vs Southern Indiana

meganeck

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:57 pm
NecksFan1523 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:41 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:56 pm

In the WILP-FM Post-Game Show, Coach Boudreau said it was something that he said.

Western wins the game 82-76

Jesiah West was Western's lead scorer with 18 points.  He also had 9 rebounds.

Drew Cisse had 12 rebounds.

Western was 22 of 29 (76%) on free throws.

The North Fulton Jr High Boys Basketball team was at today's game.

Attendance at Western Hall = 1,173

Current OVC Standings:
Morehead State  12-4
Little Rock  12-4
Tennessee-Martin  12-4
Western  11-5
Tennessee State  10-6
SIU-Edwardsville  9-7
Eastern Illinois  7-9
Tennessee Tech  5-11
Southern Indiana  5-11
Southeast Missouri State  3-13
Lindenwood  2-14

I would like to know exactly how they come up with their attendance numbers. I've been to two games physical in person this season (home games against SEMO and Morehead St) as well as have watched a majority of the conference games on ESPN+. I feel like our attendance numbers being posted are much lower then they should be based on what I've seen in person and on the stream. For instance the SEMO game had 629 as the posted attendance, which is to be expected for a game over the holiday break like that. However, on Thursday vs Morehead St it looked significantly more packed, as well as having a full student section behind the east end hoop, and yet posted attendance was only 1,006, not even 400 more people then the SEMO game. Just from what I saw at both games, I would've guessed there was at least twice as many people, if not more on Thursday night vs. that early January game. Then today, attendance was posted at 1,173. While I was not physically in the Hall for today's game, it did not look any more full on TV, and the student section was not nearly as packed as it was Thursday. It may be a small, trivial thing for some people, but making sure our attendance numbers are accurate, especially not leaving people out is important when trying to show growth and fan engagement at home game when there has not been a ton in recent years for the men's team.

I work Thursday nights so I can’t make those games but I would have guessed at least 1500 today. The crowd for the girls game was really impressive as well.

I'm not sure how they do it, but this seems like an annual question, nobody really understands how attendance figures are arrived at. I'm assuming they start with season tickets, how many they sold, but I'm assuming not all season ticket holders make every game, so a ticket might be sold but not an actual person in the seat. Also no idea how they account for students.