Head Coaching Search

rocki

vatusay wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:57 pm I saw standout LB Jason Williams commented on the prairie state article Facebook link. He said “just make sure there is a spot for me”

I think getting him on staff in any capacity would be a great hire. Strength and conditioning. Linebackers. 

Would really like having him on staff!!!!!! (And heaven knows, strength and conditioning needs a LOT of work!!!!)
KeyboardNeck2017

rocki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 pm
vatusay wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:57 pm I saw standout LB Jason Williams commented on the prairie state article Facebook link. He said “just make sure there is a spot for me”

I think getting him on staff in any capacity would be a great hire. Strength and conditioning. Linebackers. 

Would really like having him on staff!!!!!! (And heaven knows, strength and conditioning needs a LOT of work!!!!)

What specifically does the strength and conditioning staff need to do better? 

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

KeyboardNeck2017 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:54 am
rocki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 pm Would really like having him on staff!!!!!! (And heaven knows, strength and conditioning needs a LOT of work!!!!)

In the first halves of our games, we were outscored an average of 8.5 ppg to 21.6 ppg.
In the second halves of our games, we were outscored an average of 4.1 ppg to 24.6 ppg, and a number of our second-half scores were late in the 4th when we were already down by a ton ("garbage time points").

At halftime, the following games were 1-score games that we ended up losing:
  • NMSU - down 20-14 at half, 58-21 final
  • ILSU - down 13-9 at half, 34-18 final
  • LU - up 31-14 at half, 43-40 final
  • SUU - tied at 17 at half, 37-17 final
  • INSU - down 7-6 at half, 27-6 final
If you remove "garbage time" TDs (8 or fewer minutes left in the 4th quarter, already down by 35+ points), then we we averaged 2.3 points per game in the second halves.
Same garbage-time filter, we scored 25 total points in the second half of all of our games combined. Six of our opponents individually scored more than that in the second halves that they played against us: NMSU had 38, LU had 29, UND had 28, MSU had 28, SIU had 28, and USD had 28.

Strength and Conditioning isn't the whole story...if the offense doesn't move the ball, then the defense spends more time on the field and gets tired sooner...but it is a part of it. The thing is, we were solidly in the middle on average Time of Possession for the season...29:43 average...68th of 122 in the FCS. We have had seasons where we had much worse TOP. For example, in 2019 we had a TOP of 25:50...123rd in the FCS out of 124 teams...but we at least won a game that year, and many of the games were much closer than the games this season.

Strength and Conditioning helps to keep the team "in the game" for a much longer time, rather than completely running out of steam after one half of football.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
KeyboardNeck2017

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:22 pm
rocki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 pm Would really like having him on staff!!!!!! (And heaven knows, strength and conditioning needs a LOT of work!!!!)

In the first halves of our games, we were outscored an average of 8.5 ppg to 21.6 ppg.
In the second halves of our games, we were outscored an average of 4.1 ppg to 24.6 ppg, and a number of our second-half scores were late in the 4th when we were already down by a ton ("garbage time points").

If you remove "garbage time" TDs (8 or fewer minutes left in the 4th quarter, already down by 35+ points), then we we averaged 2.3 points per game in the second halves.
Same garbage-time filter, we scored 25 total points in the second half of all of our games combined. Six of our opponents individually scored more than that in the second halves that they played against us: NMSU had 38, LU had 29, UND had 28, MSU had 28, SIU had 28, and USD had 28.

Strength and Conditioning isn't the whole story...if the offense doesn't move the ball, then the defense spends more time on the field and gets tired sooner...but it is a part of it. The thing is, we were solidly in the middle on average Time of Possession for the season...29:43 average...68th of 122 in the FCS. We have had seasons where we had much worse TOP. For example, in 2019 we had a TOP of 25:50...123rd in the FCS out of 124 teams...but we at least won a game that year, and many of the games were much closer than the games this season.

Strength and Conditioning helps to keep the team "in the game" for a much longer time, rather than completely running out of steam after one half of football.

I should've given some context to my question.

I was a member of the Strength and Conditioning staff at WIU from 2017-2019 and have been following these threads since then. I notice that year to year members will call for the S&C staff to be fired and this season I have seen people say the program is worse than a high school. 

Food for Thought: 

S&C staff members from WIU that have left since the Charlie Fisher Era they have accumulated:
3 Straight D2 Playoff Berths
1 Big Sky Championship and a trip to the playoff semi finals
1 OVC Championship and a trip to the playoff quarter finals
3 MVFC Championships (One of which was the COVID Season so * if you want)
1 FCS National Championship

When S&C coaches leave WIU, they win championships. Do they all suddenly get better at their jobs? Is it more likely the infrastructure of the WIU athletics department is well below what a winning team needs and its much easier to blame the S&C staff than accept accountability for poor coaching and decision making? 

leatherneckcountry

So if they want a coach by Friday I would expect to start hearing names by Monday or Tuesday 
Neckfansince71

Yes, I think that the on campus visits will be early next week.  How many?  I would say 3 for sure.  We should have more solid information by this weekend.  jc ;)

leatherneckcountry

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:19 pm Yes, I think that the on campus visits will be early next week.  How many?  I would say 3 for sure.  We should have more solid information by this weekend.  jc ;)

Maybe we’ll see someone at the ball game this weekend 
rocki

rocki wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:03 pm

Strength and conditioning. We were out of gas by halftime. Not a way to win games.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

KeyboardNeck2017 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:22 pm

I should've given some context to my question.

I was a member of the Strength and Conditioning staff at WIU from 2017-2019 and have been following these threads since then. I notice that year to year members will call for the S&C staff to be fired and this season I have seen people say the program is worse than a high school. 

Food for Thought: 

S&C staff members from WIU that have left since the Charlie Fisher Era they have accumulated:
3 Straight D2 Playoff Berths
1 Big Sky Championship and a trip to the playoff semi finals
1 OVC Championship and a trip to the playoff quarter finals
3 MVFC Championships (One of which was the COVID Season so * if you want)
1 FCS National Championship

When S&C coaches leave WIU, they win championships. Do they all suddenly get better at their jobs? Is it more likely the infrastructure of the WIU athletics department is well below what a winning team needs and it’s much easier to blame the S&C staff than accept accountability for poor coaching and decision making? 

It’s absolutely a facilities issue. I don’t think I’ve ever personally called for anyone on the strength and conditioning staff to be fired (if I did, I apologize). My references to “Strength and Conditioning” were directed towards the whole program…facilities included. Obviously something needs to change; hopefully moving to the OVC will help a little, and hopefully a few wins on the record will help convince a few more people to support the program and help them get some better equipment.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
34blast

The head coach needs a holistic approach to building a program.  A man with a vision of success in the future.  I'm waiting to see who turns up.   But I only watched a few games,  but we seemed slower, weaker,  and not exhibiting sound technique.    We need good recruiters to get the best talent we can.   At FCS level,  many of the guys will be less heralded but have potential.  Many will need to hit the weights seriously to get bigger, stronger and faster.  That takes a good strength and conditioning program and time.   So there might be guys at say OL that come in like 6'4" 260 but weak and chubby.   By year three you are hoping for about 300 pound strong human with sound fundamentals.   At this level,  the strength and conditioning program program might be more important than elite D1 prospects,  as they have further to get to a good level.  That said,  you don't need overly expensive stuff,  but have the right stuff and the right program to make it happen.