Welcome to Macomb Coach Davis!!

LeatherCy

I asked local sports writer/radio sports guy if he knew Davis. He said Farley didn't want to hire him but was over ruled my then AD Troy Dannen who when to to Tulan and just got the Washington job. I believe Davis was only at UNI one year.

Farley goes through coached like water! Word is he is VERY dificult to work for..lost two Assts couple weeks ago to LA Tech. One had been with him a long time, went to Kent State last year. When Head Coach went to work for blowhard Deon Neon the coach came back to UNI. After just a year being back he left for LA TECH.

Been told he expects long hours, focused on FB 24/7 and the pay isn't worth a damn. About 10 years ago an asst coach had been at UNI for five years. He left to become HC at his high school alma mater in FL and received a significant pay raise. 

A lot of the IA High School coaches don't care for Farley but really like former 10 year NFL vet Bryce Paup who played for the Packers and Bills and like most UNI players is a small town Iowa guy.
leatherneckcountry

From everything I heard Davis wanted an uptempo offense and Farley wanted the slow offense 
dogwhisper

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:44 pm From everything I heard Davis wanted an uptempo offense and Farley wanted the slow offense 

Better hire a good DC, I’m pretty sure Hendrickson was gonna tear it up with an uptempo offense as well, I’m sure this is why Farley changed coordinators.
axe_co17

Western doesn’t have a DC yet? Joe Davis went into an FCS interview with Paul Bubb, alumni, and players. You would think he had a list of 3-5 potential coordinators. If not, you start to wonder how prepared he was and might be. Even then, he has had over three weeks to put staff in place, including coordinators. I’m sure someone is lined up for the job. If not, how are they recruiting defensive players? There’s an evaluation process and a number of factors with that. How many December signees or mid-years were defensive players?
WIU2DC

meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:05 am 📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/8iMAyCm6 ... tid=vo1riV

Not surprised I guess, but didn't realize WIU was last in FCS in rushing yards per game and most sacks allowed.

In the story he confirmed he will be calling the plays, which I wondered if he would do, also said he will be coaching QBs.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

axe_co17 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:14 pm Western doesn’t have a DC yet? Joe Davis went into an FCS interview with Paul Bubb, alumni, and players. You would think he had a list of 3-5 potential coordinators. If not, you start to wonder how prepared he was and might be. Even then, he has had over three weeks to put staff in place, including coordinators. I’m sure someone is lined up for the job. If not, how are they recruiting defensive players? There’s an evaluation process and a number of factors with that. How many December signees or mid-years were defensive players?

Hiring the right people takes time. This will not be an overnight (or 1-year) fix. I'd rather he take an extra few weeks to get the right DC than hire whoever is available right away and end up with years of more defensive struggles. Like the article says, he's interviewing people at a pretty big coaches conference this weekend. Now that the season is over for all but 4 college football teams and other team's coaches have more flexibility, things should start to move a little faster.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
NewNeck

Agreed. Davis has been to playoffs multiple times. He knows what it’s all supposed to look like.  :ugeek: