The move to the OVC... LOVE IT

Athletics Department, Facilities, etc.
4EverPurple&Gold

After watching our men’s basketball team this season, all I can see is THANK YOU Paul Bubb for moving us to the OVC. We can finally compete and win games. Too many times I didn’t even bother watching when we played games in the Summit League. Would always get beat up and just embarrassed at times. This season we already have a really good chance to get into the NCAA Tournament… finally!!!! Also hope this brings out more students and those in the community to watch. Go Necks!!
wiu712

Next games will be this Saturday (Jan 20) vs Tennessee State.  

This will be the Alumni Tailgate Game.

rocki

4EverPurple&Gold wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:21 am After watching our men’s basketball team this season, all I can see is THANK YOU Paul Bubb for moving us to the OVC. We can finally compete and win games. Too many times I didn’t even bother watching when we played games in the Summit League. Would always get beat up and just embarrassed at times. This season we already have a really good chance to get into the NCAA Tournament… finally!!!! Also hope this brings out more students and those in the community to watch. Go Necks!!

I will add that since we've started conference play, we have had double-headers rather than one team home and one away. I think that adds a lot to the gameday experience as well. Nicely done!!!!!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

And, we'll get to be on a linear ESPN channel for the first time since the 2011-12 Summit League Championship game: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... espnu.aspx
Our game at Southern Indiana on 1/25 will be on ESPNU.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:54 pm And, we'll get to be on a linear ESPN channel for the first time since the 2011-12 Summit League Championship game: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... espnu.aspx

I scratch my head wondering why ESPNU is better than ESPN+.  It is not IMHO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
bignecks

ESPNU will have a much higher level of production. Plus I might be able to talk a friend or two into watching it if it's on tv. 
sealhall74

bignecks wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:15 pm ESPNU will have a much higher level of production. Plus I might be able to talk a friend or two into watching it if it's on tv. 

Give me even a fuzzy and muted video stream with BJ Stone on the radio piped in for the audio and I am happy as a lark.  I dont get ESPNU right now.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A lot of people still consider ESPNU a "real" sports channel, but not ESPN+. There are currently 37.9 million households that get ESPNU, but 26 million that subscribe to ESPN+, although the direction things are trending, + is likely to surpass U in a few years.

For us hardcore WIU fans, it probably doesn't make a big difference, but casual fans or people just flipping through channels looking for a game, it's going to be much easier to stumble across a game on U than it is on +.

Also, places like BWW and sports bars will often put all the various linear ESPN channels on their TVs, but not anything only on ESPN+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
4EverPurple&Gold

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:54 pm And, we'll get to be on a linear ESPN channel for the first time since the 2011-12 Summit League Championship game: https://goleathernecks.com/news/2024/1/ ... espnu.aspx

This is a big opporuntiy for the program. 

ESPNU has bigger name draw than ESPN+.

Hope for a good crowd too next home game

may know

Your odds of being seen by casual fans and sports bars across the country are infinitely higher if you are playing on a national linear tv channel like ESPNU. The only people or bars watching a game on espn+ are those who are specifically seeking out that game on espn+

The move to the OVC has been a Godsend. We are eons more relevant by virtue of being in the hunt for a conference title. This is so much more fun. Word spreads throughout alumni when you're battling for 1st place!