vs Eastern Illinois

wiu712

WGEM Prediction:  Western Illinois 70, Eastern Illinois 65

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Massey says a 71% chance of a WIU win with a predicted score of 69-63: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=939090758

EIU won their game on Tuesday against SIUE, 84-79. They are 14-16 overall and 8-9 in the OVC.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
screamingeaglepride

You would think the OVC would schedule this game  on a Saturday
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

screamingeaglepride wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:23 pm You would think the OVC would schedule this game  on a Saturday

I agree that I would have been fun to have EIU be the final regular-season game and on a Saturday. We have a lot of history with EIU; tonight's game will be the 166th meeting (EIU holds a 84-81 series lead), making it, by quite a bit, our most-played series. In a ranking of our four highest-attended games in our program's history, hosting EIU is three of them (#1, #2, and #4). If we had this matchup as the final regular-season game, in our current position of just a game behind the top three teams, we could have a pretty huge crowd for it.

Hopefully people will still turn out for a Thursday game though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western wins 70-66

Quinlan Bennett led the Western scoring with 14 points.  He also had 8 rebounds.

Western was 16 of 27 (59%) on free throws.

Eastern Illinois was 10 of 17 on three-point attempts.

Attendance at Western Hall = 1,047

Western wins the Battle for the Old Railsplitter Axe.

leatherneckcountry

Anyone else not able to get a replay of the game 
wiu712

The Axe stays in Macomb !!

meganeck

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the 2012-13 team was the last team to win 20 games. They are sitting at 19 wins right now and not to jinx them but I think they will get at least one more win this season to reach the 20 win plateau.

I kinda wish they were still in the Summit this year to see how they would have done this season. I think the Summit is down this year so I think they could have definitely finished in the upper half this year.

Was a little disappointed with Coach B on the post game show, they were talking free throws and he admitted they are bad at free throws but said with it so late in the season, nothing they can really do about it. While that is probably true, I was still a little disappointed to hear that. I wonder how much the players work on free throws in practice or on their own.
sealhall74

meganeck wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:40 am Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the 2012-13 team was the last team to win 20 games. They are sitting at 19 wins right now and not to jinx them but I think they will get at least one more win this season to reach the 20 win plateau.

I kinda wish they were still in the Summit this year to see how they would have done this season. I think the Summit is down this year so I think they could have definitely finished in the upper half this year.

Was a little disappointed with Coach B on the post game show, they were talking free throws and he admitted they are bad at free throws but said with it so late in the season, nothing they can really do about it. While that is probably true, I was still a little disappointed to hear that. I wonder how much the players work on free throws in practice or on their own.

At this stage of your career, you can probably get a few % points better with practice.  To make a major change for the better, you probably need to adopt a whole new approach.  

Embrace the pace of the race.