Head Coaching Search

dogwhisper

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:19 am Everyone is mentioning offensive coaches I thought I might throw a defensive guy in https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football ... winsky/363

Theirs no way we can get a MAC coordinator, difference in salary and level is too great.  Somebody like Gary Bass or Jeff Thorne would be ideal

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

dogwhisper wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:03 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:19 am Everyone is mentioning offensive coaches I thought I might throw a defensive guy in https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football ... winsky/363

Theirs no way we can get a MAC coordinator, difference in salary and level is too great.  Somebody like Gary Bass or Jeff Thorne would be ideal

I wouldn't say there's no way....although a good MAC coordinator is probably moving up to either a HC position at the same level or a similar position at a higher level.
Salary-wise, the OC's at places like Ohio, Buffalo, Miami (OH), and Central Michigan all make around $40k-$50k less than what we were paying Coach Hendrickson. Kent State has Co-OC's and they pay them $52k less than what we were paying Hendrickson.

You find a guy who's interested in becoming a HC and is ok moving down a level to do so, you could get someone in that range. Coach Spack at Illinois State was the DC at Purdue before becoming HC at ILSU. Coach Mallory at INSU was DC at Akron, then DB coach at Michigan and Wyoming before becoming HC at INSU.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

dogwhisper wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:37 pm
GV wrote:Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:21 am Josh Lamberson HC at U of Central Missouri would be a good candidate as well.  Was an FCS Assoc HC/OC for 5 years at Abilene Christian.  Has the Mules 11-1 this year, his 2nd, and in the 2nd round of the D2 playoffs.  He was a QB, GA and Asst Coach at Northwest MO during their hay day in the 2000's.  

Why would he leave UCM, its a better job, pay, facilities, administration all way better.  We need to look at a guy like @TheRealCoach_JB Jason Brown, will need to find somebody whose on the rebound not the rise

Because with all our warts, we are still a Div 1 program.  And as far as pay goes, we would be offering more.  Not a windfall of a raise, but substantial.  You are correct about facilities, and I'm assuming by Administration you are meaning all in.  President to AD.  If so, also likely correct.  But as Scott mentioned in a post earlier, I'm fine being a stepping stone, so Coaches will likely be thinking next 3 years, not a retirement destination.  And we have no where to go but up.  
sealhall74

My 2 pennies.  We are more likely to find a HC willing to relocate to Macomb primarily to be closer to family than someone looking for a 3-year stepping stone to something better.  And history tells us it may not even be a 3 year stint.

Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:53 am My 2 pennies.  We are more likely to find a HC willing to relocate to Macomb primarily to be closer to family than someone looking for a 3-year stepping stone to something better.  And history tells us it may not even be a 3 year stint.

I don't disagree.  I think there are many reasons that the WIU job will look good to different people.  I also think we should be out looking for candidates, not just fielding resumes.  I have a feeling that's all our last AD did.  

basfan445

My semi realistic, yet still a dream hire would be Jason Eck.  He was in Macomb before.  He has done an absolutely amazing job at Idaho.  I could see us reaching out.  Do I think he would be interested?  More than likely not but I believe he would still be the most realistic current FCS head coach candidate for us. 
GV Dad

Looking on Football Scoop, there are several FCS HC openings.  So we'll have some competition.  
WIU2DC

basfan445 wrote:My semi realistic, yet still a dream hire would be Jason Eck.  He was in Macomb before.  He has done an absolutely amazing job at Idaho.  I could see us reaching out.  Do I think he would be interested?  More than likely not but I believe he would still be the most realistic current FCS head coach candidate for us. 
I’m not fully in the loop with coaches and such but isn’t Idaho doing really well? Why would Eck leave Idaho for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

basfan445 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 am My semi realistic, yet still a dream hire would be Jason Eck.  He was in Macomb before.  He has done an absolutely amazing job at Idaho.  I could see us reaching out.  Do I think he would be interested?  More than likely not but I believe he would still be the most realistic current FCS head coach candidate for us. 

He was who I wanted when we got Myers if he doesn’t get an FBS job it won’t take long 
sealhall74

I mentioned his name earlier.  I dont have a clue whether he would entertain the notion of becoming HC at WIU.  But it is an interesting read - tells you a lot about who he is.  He might bring a couple of assistants with him.   If not him, I want a HC with everything else he brings to the table.

https://www.mississippivalleypublishing ... 9058f.html

Embrace the pace of the race.