Head Coaching Search

4EverPurple&Gold

Rockydog wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:45 am
4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:47 am

The on Campus visit is always the scariest part for me. I would love to see Kreczmer stay on.

Not sure if I want the interim HC from this staff to stay on... but if the kids like him then I say keep. Don't really know much about him 

I believe he’s been guaranteed a spot on the new staff, which is crazy.  Whether the kids like him or not, he’s been on the staff for the 0-22 record as well, so clearly isn’t effective. If I’m not mistaken he was a literally a HS coach before coming to WIU.

Damn did not know those two things... well I meant keep on him staff an an water boy or something.

rocki

axe_co17 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:16 am I’m sure there will be plenty of initial interest, as there should be. Keep in mind a good portion of the qualified pool of candidates will drop off when learning about WIU’s lack of facilities. Some will be surprised there isn’t a football building, but almost all will be shocked when they see Western Hall. Running an FCS Program out of two offices isn’t a recipe for success and I would think the Vikings headquarters is not only more comfortable, but more reassuring that the people behind you are aligned in your vision for success. How does Western overcome that? Pie in the sky thinking only works for so long… 

I realize our facilities and such are sorely lacking, but wouldn't putting a winning product on the field lead toward more interest in improving the whole thing? I mean, we're hearing "get rid of football" after the 0-22 record, wouldn't a much better record take things on an upswing? We're almost at a chicken/egg argument - which comes first, a decent product or better facilities?

leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:08 pm
axe_co17 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:16 am I’m sure there will be plenty of initial interest, as there should be. Keep in mind a good portion of the qualified pool of candidates will drop off when learning about WIU’s lack of facilities. Some will be surprised there isn’t a football building, but almost all will be shocked when they see Western Hall. Running an FCS Program out of two offices isn’t a recipe for success and I would think the Vikings headquarters is not only more comfortable, but more reassuring that the people behind you are aligned in your vision for success. How does Western overcome that? Pie in the sky thinking only works for so long… 

I realize our facilities and such are sorely lacking, but wouldn't putting a winning product on the field lead toward more interest in improving the whole thing? I mean, we're hearing "get rid of football" after the 0-22 record, wouldn't a much better record take things on an upswing? We're almost at a chicken/egg argument - which comes first, a decent product or better facilities?

As much as I agree we had the product for a while and nothing came poor leadership back in the day has gotten us to where we’re at now 
Rockydog

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:47 am
Leatherneck57 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:55 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:02 am Does anyone know if Paul has a date of when they would like to have a coach in place 

I’m hearing in the next 2-3 weeks. It will be an expedited process. I’m sure initial interviews will begin this week, campus visits the following week and then an announcement. 

Coach Kreczmer is doing a great job running our program as the interim HC. 

The on Campus visit is always the scariest part for me. I would love to see Kreczmer stay on.

I’m curious why you’d love to see Kreczmer stay.  Maybe I’m missing something?

rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:14 pm
rocki wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:08 pm

As much as I agree we had the product for a while and nothing came poor leadership back in the day has gotten us to where we’re at now 

No argument from me - we're paying out the nose for the poor leadership decisions going several years back (to my mind). So, then, for me the question is what exactly can "we" do to improve our chances of getting interest back into football/building better facilities? I'm sure we have some very well-off alumni, but I'm also sure we have some that are not able to donate a lot. I'm ready for solutions to these problems - or even ideas to solve them - from anyone. Money raising ideas, anyone?
Leatherneck57

I can assure you that all the candidates
have done their homework and know people who know WIU and the facilities we have. When applying for the job they are applying for the job. 

I spoke with a candidate from UIW (University of Incarnate Word) and he bet me money WIU’s facilities are way nicer than UIW has. He said their press box looks like duck blinds and the stadium seats like 3500. When that staff came on they took an 0-11 program to the semi-finals last year losing to NDSU. He also said they didn’t have enough office space so they turned the coaches locker room into office space. He said facilities don’t make winners…people do. Bring in the right players and you can win.

axe_co17

Facilities matter. If they didn’t, would everyone be in the facilities race they’re in? The game has changed a lot just in the last few years. Players at FCS level have NIL deals in several places. This isn’t the good old days of being a Neck while winning with less while the proud alumni sit around without opening their wallet. But for one issue, I have a solution. Western Hall has a a couple office spaces for a full coaching staff… how is that acceptable? The WIU Campus surely has empty rooms, halls, floors, and given the state of the university probably empty buildings. Wouldn’t a logical temporary solution be moving the staff into a different space. An area where coaches can have position meetings like every other FCS school. Then, and maybe then, the players will develop more and improve faster.
Leatherneck57

axe_co17 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 pm Facilities matter. If they didn’t, would everyone be in the facilities race they’re in? The game has changed a lot just in the last few years. Players at FCS level have NIL deals in several places. This isn’t the good old days of being a Neck while winning with less while the proud alumni sit around without opening their wallet. But for one issue, I have a solution. Western Hall has a a couple office spaces for a full coaching staff… how is that acceptable? The WIU Campus surely has empty rooms, halls, floors, and given the state of the university probably empty buildings. Wouldn’t a logical temporary solution be moving the staff into a different space. An area where coaches can have position meetings like every other FCS school. Then, and maybe then, the players will develop more and improve faster.

Hey man…I’m not disputing what you’re saying. I totally agree with you that there has to be space somewhere on campus to do this. That is a great idea and makes sense. I’m wondering if anyone has ever thought of that? 

All I’m saying is there are more schools in the same situation as us or worse than we think. It’s not just up to the football alumni to open their wallets. It’s up to everyone that has a love for WIU and Leatherneck sports. 

leatherneckcountry

Leatherneck57 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:46 pm
axe_co17 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 pm Facilities matter. If they didn’t, would everyone be in the facilities race they’re in? The game has changed a lot just in the last few years. Players at FCS level have NIL deals in several places. This isn’t the good old days of being a Neck while winning with less while the proud alumni sit around without opening their wallet. But for one issue, I have a solution. Western Hall has a a couple office spaces for a full coaching staff… how is that acceptable? The WIU Campus surely has empty rooms, halls, floors, and given the state of the university probably empty buildings. Wouldn’t a logical temporary solution be moving the staff into a different space. An area where coaches can have position meetings like every other FCS school. Then, and maybe then, the players will develop more and improve faster.

Hey man…I’m not disputing what you’re saying. I totally agree with you that there has to be space somewhere on campus to do this. That is a great idea and makes sense. I’m wondering if anyone has ever thought of that? 

All I’m saying is there are more schools in the same situation as us or worse than we think. It’s not just up to the football alumni to open their wallets. It’s up to everyone that has a love for WIU and Leatherneck sports. 

It's why in my opinion the next coach deeps to be able to develop talent more than being an excellent recruiter.

Rockydog

Colorado has shown us that if you bring in a big name, create excitement, and win a few games,  everything else will come.  Now, I realize we can’t hire Deion Sanders, but we’ve seen the model work.  So no pressure, but we HAVE to hire the right guy this time.

Colorado Athletic Director Rick George has said in multiple interviews that they didn’t have the money to pay Deion’s salary, but they knew it would come:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 85907007/#