Transfers

meganeck

vatusay wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 am Sorry, but I despise the transfer portal.  I think it hurts as many student athletes as it helps. 

Agree, I wonder how many enter the portal then get left out in the cold, with no school to transfer to or end up in a worse situation.
meganeck

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:23 am I heard Michigan and Northwestern were the only 2 schools that didn't have any one go into the portal these first days. I assume that is probably only FBS schools and it might only be P5 schools not sure on that, but still an interesting note.

Not that anybody really cares but I did see NW had 3 guys enter the portal now, but Michigan was still listed at 0.
vatusay

meganeck wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:28 pm
vatusay wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:55 am Sorry, but I despise the transfer portal.  I think it hurts as many student athletes as it helps. 

Agree, I wonder how many enter the portal then get left out in the cold, with no school to transfer to or end up in a worse situation.

Or like in Colorado. New coach comes in and can practically just boot all the existing kids on roster to the street because they have a roster in the portal. 
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Relevant article: https://sports.yahoo.com/the-transfer-p ... .tsrc=1317

I think it's a good thing for many kids who are stuck in a bad situation, but it would be nice if there was some way to put rules in place to keep the flexibility for the players while also not turning the FCS into a "feeder program" for the FBS teams.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Rockydog

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:36 am Relevant article: https://sports.yahoo.com/the-transfer-p ... .tsrc=1317

I think it's a good thing for many kids who are stuck in a bad situation, but it would be nice if there was some way to put rules in place to keep the flexibility for the players while also not turning the FCS into a "feeder program" for the FBS teams.

From my understanding, over half of the FCS portal entries stay at the FCS level or actually go down to D2.  There is a very small percentage that make the jump to FBS.  

huskie

0-22  Trust me, any kid that leaves this program is replaceable.
meganeck

I see they offered a transfer QB, who has 1 year of eligibility left.
rocki

So, any thoughts on whether this hire helps keep kids here or sends them to the portal? I don't know anyone in the program, so I am clueless on whether this  will help or hurt the current players.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm So, any thoughts on whether this hire helps keep kids here or sends them to the portal? I don't know anyone in the program, so I am clueless on whether this  will help or hurt the current players.

Not knowing anyone personally, but I would think if you are an offensive playmaker (QB, RB, WR), you probably love the selection.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Rockydog

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:55 pm
rocki wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm So, any thoughts on whether this hire helps keep kids here or sends them to the portal? I don't know anyone in the program, so I am clueless on whether this  will help or hurt the current players.

Not knowing anyone personally, but I would think if you are an offensive playmaker (QB, RB, WR), you probably love the selection.

I would offer a different perspective.  If you are an offensive player (QB, RB, WR, TE), who obviously didn’t have a ton of success last season, you could be very worried that the new coach will bring in his guys from his previous team and his recruits since WIU and EIU are recruiting much of the same areas.