Head Coaching Search

leatherneckcountry

axe_co17 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:55 pm That’s great to hear! This type of hire will be hard to pull off but those are very encouraging messages. I know when WIU hired Hendrickson you were one of the biggest supporters and continued that support through much of this season. How would you say this Coach is different than Myers Hendrickson? I think Western Illinois needs a coach very different than the previous one to succeed.

Outside of one year at Auburn Myers hadn’t ever coached above the D2 level. Myers simply didn’t have the experience to be a D1 head coach yet. Most of us were skeptical but optimistic at the same time. When it comes to coaching a major part of its relationship I would love to know who he has as assistant coaches lined up if I’m Paul. Coordinators and positions coaches are huge when it comes to recruiting there the ones that the players interact with the most.
Leatherneck57

axe_co17 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:55 pm That’s great to hear! This type of hire will be hard to pull off but those are very encouraging messages. I know when WIU hired Hendrickson you were one of the biggest supporters and continued that support through much of this season. How would you say this Coach is different than Myers Hendrickson? I think Western Illinois needs a coach very different than the previous one to succeed.

I think it’s very important to support the choice that was presented to us. I had high expectations coming into this season and actually had us 3-1 or 2-2 at worst coming out of the first four games and especially after playing ISU to overtime last year. I thought on paper we were a much better team this year and we added a good QB.

We either led at the half, were tied or trailing by 6 or less points. Which has the meaning of being in the game. We just didn’t show up in the second half of any of the first 4 games resulting in an 0-4 start. Once the string of conference play began I slowly lost confidence in the leadership of the program and the ability to put us in a position to win. Most all those games were over at the half and proved we were never a second half team. We continued to play the same kids and get the same results. It was clear we were getting beat up front and we were physically outmatched proving to me that changes should have taken place. The same guys continued to play and perform the same. I would have rather seen true freshman playing and getting game speed experience than watch Matt Morrissey run for his life with every snap playing the same non performing kids. 

I have seen several applicants resumes and I can assure you the experience that all of them have at the D1 level and throughout their career will make the difference. I can’t imagine them not having strong connections in the assistant and coordinator pool. 

Always be moving forward. This gives us a fresh start moving to a new era of Leatherneck football in the OVC and under the direction of a good AD and potentially a fantastic hire for our program! 

leatherneckcountry

Does anyone know if Paul has a date of when they would like to have a coach in place 
Leatherneck57

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:02 am Does anyone know if Paul has a date of when they would like to have a coach in place 

I’m hearing in the next 2-3 weeks. It will be an expedited process. I’m sure initial interviews will begin this week, campus visits the following week and then an announcement. 

Coach Kreczmer is doing a great job running our program as the interim HC. 

meganeck

Leatherneck57 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:55 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:02 am Does anyone know if Paul has a date of when they would like to have a coach in place 

I’m hearing in the next 2-3 weeks. It will be an expedited process. I’m sure initial interviews will begin this week, campus visits the following week and then an announcement. 

Hopefully you are right on the time frame, most teams season will be over with after this weekend, unless you are in the playoffs or in a Championship game. Then with recruiting and the transfer portal, players need to know who the head coach is going to be.

leatherneckcountry

The on Campus visit is always the scariest part for me. I would love to see Kreczmer stay on.
4EverPurple&Gold

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:47 am

The on Campus visit is always the scariest part for me. I would love to see Kreczmer stay on.

Not sure if I want the interim HC from this staff to stay on... but if the kids like him then I say keep. Don't really know much about him 
axe_co17

I’m sure there will be plenty of initial interest, as there should be. Keep in mind a good portion of the qualified pool of candidates will drop off when learning about WIU’s lack of facilities. Some will be surprised there isn’t a football building, but almost all will be shocked when they see Western Hall. Running an FCS Program out of two offices isn’t a recipe for success and I would think the Vikings headquarters is not only more comfortable, but more reassuring that the people behind you are aligned in your vision for success. How does Western overcome that? Pie in the sky thinking only works for so long… 
vatusay

Here’s one that I’m sure people will scoff and laugh at. Dereck Leonard just won his 9th state championship at Rochester high school. Sadly, I’d bet their facilities are just as good as WIU.  

I know he’s only a high school coach, but I believe you are either a leader or not. You can either win games or not.

I have heard from players that have gone to college that have attended his camps that they are top notch. 

the Vikings assistant seems like he would bring some energy/major connections. There is a lengthy interview with him on YouTube that is worth a watch if would like to get a feel for who he is. Sounds like he is always up for a challenge and something new. 

Last edited by vatusay on Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Rockydog

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:47 am

Not sure if I want the interim HC from this staff to stay on... but if the kids like him then I say keep. Don't really know much about him 

I believe he’s been guaranteed a spot on the new staff, which is crazy.  Whether the kids like him or not, he’s been on the staff for the 0-22 record as well, so clearly isn’t effective. If I’m not mistaken he was a literally a HS coach before coming to WIU.