck they get a chance to prove all of the haters wrong.  We’re lucky we have the players and coaches we have considering the financial situation and the facilities and the location of the University!  Having been in charge of the hiring and firing of employees in my career path…it’s not fun, and you better have your paperwork in order to back up the termination!  These coaches work very hard.  How about supporting them?  

Does anyone in this forum take into account that our coaches and players and their families and friends as well as our opponents read this stuff?  It’s easy to sling mud when one doesn’t have to say some of this crap to the persons face.  How about putting out some positive energy and ease up on the negativity and character bashing.  C’Mon Man!  

First off, let me say I don't think the coach should be fired. If I sounded like that, I apologize, it was not my intent. I'm just curious/nosy/whatever to find out where all the gloom and doom statements are coming from. I don't know if our conditioning program has to do with the lapses late in games, or what. I still think it is fixable - I am very impressed with the new QB, and we have seen glimpses of good things from other players as well.
sealhall74

Replace subjectivity with pure objectivity (last year and current year stats are below), we still suck.  Like last year, we can't run the ball and we can't stop the run.  QB play has improved from last year.  We are not turning the ball over as much this year.  As for late game collapses, that is not a new thing either if I recall from last year.  It can only be attributed to three things (or a combination of them):  1) conditioning 2) depth 3) half-time adjustments 

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_ ... mary_id=-1

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_ ... mary_id=-1

No, we dont fire the coach at this point but we do start to look for improvements in the areas which are shortcomings.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Let’s Go Western!

I’m not going to hold last year over Coach Hendrickson’s head because he inherited a Sh** Show.  We could have won at least 3 games last year, unfortunately, we had a weak secondary and long balls by the opponents did us in. It was sickening.  Hendrickson had to fill a roster and a coaching staff.  Had to play several underclassmen in the strongest conference of the championship series.  (IMHO). If I remember right, had some juries on the O line.  If the statistics for this year are improving every game, then I believe we’re making progress.  The team somehow needs to find a way to close the deal and win the game.  I honestly don’t understand what our issue is there.  Is it conditioning?  The O Line has seen a bunch of blitzing, is that the problem?  We scored enough points last week against Lynwood to win, so what’s up with the defensive line and the secondary?  We could have won the ISU game as well. Lots of blitzing in that game, too.  I honestly do not have the magical answer.  I just cringe when I read statements referring to Coach Hendrickson as a “Clown”.  The first thing I think of is:  What if a recruit or his parents are reading this?  Or:  What if a player or their parents are reading this.  

I’m choosing to stay as positive as possible because I hate seeing those young men walking back to the locker room so bummed out.  The 12th man needs to help them get over the hump!
Let’s Go Western!

From Rocki:
“First off, let me say I don't think the coach should be fired. If I sounded like that, I apologize, it was not my intent. I'm just curious/nosy/whatever to find out where all the gloom and doom statements are coming from. I don't know if our conditioning program has to do with the lapses late in games, or what. I still think it is fixable - I am very impressed with the new QB, and we have seen glimpses of good things from other players as well.”

The O Line has had to deal with a bunch of blitzing in the 2 home games, that’s an area where we need to improve.  I don’t know what the conditioning coach is like or what his program is.  The late game collapses are really demoralizing for the players and the fans.  We need some “Giddy-Up” in those instances…some gladiators to step up and say…”Ah He🏒🏒  No!”  

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Given the current state of:
  • the university's financial situation
  • enrollment
  • college athletics in general
...I'm not surprised by our on-field lack of success over the past few years. We were already a "tough sell" for recruits due to location and facilities before the state budget crisis, but that (and how hard it hit us), plus the previously mentioned coaching staff turnover of the last 8 or so years has made recruiting and fundraising here exceptionally difficult. I do not envy the job that Coach Hen and AD Bubb have to do.
Is Myers the answer?...idk...but he's not going anywhere until his contract is up, and by then we'll have a much better idea if he has any chance of turning this thing around.
Let’s wrote:I just cringe when I read statements referring to Coach Hendrickson as a “Clown”.  The first thing I think of is:  What if a recruit or his parents are reading this?  Or:  What if a player or their parents are reading this.  

I’m choosing to stay as positive as possible because I hate seeing those young men walking back to the locker room so bummed out.  The 12th man needs to help them get over the hump!

I rarely do anything in terms of "editing" or "moderating" what is posted here, but I've changed the title of the thread because I don't think the original title is at all helpful to the current situation. Regardless of how people may feel, getting rid of the HC is not going to happen this season and if there's a chance that a player, recruit, or family members of either could come across this thread and be convinced to not give WIU a shot because of it, I don't want that on my head/our heads.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:43 am Given the current state of:
  • the university's financial situation
  • enrollment
  • college athletics in general
...I'm not surprised by our on-field lack of success over the past few years. We were already a "tough sell" for recruits due to location and facilities before the state budget crisis, but that (and how hard it hit us), plus the previously mentioned coaching staff turnover of the last 8 or so years has made recruiting and fundraising here exceptionally difficult. I do not envy the job that Coach Hen and AD Bubb have to do.
Is Myers the answer?...idk...but he's not going anywhere until his contract is up, and by then we'll have a much better idea if he has any chance of turning this thing around.
Let’s wrote:I just cringe when I read statements referring to Coach Hendrickson as a “Clown”.  The first thing I think of is:  What if a recruit or his parents are reading this?  Or:  What if a player or their parents are reading this.  

I rarely do anything in terms of "editing" or "moderating" what is posted here, but I've changed the title of the thread because I don't think the original title is at all helpful to the current situation. Regardless of how people may feel, getting rid of the HC is not going to happen this season and if there's a chance that a player, recruit, or family members of either could come across this thread and be convinced to not give WIU a shot because of it, I don't want that on my head/our heads.

I agree that in a true fan board there shouldn't be much regulation if any. That said, these are hard times, I respect Lawson's governance over posts. 

The Moderator of Bradleyfans.com, a staunch Jim Les proponent, began deleting everything negative.  He had a buddy named Tornado that had about 10 different names and accounts. That got exposed, the board all but died. It has since seen a revival of sorts, (Moderator posted stuff for like four years that no one commented on). Smart guy, a physician actually.

I  will say this with 100% sincerity. Lawson is the best contributor to https://www.anygivensaturday.com/ I was a contributor, even started threads back before 2007. Abandoned it, once the 'Necks hit the skids in '11. Dormant posters were purged at one point. St_Lawson is very popular there. Humorous, witty, self deprecating, no hyperbole.  Living embodiment of Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people".