State of the Program- Post Week 7 Edition

Bball Fan

Up until the Homecoming game I would have said this year the team was improved over last year, but not now. QB and couple of the Wide Recievers are very good, but both lines are terribly undersized and not up to FCS standards. 

Rockydog

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:41 pm Four games left.  You can play all the young kids without burning a red-shirt.  That is what I would do.  Not about winning games any more.  It is about evaluating the talent you have. 

Sadly, they are not giving any of the redshirts a chance.  They are running the same players who continued to get destroyed week after week.  If they would play the young kids not only could they evaluate talent, they may actually improve 🤷🏻‍♀️

Rockydog

dogwhisper wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:19 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:41 pm Four games left.  You can play all the young kids without burning a red-shirt.  That is what I would do.  Not about winning games any more.  It is about evaluating the talent you have. 

What young guys do you want to see out there? Most  of the 1&2 year guys are playing, only two I can think of that I would like to see play are RB Van and OL Hansen, the rest are either playing or are walk on type kids from what I see.

Absolutely not true!  There are several freshman that had multiple D1 offers who chose to come to WIU.  Certainly not “walk on type kids”.
rocki

Rockydog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:34 pm

What young guys do you want to see out there? Most  of the 1&2 year guys are playing, only two I can think of that I would like to see play are RB Van and OL Hansen, the rest are either playing or are walk on type kids from what I see.

Absolutely not true!  There are several freshman that had multiple D1 offers who chose to come to WIU.  Certainly not “walk on type kids”.

And this scares me. We all know there is talent there for the future, but will they hang in there or transfer out? We can't afford to start from zero yet again, we need to further develop what we have.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:32 am
Rockydog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:34 pm

And this scares me. We all know there is talent there for the future, but will they hang in there or transfer out? We can't afford to start from zero yet again, we need to further develop what we have.

I was bored yesterday, so I browsed around the KWU site.  Since 2015, they have played very well with an overall winning percentage of .82.  Myers was HC for 3 of those years with an even better than that winning percentage (.86)  OK so I asked myself what could a small Christian university of less than 1000 students be doing to win football games.   Well, after looking at the roster, a couple of things struck me.  One, they are recruiting heavily in Texas and California.  Two, an incredible number of athletes on lthe football roster are majoing in "healthy" things like the usual "Sports Management" but also in areas like Physical Training, Pre-Physical Therapy, Fitness and Wellness, ...   I have never seen anything like this.  These guys are llving and breathing sports and fitness thorughout the day their entire college experience.  Anothing interesting tidbit I found  is that former NDSU and now KSU Coach Chris Klieman sent his son to play football there, currently a sophmore DB.  They are doing something there you dont see very often.  I know its apples and oranges compared to FCS football but still interesting.

Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

For the morbidly curious...
Our game against SIU last weekend has cemented itself in our history book, tying for the 4th worst loss in our program's history (2nd worst since we went DI). For reference:
1. 72 points to Lombard in 1971
2. 69 points at Mizzou in 2011
3. 66 points against Western Kentucky in 1968
4t. 63 points at Quincy in 1920
4t. 63 points against SIU last Saturday

We are in the midst of the longest losing streak in school history (21 games) and currently hold the longest losing streak in DI. It's not quite the longest in the NCAA (yet) because there are a couple of D2s and a D3 with longer streaks:
DII Fort Lewis - Last win 10/5/19 (37 games)
DII Lincoln (MO) - Last win 10/19/19 (35 games)
DIII Albright - Last win 9/18/21 (25 games)
FCS WIU - Last win 10/30/21 (21 games)
DIII Lawrence - Last win 10/23/21 (20 games)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Will ANYONE step up and deliver us from this descent into hell???????????????