Transfers

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:https://x.com/sethglatz/status/1730023978771612032?s=46

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today was the first day that non-graduates can enter the portal, I think.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
bignecks

I know others here think otherwise, but I thought Glatz was our best back. Stinks we're losing him. 
leatherneckcountry

bignecks wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:14 pm I know others here think otherwise, but I thought Glatz was our best back. Stinks we're losing him. 

Being our best back really isn’t saying anything 

rocki

bignecks wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:14 pm I know others here think otherwise, but I thought Glatz was our best back. Stinks we're losing him. 

He definitely had promise, but there were a couple others that played that I felt were just as good. It is what it is - it's hard to say what will happen when the new coach is named. 
Leatherneck57

rocki wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:49 pm

He definitely had promise, but there were a couple others that played that I felt were just as good. It is what it is - it's hard to say what will happen when the new coach is named. 

Also, 471 FCS players entered the portal today, so overall 1,096 D1 players entered today. 

Better get used to it…that’s college football today.

The candidate we interviewed today said back in 2019 everyone was like “if you don’t want to be here…we don’t want you here. Today he said you can’t be like that anymore. You just move on.

Mike Scifres is coaching at UCLA and said today they had their first practice in preparation for their bowl game against Boise State without 4 starters that entered the portal yesterday. It’s today college football environment. Kids are leaving winning programs in search of that money!

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Can’t remember if I mentioned it here or not, but NDSU has multiple players with $1 mil+ NIL offers to play at FBS teams. The era of most players sticking around for 4-5 years is over. You might get 2-3 if you’re lucky, but the best teams are going to be the ones who know how to work the new “free agency” system.

bignecks

Hot take time. I know the rules are what they are now. But I thought the argument for and against NIL was an incomplete argument. The choices aren't only for three years following college players can't make money or they can make money. I think we need to look at the NFL 3 year rule. Should colleges continue to serve as NFL prep? I say no. Let the players have the ability to be paid by going pro. Let's get an NFL developmental system similar to AAA baseball going. Let's put pressure on the NCAA to give money back to athletes. Not in the form of pay, but let's have them expand scholarship access to other sports on their own dime. Just my thoughts. 
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

bignecks wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:24 pm Hot take time. I know the rules are what they are now. But I thought the argument for and against NIL was an incomplete argument. The choices aren't only for three years following college players can't make money or they can make money. I think we need to look at the NFL 3 year rule. Should colleges continue to serve as NFL prep? I say no. Let the players have the ability to be paid by going pro. Let's get an NFL developmental system similar to AAA baseball going. Let's put pressure on the NCAA to give money back to athletes. Not in the form of pay, but let's have them expand scholarship access to other sports on their own dime. Just my thoughts. 

Honestly, I think something like that plus what the NCAA president has said should be an option to be considered.

I say they need to split off the football programs to be legally separate entities that rent facilities from their "host" universities. Have the NCAA put rules back in place that only allow scholarships and cost of attendance reimbursement for student-athletes so that university athletic programs can get back to a bit more "even footing".

You end up with a school like...say Ohio State...splitting off their football program to be "Buckeye Football Inc." or something. They can pay their players (who may or may not be students at the school), the organization pays the school for the use of the facilities, and they form a conference/league with similar-level teams across the country. Meanwhile, in another part of the state, a team like Youngstown State football stays a part of the college athletics program and covers the cost of attendance for student-athletes, but is not allowed to pay their players or have NIL deals.

This would allow the "big time" programs that make money to be able to have their own set of rules for paying "employees", while schools that do not make money (the majority of college football programs) don't have to try to directly compete with schools and NIL collectives that can throw a couple million $ at a player. You also don't have that financial incentive that leads to a swimming team, soccer team, or lacrosse team from California playing in the same conference as a school in Florida, Virginia, or Massachusetts.

bignecks

WIU2DC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:25 pm https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-baker-n ... 167026dbe6

I don't like this at all. I have no interest in watching the pay league and also no interest in watching a feeder league to the pay league. Hard pass.